Hondo's Bar

Afro Samurai

The NZA

1244941445.jpg

i cant seem to find threads that i was sure existed for shit these days

So, Samuel Jackson + RZA soundtrack alone would get me on board of most projects, but i really enjoyed this one. Its only 5 episodes, plus the new OAV "Afro Samurai Ressurection", and just as youd imagine, its got a fair amout of blaxploitation and other gratuities, and its derivative as all hell (Lone Wolf & Cub, amongst countless other samurai pieces), but its a lot of fun - it unfolds like a video game (which is why the game itself was inevitable) in the big boss fights, which range between the devils of kimon Ninja Scroll-type baddies and the craziness you get from say, No More Heroes. Fighting a giant cyborg teddy bear samurai to the subtle tunes of Wu-Tang would normally be kinda absurd, but its stylized and works here. Either that, or im just a big enough fan of the different things being combined here as to not give a fuck when it falls off, so take that for what it is.

That said, the series was pretty conclusive, in Afro's pursuit of the # 1 headband/rank, and Resurrection really does just play with previous characters already dealt with whilst adding a few to the mix, but again, if you're already into it, its just more fun action in a series that's way too short for my liking anyway.

Anyone else into this? speak up before i delete the OAV if you wants it.

Yeah this series was great. I'm not into anime at all, but dug the shit out of this. I have the movie but have yet to check it out. To me, the whole #2 & #1 system is just so impossibly cool in it's own right. For those unaware the basic premise is, Afro's father is the previous #1, killed by Ron Pearlman(how'd you forget to mention him, Nick?), a cowboy samurai of all things. There are only the 2 headbands in the world, with the #1 supposed to be the middle step to godhood or omnipotency or somesuch, and the only person who can challenge the #1 is the owner of the #2, and anyone can fight the #2, so this pretty much sets up the series with Afro kicking as much tail as he needs to to get to Justice(Pearlman).

As a quick aside, has anyone played the game? The demo's pretty fun & looks to moreso reenact the 5 eps as opposed to really offer anything new, though I'd hope that it maybe delves into the characters a little more.

we should so talk about this in gaming blargh, but yeah, after the OAV (and enjoying the demo, like yourself) im totally renting it soon, ill let you know. i expect a lot of cussing and repetition, hopefully fun boss fights though.

• 2 years later...

live action confirmed!

afro-samurai-1.jpg

Los Angeles, CA – July 21, 2011 – It was announced today that The Indomina Group, the fast-growing U.S. and Dominican Republic based producer and distributor of film, TV and trans-media content, is teaming with Samuel L. Jackson and Gonzo Studios to produce a new live action film based on the popular “Afro Samurai” animated series that has spawned an impressive franchise and a global following. The announcement was made by Indomina Group Vice Chairman and CEO Jasbinder Singh Mann who will serve as producer with Samuel L. Jackson and Gonzo Studios’ Shin Ishikawa. Eli Selden of Anonymous Content is executive producing.

Academy Award® nominee Samuel L. Jackson has been close to the franchise for a number of years having voiced Afro Samurai for the 2007 anime TV mini-series “Afro Samurai” and again for the 2009 Emmy® winning animated TV movie “Afro Samurai: Resurrection.”

Said Jackson, “This has been one of my very favorite properties ever since our amazing debut at Comic Con with the original series pilot out of Japan. I can’t wait to produce the epic feature film version with our new partners at The Indomina Group.”

“When Indomina was launched, ‘Afro Samurai’ was quickly identified as the perfect property for us to option and exploit through our vertical channels targeted to a fanboy audience,” said Singh Mann. “We never took our eyes off the property and are very pleased to not only have the opportunity now to make an extraordinary film, but to do it with Samuel L. Jackson, who is just as passionate about ‘Afro Samurai’ as we are. This is a perfect collaboration in the eyes of Indomina. We look forward to going to work with Sam and Gonzo on this and making something discernibly unique.”

Producers plan to attach a writer and director this summer and complete casting by the end of the year. The film will be shot at Pinewood Indomina Studios in the Dominican Republic in 2012.

Indomina optioned the rights to “Afro Samurai” from Japanese rights holder Gonzo and will make “Afro Samurai” the first feature film production from The Indomina Group, which over the last six months has debuted its North American distribution arm (Indomina Releasing), international sales division (Indomina International) and Studio operations and facilities (Pinewood Indomina Studios).

Stacey Smart Stanley is overseeing the project’s development for Indomina while Chris Carlisle will be point person for Gonzo.

Archived