Hondo's Bar

The Game that changed it all

BigChiefSlapaho

Well, i was bout 4 when my brother took me to Beefsteak Charlie's & put me on a barstool to play Pac-Man.  I recall lovin it, along with Donkey Kong, Q*Bert, and Frogger.  We later got an Atari, got those games as well as Pitfall!, Miner 2049er, Tennis, Pole Position, etc but i never got to play em much 'cause i had 2 older brothers at the time hoggin it.

Later on down the road, Jaimey moved out & i got his brand-new Sega Master System. I played the hell outta Hang-On and Safari Hunt, and since i was workin for my family's business, startin pickin up older classics for that system such as Fantasy Zone (an R-type shoot-em-up) and Alex Kidd in Mircale World.

I was always jealous of the kids on the block with an NES tho, admiteddly: i was dyin to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Metal Gear, Punch-Out!!, Golgo 13, Catelvania 2, Kid Icaurs, etc at home rather than moochin.  But what really sealed the deal for my favorite genre was when i got a Genesis for christmas (bought it myself, natch), and got Phantasy Star II with it.  Went headfirst into RPG's and never came back, i guess.

Didnt play my first PC game (outside of 5 minutes of Wolfstein 3D) until college, tho i was so damn curious as to how people could play against one another from different places.  Tried Ultima Online & hated it, then Yahven got me onto Quake II, while Chiefy here & TD got me all about Diablo.  Havent played many PC games since, but i cant wait for City of Heroes - i cant deny the charm of MMORPG's anymore, not since Sega loaded up Phantasy Star Online  :D .

..uh, thats more than anyone wanted to hear, but there it is.

PS I really like video games. I'm a dork who dont care. :D

Hmm, Mike can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the first video game I remember having at home was Buck Rogers on the Adam.  The game was on a cassete that took forever to load, and if anything touched the thing while it was loading, it would crash.  Great game though, as far as I remember it was a vertically scrolling space shooter.  What really got me into games tho was the master system.  Black belt was and still is one of my favs on it, as was Alex kid in miracle world, oh, and Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap took up an immense portion of my childhood, probably the first long game that I seriously sit down for days in a row, wrote down passwordsa and everything else, and beat.  Favorite early computer games where Doom and X-com, each classics in their own rights.

Ahh nostalgia...

Yeah the master system rocked. Still one of the best systems ever made in my opinion, even better than NES. I STILL have sega roms on my PC. Probably my favorite game of all time would be Monster boy in wonder land. I STILL HAVE NOT MANAGED TO BEAT THAT FUCKING GAME! i've been trying for what, 14 years!?!? dear god what sadistic fuck decided to give no continues or passwords just a random roulette style game to decide if you live on or die! The game itsself kicks ass thou, Nice and simple Action sidescroller with a little touch of RPG. a virtual classic.

~TD

I don't recall getting on an actual arcade game, but I did have an atari. I think that's what started it all. My mother never had time to actually take my sister and I out to play games. I loved playing Pitfall and Frogger... I can't remember anyother games for that console right now. But then Nintendo came along and I was just the happiest little girl in the world. And the gameboy was the bonus. I loved playing mario brothers:luigi:( too bad you guys don't have a emotion of mario and the princess). Then there was pacman and Galaxia, Digout. Then I was introduced to Final Fantasy...  :D

And that's how my love started. ( and I forgot to mention Mega Man)

Well... I think it was my ADD which drew me towards the Arcades, what with all them pretty lights.  Rabid dogs couldn't drag me outta there when I was hooked on something.  Begging for quarters became a past-time, "Dude, can you spot a quarter man?"  It got to the point I was faking illnesses to get a game or two on.

Arcade highlights range from Contra to the first Wrestlemania, Killer Instinct, Gauntlet, MVC, Avengers, Street Fighter 2, APB, Strider, SMASH TV... the list continues.

I was first turned to the darkside of PC land with my Tandy T1000.  It was a 80286 IBM platform PC w/ a whopping 128KB Ram.  13" black & white monitor, the whole shabang.  Used to play this game called Rogue.  Day-in, day-out Rogue.  It was the true great-great-grandfather of Diablo.  Your character was an ASCII code smilyface.  You walked him through greyed out passageways to dungeons below in search of the crystal, along you would battle enemy monsters which were represented as letters.  "C" - Centaur.  "O" - Ogre.  It was a trip.  But the hurricane quickly made shit outta my Tandy.  The next step in my evolution was when X-Wing came out.  I vaguely remember playing other PC games too, but none like X-Wing.  I remember TD & I used to huddle in front of his PC & waste ISD's over & over again.  Yep, those were the good ol' days.

I can honestly say, I only remember owning the Atari... my older sister played it, but I don't remember much of it. I actually got hooked before I knew I was hooked. When living in NJ around age 7 or 8 I remember sitting in the "game room" of our house and JUST WATCH my PARENTS play Final Fantasy 1. :D Yup, and here is the shocker...  :0 I still have it and it still works.

I didn't actually start playing till Super Mario 3 for SNES... cause I would play other games but they didn't interest me that much. After that, all I remember is Final Fantasy 7 and all the parts that followed. I guess I'm into all the FFs cause of watching the original. They are all awesome! I have collected them all (well I'm missing 2 of the many gameboy games but I'll get them soon)!!  :0

Used to play this game called Rogue.  Day-in, day-out Rogue. It was the true great-great-grandfather of Diablo.  Your character was an ASCII code smilyface.  You walked him through greyed out passageways to dungeons below in search of the crystal, along you would battle enemy monsters which were represented as letters.  "C" - Centaur.  "O" - Ogre.  It was a trip.

AH HA!!! Busted! you played the ancestor to Gemstone as well my friend! and liked it! Mwahahaha! That was a predecessor to the text based MUD's like gem too. Now granted Gem has evolved obscenely much further than Rogue but you have a glimpse now of how a text based game can keep a man hooked.

~TD

• 3 weeks later...