Hondo's Bar

Game of the Year 2008

The NZA

much love to Valkyria, cant wait to try Tales sometime.

gun - chrono's still a direct, 10 year old port, with a few new areas of fetch-questing. and Bitch King is an expansion. cmon now.

Dr GF - i think you dropped Lego Batman, yeah? i enjoyed lego star wars, was hoping itd hold up.

I wonder what accounts for the spread in points on the games on different systems. Aren't most games released on multiple system pretty similar nowadays, particularly Rock Band 2? I mean, these aren't the SNES/Genesis days when Sega's MK1 had blood and Nintendo's didn't.

Anyway, as much as I enjoy RB2, I mirror Nick's sentiments that RB1 was a contender, but RB2 doesn't do enough to deserve major accolades this year.

The turn-table thing you heard about was a completely different game. As SNL Weekend Update's Seth Myers put it, "a turn-table game: for kids who are too lazy to play the plastic guitar."

Anyway, I'm not a big gamer, so don't feel I have the authority to say a game is more deserving than another, but I did see at least two other lists that featured Braid in the top 10, and I thought that game was awesome (wish it were longer, but that's most good games, I think).

I not a major gamer either, which is why RB2 made the top of my list. It's fun, for those of us who just want to play without getting too involved (unless you play drums on expert) plus the new controls...err instruments. I have yet to met anyone who comes over to party that hasn't enjoyed RB2, wheras games such as Fallout 3 are more personal and private, and can't be enjoyed by a room full of people.

I agree, but it's really more of a song-expansion and retweaking of last year's ground breaking formula. I'm hardly complaining, but it's like the Special Edition of The Empire Strikes Back was the best film of 1997. Sure, it's not the exact same film that was released in 1980, but it's similar enough that I don't consider it a brand new film.

Archived