Hondo's Bar

RIP JERRY REED!

Iambaytor

Okay I will start off by saying that I know the vast majority of this board hates country music as they think anything not Johnny Cash is pretty much like what Tim McGraw sings. Those people can eat massive quantities of cock.

Jerry Reed (Most recognized for his role as Snowman in Smokey and the Bandit) is best known for the song "East Bound and Down" which served as the theme song for Smokey and the Bandit.

The man was a country music legend who should have had the recognition that greats but doesn't get half of their recognition as many of his peers. Some of his other hits were "When You're Hot You're Hot", "Amos Moses" (featured in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas), and "Guitar Man" (His first charting hit, Elvis did a cover not long after)

He always seemed to genuinely be having fun in anything he did, whether acting or singing. He was someone I really would have liked to have met.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26511875/

sorry to see the guy go, even if im not familiar with his work.

Okay I will start off by saying that I know the vast majority of this board hates country music as they think anything not Johnny Cash is pretty much like what Tim McGraw sings. Those people can eat massive quantities of cock.

fair enough, but you're not making the distinction i do.

cash, marty robbins, the higwwaymen, williams jr, most of that gospel-turned-cowboy music i kinda file under classic country, id almost say honky tonk but i think thats another genre in itself.

most country radio stations (yes, that's never an example of music's finest, but still) play either a) that shania type of pop with a southern twang that i havent enjoyed since uh, the dixie chicks, or b) mcgraw, jackson, etc that when you listen to it long enough it starts to mesh together in my head. its what the new nashville (as i understand it) is about and i know theyre gonna pump out what works since its not an overly popular genre outside of certain regions and all, but i cant help but agree when cash gave it the bird.

i havent listened to much new country since living in texas though, so maybe that's changed, you tell me.

No, sadly you're right. The days of George Jones, Hank Williams, and the like is pretty much "classic" in Nashville in much the same way that any other genre has gone. There are still brief hints of old country, Big and Rich are actually pretty good artists when they're not busy being retarded. There's a lot of hit and miss artists but not really any straight good ones. I think the point when Nelly, Kid Rock, and Cheryl Crow started appearing on CMT was the sign of the end-times.

Besides Cash, I also like Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Roy Rogers, Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard. And the Dixie Chicks too, but it's really the song Goodbye Earl that I like more than the band itself. That doesn't include artists who have a country sound on alot of their songs, but typically are categorized in other genres (like Dylan as folk or Southern Rock).

Not familiar with Reed outside of East Bound and Down, but the country musicians of that era were cut from a fine cloth. I'm sure his whole career is respectable.

Archived