Hondo's Bar

The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime

Newtype

ONE PER POST

NO SHOWS PASS 2007

ANIME ONLY

Taken from Gaf:

There are countless of series, movies and OVAs in the latter half of the 20th century that deserve attention. Back when some of the most noted and esteemed directors of today were merely young and brash directors providing brilliant ideas to their studios, or staff who were part of the key animation processes in some of most honoured anime that we reflect back on. Why go back to this era? In a similar way.. it's like someone being born in the 1980s going back and listening to bands such as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc - just because their creation output was done before you were born does not necessarily mean you cannot go back and experience it for yourself.

Astro Boy

1 January 1963 – 31 December 1966

<object height="344" width="425"><embed allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="344" src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LuEfv-K6rs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425"></embed></object></p>

Astro Boy is a science fiction series set in a futuristic world where robots co-exist with humans. Its focus is on the adventures of the titular "Astro Boy" (sometimes called simply "Astro"), a powerful robot created by the head of the Ministry of Science, Doctor Tenma, to replace his son Tobio (also known as Toby), who died in a car accident. Dr. Tenma built Astro in Tobio's image and treated him as lovingly as if he were the real Tobio, but soon realized that the little robot could not fill the void of his lost son, especially given that Astro could not grow older or express human aesthetics (in one set of panels, Astro is shown preferring the mechanical shapes of cubes over the organic shapes of flowers). In the original 1960 edition, Tenma rejected Astro and sold him to a cruel circus owner, Hamegg.

After some time, Professor Ochanomizu, the new head of the Ministry of Science, noticed Astro Boy performing in the circus and convinced Hamegg to turn Astro over to him. He then took Astro as his own and treated him gently and warmly, becoming his legal guardian. He soon realized that Astro was gifted with superior powers and skills, as well as the ability to experience human emotions.

Astro then is shown fighting crime, evil, and injustice. Most of his enemies were robot-hating humans, robots gone berserk, or alien invaders. Almost every story included a battle involving Astro and other robots. Once, Astro actually took on the US Air Force, stopping it from bombing some peaceful innocent Vietnamese villagers (this was a time-travel episode, in which our hero went back from the 21st century to 1969).

Edited by Newtype

I knew I forgot to do something.

Lupin III

October 24, 1971 – March 26, 1972 (23 Episodes)

3 October 1977 – 6 October 1980 (155 Episodes)

March 3, 1984 – December 25, 1985 (50 Episodes)

Arsène Lupin III, the grandson of the fictional gentleman thief, Arsène Lupin, is considered the world's greatest thief, known for announcing his intentions to steal valuable objects by sending a calling card to the owners of his desired items. His right-hand man and closest ally is Daisuke Jigen, an expert marksman who can accurately shoot a target in 0.3 seconds. Although Lupin and Jigen frequently work as a two-man team, they are often joined by Goemon Ishikawa XIII, a master swordsman whose sword can cut anything, or Fujiko Mine, a femme fatale and Lupin's love interest. Although Fujiko usually works together with the others, she occasionally exploits Lupin's interest in her to steal a treasure for herself. Lupin and his gang are constantly chased by Inspector Koichi Zenigata of the ICPO, who has made it his life's work to arrest them, chasing Lupin across the globe. On the rare occasions he catches Lupin, Zenigata secretly hopes Lupin will escape so he can continue to chase him. Regardless of whether Lupin and his followers succeed or fail, they are always looking for the next heist.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman

October 1, 1972 – September 29, 1974 (105 Episodes)

Best described as a sci-fi action anime, recurring themes of Gatchaman involve conservation of nature, environmentalism, and responsible use of technology for progress and advancement. The series is centered around five young superhero ninja in the employ of Dr. Kozaburō Nambu of the fictitious "International Science Organization" to oppose a group of technologically advanced villains, known as Galactor, from trying to take control of the Earth's natural resources. The operational leader of Galactor is an androgynous masked antagonist, Bergu Kattse, who is later revealed to be a shape-shifting mutant hermaphrodite acting on the orders of an alien superior, Sosai X. The most common recurring plot involved Gatchaman opposing giant monster mecha dispatched by Galactor to steal or control various natural resources (water, oil, sugar, uranium, etc). These Mechas were often animal-based.

• 6 months later...

