Hondo's Bar

Food!!

spiffytee

Well, there must be some thread about this but i haven't come across it so here goes... Here is where you can discuss about any kind of food you like. Which go well together or just what you had today. Just wanna get a little taste of what's out there besides burgers and fries. Hold your American stereotypes!!!

Today, I had Cordon Bleu. I went to research it on the internet (mabye find its origin) and the closest picture I could find was this:

797px-Cordon-bleu-2.jpg

That's chicken wrapped around ham and cheese in the middle.... However, the one I had wasn't breaded on the outside - just topped with cheese. Very good stuff - would like to try the breaded one one day. Of course, every country's gotta go and make their own version of it.

So people, please share and add to the fun...

Today, I ate chicken quesadillas with green onions, black olives, sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese in a white soft flour tortilla with white chicken breasts for lunch, with a coke.

then, i had a bacon cheddar burger, well done angus beef with monterrey jack cheese and honey barbecue sauce and a coke, with two almond joys for dinner.

I made some homemade chicken soup. Boiled the chicken (on the bone) for 2 hours before deboning the chicken and putting it back into the chicken stock. I then added some carrots and celery and let that all sit on low heat for another hour or so. Cooked up some rice and had a great supper. Some people like to strain the chicken broth to make it as clear as possible but I like the darker thicker broth myself. Most people prefer to have noodles with their soup but I like rice better. Either way it is always good stuff.

I made some homemade chicken soup. Boiled the chicken (on the bone) for 2 hours before deboning the chicken and putting it back into the chicken stock. I then added some carrots and celery and let that all sit on low heat for another hour or so. Cooked up some rice and had a great supper. Some people like to strain the chicken broth to make it as clear as possible but I like the darker thicker broth myself. Most people prefer to have noodles with their soup but I like rice better. Either way it is always good stuff.

If you chopped up some potatoes rather than rice in there, you'd have the makings of a good irish stew.

Well, there must be some thread about this but i haven't come across it so here goes... Here is where you can discuss about any kind of food you like. Which go well together or just what you had today. Just wanna get a little taste of what's out there besides burgers and fries. Hold your American stereotypes!!!

Today, I had Cordon Bleu. I went to research it on the internet (mabye find its origin) and the closest picture I could find was this:

That's chicken wrapped around ham and cheese in the middle.... However, the one I had wasn't breaded on the outside - just topped with cheese. Very good stuff - would like to try the breaded one one day. Of course, every country's gotta go and make their own version of it.

So people, please share and add to the fun...

You should try Chicken Kiev sometime Spiffy. It is like Cordon Bleu but instead of cheese and ham in the middle it has spinach (or another leafy veggie) and a garlic butter sauce.

Known to the world as the Mille-feuille (French 'thousand leaves'), Napoleon (U.S.), vanilla slice, cream slice or custard slice (Commonwealth countries) is a pastry made of several layers of puff pastry alternating with a sweet filling, typically pastry cream, but sometimes whipped cream, or jam. It is usually glazed with icing or fondant in alternating white and brown (chocolate) strips, and combed. The name is also written as "millefeuille" and "mille feuille".

800pxmillefeuillefranai.jpg

This is my favorite pastry I've ever had! Most places don't make it right or don't have it fresh. It has to be crunchy with soft filling. If you're in Miami, there's a place called chocolate fashion in Coral Gables that is the best place to get these.

An annual competition for the best vanilla slice baker is the Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph held in Ouyen in western Victoria (Australia). Judging criteria include "when tasted, should reveal a custard with a creamy smooth texture and a balance of vanilla taste with a crisp, crunchy pastry topped with a smooth and shiny glaze/fondant".

spunky, angus burgers are great!

Mortis, you rock! I use bay leaf, thyme, and parsley and like to also cook the chicken with the bone. i guess it gives more flavor. However i chicken (pun!) out by using the bullion that they sell in the stores in cubes. throw in some pasta and you're good to go. And you're right, it takes a long time to simmer etc.

i use this for the veggies:

onionchopper3.jpg

Can't go back to chopping anymore!

