Hondo's Bar

DJ Shadow

The NZA

51YKBB7AK1L._SS500_.jpg

Shadow's one of the names i came across a lot years back when i was trying to differentiate Drum & Bass (think Goldie), experimental techno (Orbital, Underworld), Trance (Sasha & Digweed by some accounts), and Trip-Hop, something he's claimed to have all but created, at least stateside.

Guy's known for Entroducing... (pictured above), an album i had to read wiki to know was made entirely of samples, which is pretty interesting. Ive heard some of his other stuff ranging from that to instrumental hip-hop, and its often quality across the board. Last id heard from him was the track he did with De La Rocha of Rage, but im in the process of catching up on his more recent works.

Anyway, he's one of those great artists you kinda wanna share, and i cant recall the name of the site that my roomate showed me to play pretty much anything off of, so in lieu of that, here's a link to the video of my as-yet favorite song of his.

DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World

Check it out, lemme know what you think.

Cj lurves the Shadow. His arm is hurting right now.... I hounded him for all night to get on, and he finally told me it hurt :( So I post for him!!!

HE SAYS:

"I've listend to DJ Shadow for a while, but not any of the new stuff. But I really liked his old stuff around '99 to 2000 era. I had his Cd and it was really cool as hell, and listened to it constantly. There was this really good organ song on it but I don't remember what the name was. It was liked a mixed organ song; it was great."

We went to youtube and found it! "Organ Donor"

Edited by MetalHeart

nice. from the album featured above, or could he mebbe narrow down which album? again, im here just downloading his discography so im sure ill stumble on it eventually, just good to know where to start.

Ray-Ray, lemme know what you think of the song, too!

Edited my first post to put the video in! Didn't see your reply till afterwards. We found the song, it's called "Organ Donor" and it's off the album you mentioned "Entroducing....." He loved that album. I'll have to download it for him because he lost it a while back!

PS This is a super cool song! definitely check out the video.

Edited by MetalHeart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Pitchfork.

tEnp9.jpg

DJ Shadow will soon offer fans a peek inside his formative years, compiling a collection of previously unreleased instrumental tracks created from 1992 to 1996. Total Breakdown: Hidden Transmissions From the MPC Era, 1992-1996 focuses on his early experimentation on the Akai MPC. It includes tracks from a scrapped 1994 EP he planned with the Gift of Gab, like the demo that eventually became The Private Press single "Six Days".

There's no release date scheduled yet, but the project will eventually be available on CD, double-vinyl and digitally via DJShadow.com with bonus tracks. After the tracklist, listen to a 1996 cut from the collection "Affectations", in exchange for an email address. Also check out the 1992 track "Dreams of a Piece" via LRG.

Total Breakdown: Hidden Transmissions From the MPC Era, 1992-1996

01 Intropy (Original Version)

02 Vee in Detroit

03 Dreams of a Piece

04 The Not-So-Quiet Storm

05 Fast Rap Fanfare

06 Intensely Hitting

07 Mystical With Solo

08 Alright

09 Don't Try It

10 From the Old School

11 Freddi's Popcorn

12 Quickstep

13 Movin' On (Gab Demo 1)

14 Falling Up

15 Mellow But Chunky

16 Total Breakdown (Gab Demo 2)

17 Heavy Mood

18 Affectations

19 Perilous Journey (Gab Demo 3)

20 Aye

21 Brittle But Magic

22 Atmospheric Disturbances

23 Swimming Upstream (Gab Demo 4)

24 Up for Grabs

DJShadow.com Bonus Tracks:

25 Give Up the Drums

26 Slow Poke

27 Vortex

MPC-era Shadow...i'm not expecting Entroducing, but my hopes are pretty high.

• 7 years later...

DJ Shadow announces new double-album, "Our Pathetic Age" (featuring Run the Jewels, Nas, De La Soul, and a bunch more)

DJ Shadow is returning this fall with a star-studded double album. His first release in three years, Our Pathetic Age is due out on November 15th via Mass Appeal Records.

The Mountain Will Fall follow-up collects a total of 23 tracks. The first half is comprised of instrumental works, including his “first fully composed orchestral piece,” per a statement. As for the remaining songs, they see DJ Shadow join forces with multiple famous faces, collaborators old and new, from the worlds of hip-hop, indie rock, and beyond.

Our Pathetic Age Tracklist:
01. Nature Always Wins
02. Slingblade
03. Intersectionality
04. Beauty, Power, Motion, Life, Work, Chaos, Law
05. Juggernaut
06. Firestorm
07. Weightless
08. Rosie
09. If I Died Today
10. My Lonely Room
11. We Are Always Alone
12. Drone Warfare (feat. Nas, Pharaohe Monch)
13. Rain On Snow (feat. Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon)
14. Rocket Fuel (feat. De La Soul)
15. C.O.N.F.O.R.M. (feat. Gift of Gab, Lateef The Truth Speaker, Infamous Taz)
16. Small Colleges (Stay With Me) (feat. Wiki, Paul Banks)
17. JoJo’s Words (feat. Stro)
18. Kings & Queens (feat. Run the Jewels)
19. Taxin’ (feat. Dave East)
20. Dark Side of the Heart (feat. Fantastic Negrito, Jumbo is Dr.ama)
21. I Am Not A Robot (Interlude)
22. Urgent, Important, Please Read (feat. Rockwell Knuckles, Tef Poe, Daemon)
23. Our Pathetic Age (feat. Samuel T. Herring)

• 1 month later...

I saw Shadow live in Bristol a few years ago at a warehouse venue. It was annoying as I got there around 2000. He started at 0100 and I just had to endure lots of techno/dnb DJs. There was this Romanian lady that liked me though. I should have stayed and chatted with her.

Anyway, he just played his new stuff. I love Endtroducing but not that big on anything else, sadly. 😞