Hondo's Bar

Anime & Moé/Lolicon

The NZA

This is something i kinda noticed but hadn't really thought about till bishopcruz pointed out, not sure how many non-manga/anime fans are familiar with it, outside of it as a caricature/stereotype....Moé basically translates to "gushing", and its a direction certain forms of japanese entertainment have been taking for a while now. initially, i thought it had to do with certain japanese trends id noticed years prior - worshiping of youth (every character in my games growing up that looked late 20's/30's was somehow 16), praise/love for all things cute, etc - bish pointed at the darker direction of lolicon, which should remind you of lolita complex for a reason. while attraction to underage girls is clearly more socially acceptable elsewhere, i didnt even know at the time that it was a genre unto itself.

i often argue in other mediums that there's room for everything; another qualm here is that many fans of anime & such feel the industry is pandering entirely too much to this crowd and its tastes, leaving studios putting out less works in pulp and other genres they became known for.

similarly, Moe has raised concerns with even industry legends like Miyazaki:

It's difficult. They immediately become the subjects of lolicon fetishism. In a sense, if we want to depict someone who is affirmative to us, we have no choice but to make them as lovely as possible. But now, there are too many people who shamelessly depict (such heroines) as if they just want (such girls) as pets, and things are escalating more and more.

been wanting to get a topic started on this, found some good links elsewhere that apply:

Moe: the cult of the child

Manga artist lashes back

11aed5x.jpg

...ok, that last one mighta been a bit much.

...really? nothing, here? i thought a few of you were on about this once.

also, CNN ran a story as well.

In Japan, a poll conducted by the otaku matchmaking service Otakuma reveals that four out of five of the top shows watched by female anime fans are about giant robots, while four out of five of the top shows watched by male anime fans are about little girls.

i mean, look at the upcoming lineup...jesus.

winter-09-10-v2exp.jpg

11vptt1.gifnmh_moe.jpg

vlcsnap201208us5.jpg

...sort've agree, but dont some of the better recent things youve shown me - Azumanga, Lucky Star etc - count? granted, they're comedies, but the style's there, unless im getting this wrong.

While Lucky Star did have some Moe to it wasn't the shows selling point.

Azumanga on the other hand was not aiming for Moe.

30 Rock had Harry Osborn on as a guest. He was into 'love pillows' and referred to loving body pillows as moe.

So what exactly IS moe? Is it a overarching category that includes the little girl stuff and the pillow stuff or did 30 Rock get it wrong?

Never hear of moe before this week, now I've run into it twice...

From what I understand, moe was originally (and not too long ago) supposed to refer to a strong interest in a particular type or style of character. Its meaning seems to have been changing over the past few years.

This increase in lolicon is disturbing. This Chu-Bra series in particular just sounds wrong.

I'll get george to come on here and try to explain it, Moe as I remember doesn't really translete well and it can mean a few different things.

Now I would say more on thsi topic but I believe my views are well known at this point and frankly I have little urge to end up in jail for stating them.... ;)

But yes it has gotten out of hand, I wonder, is it really what the great audience wants or is it that as more comes outtheres simply less other things to watch so you watch more of this... could just be a crazy feed back loop.

• 2 months later...

I've watched anime forever but didn't even know about this term till recently when I posted this on facebook jokingly calling it the sexiest thing i'd ever seen.

nazi-sig-nc.jpg

I was quickly flamed and people dropped off my f-list. Such is the power of Moe (well and Nazi uniform fetishism)

• 2 months later...

Archived