And oh, chicken kievs usually have garlic butter parsley and thyme in them.They're delicious and easy as hell to make.
Yep parsley and thyme as well, I've just always had it with some sort of leafy veggie inside too. I've seen them made before but I just can't do it myself. I can't get the chicken to stay rolled up during cooking so I end up with basically half-breaded chicken with like a spinach/garlic butter sauce on top, still tastes good but I want the look to be right as well.
If you chopped up some potatoes rather than rice in there, you'd have the makings of a good irish stew.
Potatoes instead of rice? You're a genius! I'll have to try that next time. Just normal potatoes or those smaller ones with the reddish skin? I've also been DYING for some real fish and chips ever since having some in London back in 2005. Anyone know how to make a good traditional batter for the fish, they just don't do it right here in Texas. Or I haven't found a place yet that does.
Mortis, you rock! I use bay leaf, thyme, and parsley and like to also cook the chicken with the bone. i guess it gives more flavor. However i chicken (pun!) out by using the bullion that they sell in the stores in cubes. throw in some pasta and you're good to go. And you're right, it takes a long time to simmer etc.
I think the bone does add more to the flavor and I will admit I use bullion cubes sometimes. A lot of the times though I just start with store bought chicken broth just to add some more flavor to it. I'm still getting used to cooking with spices/herbs but I will try using some of those you listed. Should I use small amounts or be liberal with them?

Yep parsley and thyme as well, I've just always had it with some sort of leafy veggie inside too. I've seen them made before but I just can't do it myself. I can't get the chicken to stay rolled up during cooking so I end up with basically half-breaded chicken with like a spinach/garlic butter sauce on top, still tastes good but I want the look to be right as well.

Potatoes instead of rice? You're a genius! I'll have to try that next time. Just normal potatoes or those smaller ones with the reddish skin?

Yeah, potatoes rather than rice would make it awesome, and any kinda potatoes really, just peel them first and let it all stew.

I've also been DYING for some real fish and chips ever since having some in London back in 2005. Anyone know how to make a good traditional batter for the fish, they just don't do it right here in Texas. Or I haven't found a place yet that does.

and here is a good beer batter for fish. Its what i usually use.

I'm hungry now. <pout> Ya'll suck. And you're all better cooks than me which I declare patently unfair.

I have not eaten anything wonderful in a long while, but there is a fondue place here in Fort worth that makes a greek salad that is to die for. There's really nothing particularly special about it. Romaine, olives, feta...but the dressing ties it all together. I suppose because the ingredients are good.

Chicken Kiev sounds good right now. Ryan is coming to visit in a few weeks and I have a few recipes from a magazine that I want to try out. One is a rhubarb tart with an orange glaze. I haven't quite mastered the art of cooking with rhubarb...But it's very popular up his way and while I visitied for Thanksgiving, I had a pie made of strwberry and rhubarb that was absolutely wonderful. I hope to do the samething myself one day.

As for a main course...there's a ham and rice croquet which sounds interesting, simple, and good. Here's the recipe http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2009/...rice-croquettes OR I'm thinking the cornish games hens with a haroseth stuffing. http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2009/...-and-sherry-jus And for anyone's who is curious harsoseth is a traditional meal typically served on Passover, which is fast approaching. http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2009/...tachio-haroseth

God, I'm such a gourmand.

Also, really good, is a chowder I make with chicken, cheese, corn, and kidney beans. Very good, very easy. It's a spicy chowder and I haven't met anyone who didn't like it.

• 2 months later...

Made a mushroom, fresh pea and chicken risotto the other night for a bunch of drunk friends. The key to awesome risotto is constant stirring, chicken broth, shallots, LOTS of white wine and of course cheese.

The last dinner I cooked just for me and Tim was probably a roast chicken--Greek style. First stuff a bunch of butter under the skin and all the crevices. Then add a liberal amount of salt and pepper, oregano and lemon juice over the whole bird. Cut an additional lemon in half and stuff it in the cavity. Then, pour a bit of extra virgin olive oil over the outside (so it gets all golden brown) Roast at about 400 basting pretty frequently with the pan juices. If you want you can chop some yukon gold potatoes and roast them with the chicken. The potatoes will then partially fry in the pan with all the chicken fat, butter and oil on there. However, if its up to me, I serve it with a Greek pasta salad made with Israeli cous cous (pearl pasta) that has feta, kalamata olives, chopped red onion, tomato and cucumber, and if you like it spicy pepperoncini. The make a dressing of ex virg olive oil, red wine vinegar and oregano. Whisk together and pour over chilled salad. Serve with chicken and some greens sauteed with a little olive oil and LOTS of garlic. Maybe a splash of soy sauce instead of salt.

Archived