Hondo's Bar

Animation: The Ghetto of Movie & TV?

Reverend Jax

I will create a poll in this thread later, as I want to put some thought into what the poll will ask. If you make a poll initially, and people vote in it, then you want to add more options or questions to the poll, people who have already voted can't revote, so I'm waiting on that.

Alright, so this topic comes up fairly often, and some people (SiBob and Ly among others) feel very passionately about animation not being pigeonholed and stereotyped.

People think of animation only doing things where people are dancing around and doing a lot of histrionics, but animation is not a genre. And people keep saying, "The animation genre." It's not a genre! A Western is a genre! Animation is an art form, and it can do any genre. You know, it can do a detective film, a cowboy film, a horror film, an R-rated film or a kids' fairy tale. But it doesn't do one thing. And, next time I hear, "What's it like working in the animation genre?" I'm going to punch that person!

- Brad Bird, from the audio commentary on the DVD for The Incredibles (2004)

It's hard to make any kind of rational/logical argument to counter that.

As it is now, the forum "Mystery Hondo's Theater 3000" covers all movies and TV shows that are not animated, and "Animation - Anime & cartoons" covers all movie and TV shows that are animated (regardless of nation of origin). Animation used to be a sub forum of MHT3K, but it was upgraded at the end of Sub-forum Appreciation Week.

So, is the segregation fair? Does it just reinforce the sense of "other" that is already prevalent in US culture regarding animation? I mean, there is a distinct art to animation, but with CGI, is that line getting blurrier all the time? We call Sin City and 300 live action, but Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly animation, btu does that really make sense? The first two have all their environments and setting animated, but the latter two were all films with real actors and sets, only to be rotoscoped (sp?) afterwards.

So is this a pointless distinction at this point?

personally, i was always a little confused as to why animation needed a subforum. to me, films are films and series are series. there's artistry in both regardless of medium and genre. i think i commented more on some of the threads in here before an animation sub-forum/forum were created. now, i hardly come in here because there's usually a lot of anime discussion, which is not really my cup of tea.

I agree with Lindsay on this one. Animated shows such as The Venture Brothers and Bleach could probably stay in a seperate forum, however, animated movies are still movies. As time goes by the general public is recognizing animated films as actual movies in there own right. In movies such as Kill Bill animation is used to tell a specific part of a story, and more recently WALL.E did just the opposite.

The only reason why I would keep an Anime forum would be for anime shows, or more specifically, an anime sanctuary for fans of animated t.v. shows or 'manga based' animated series.

I'm fine with whatever the majority decides, but in my opinion Pixar movies and other 'big screen' movies should go in the main movie forum.

I think you're forgetting that Mystery Hondo's Theater 3000 is also the live-action tv forum. I don't see us talking about Carnivale, Firefly, Arrested Development, or Lost in a separate forum, after all. If you want to move those movies into the bigger forum, I say move all of the contents of this forum to the MHT 3000 forum. One or the other.

:welcome:

this forum started as anime, then it had to include american animation & cartoons, and pixar & such fit as well. people from movies are just as welcome to click on pixar/dreamworks threads here. i could make the argument that comics should just be in literature but this is more about context then making a statement; id like people who read comics to know where to go.

movies has enough under its umbrella with its own content + TV; this was lightening the load. now, a seperate forum for TV could work if you guys felt movies was too bloated, but itd be another sub-forum, for what that's worth.

We could have a sub-forum that deal with just American animation & cartoons in MHT 3000 or in here.

So, is the segregation fair? Does it just reinforce the sense of "other" that is already prevalent in US culture regarding animation? I mean, there is a distinct art to animation, but with CGI, is that line getting blurrier all the time? We call Sin City and 300 live action, but Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly animation, btu does that really make sense? The first two have all their environments and setting animated, but the latter two were all films with real actors and sets, only to be rotoscoped (sp?) afterwards.

While 300 and sin city did have heavy use of CGI it's still live action for the sole reason that live actors were used. So can it really be call an animation.

Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly really shouldn't be called an animation. As you said Rotoscoping

What I would like to know is would you call cool world, Who framed Roger Rabbit and Beowulf.

Archived