Gunbuster

October 1988 – August 1989

6 Episodes

For the uninitiated, Gunbuster is a six episode OVA released in 1988 by Gainax. Directed by a young Hideaki Anno (director of Neon Genesis Evangelion), the series is about a young girl named Noriko Takaya, who is in a robot academy learning to pilot robots to fight giant Space Monsters who have been attacking distant ships in space. What starts off as giant robots in school becomes a struggle for the survival of man in those six episodes. It doesn't get as absurd as Gurren Lagann, but let's just say that Jupiter gets used for purposes that nobody probably initially intended.

Gunbuster is famous for a couple of things. It was the one of if not the first show to feature lovingly animated bouncing bosoms (known by many as the Gainax Bounce.) It's also one of the few robot shows in my memory that has women as the main characters. Noriko is the show's driving force, as is her senpai Kazumi Amano. I wouldn't say that Noriko and Kazami are necessarily positive female role models, but considering their actions in the show and the year Gunbuster was released, I think they represented the female gender fairly well.

However, being a female pilot in a man's world isn't enough for me to declare Noriko memorable. That has more to do with her character progression. The show starts off with Noriko as the academy scrub who is trying to live up to her father's legacy as an admiral. Her main goal at the academy is to get closer to Kazami, the Onee-sama and ace of the school. Fate places her under the tutelage of Koichiro Ohta, who served under Noriko's father and is the sole survivor of his ship. Ohta's faith in Noriko borders on the insane, as he gambles the fate of the human race multiple times on the daughter of his former admiral.

What really sticks out to me is the how Noriko reacts to the situations that Ohta puts her in with his faith. She starts off very weak-willed and stays that way for much of the show. She acts like most teenagers would realistically act when placed in a big robot in space: utterly terrified. Thing is, despite all the horrible things she faces in the show, when she needs to step up, she's able to do so by following Ohta's philosophy in life.

Anything is possible with hard work and guts.

That philosophy is used fairly often in super robot shows, but I feel that Gunbuster shows it at it's most salient. Noriko never gives up, no matter how crappy a situation she is put in. Even when she fails, she holds true to Ohta's words and pushes through. When she's abandoned by Kazami, she finds another partner to work with. When that partner goes missing in battle, she goes to Ohta and trains her ass off to learn to pilot the experimental weapon, Gunbuster. When the battle ship she's stationed on is going to be rammed into the Space Monster's lead ship...thing..., Noriko puts her life on the line to protect those on the ship.

In the span of six episodes, you see this fairly normal high school girl blossom into a hot-blooded women who will do what she needs to do to save the world she loves so dearly. The choice she makes at the end of the show has left a massive impact on me and all that have seen the show with me. The opening notes of the final song can still bring a manly tear to my eye and the word Okaerinasai will always have another meaning to me. To me, Noriko is proof that anybody can succeed at anything they attempt as long as they put in enough hard work and guts.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_bqv17g9c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_bqv17g9c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_bqv17g9c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

gainax-gallery18-620x.jpg

index-620x.jpg

Not my first, but one of my first. It's what got me into Anime. Found half the series at an independent video rental place in Minnesota in '94. Saw the Animego logo and contact info after the credits. I mailed out a letter and ordered their catalog. The rest is history.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lz2ae32lc0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lz2ae32lc0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lz2ae32lc0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not my first, but one of my first. It's what got me into Anime. Found half the series at an independent video rental place in Minnesota in '94. Saw the Animego logo and contact info after the credits. I mailed out a letter and ordered their catalog. The rest is history.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lz2ae32lc0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lz2ae32lc0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lz2ae32lc0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I remember the guy who used to run the comic book store gave me a copy as a gift. My mind was blown at how awesome the show and music were.

Edited by Newtype

• 4 weeks later...

One of my all time favorites:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_07XKtCacg?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_07XKtCacg?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_07XKtCacg?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"Ronin Warriors, known in Japan as Yoroiden Samurai Troopers​ (鎧伝サムライトルーパー, Yoroiden Samurai Torūpā,? lit. "Legendary Armor Samurai Troopers"), is a Japanese manga and anime series created by Hajime Yatate. The anime was produced and animated by Sunrise, and aired across Japan on Nagoya Television from April 30, 1988 to March 4, 1989 and has a total of 39 episodes.

Ronin Warriors was produced by Graz Entertainment and distributed by Cinar, and it was recorded by the Ocean Group. Ronin Warriors first aired on American television during the summer of 1995 and subsequently appeared on the Sci-Fi Channel, Fox, and later, Cartoon Network. The series was released on DVD in 2002, including the original Japanese version with English subtitles on the reverse side of the disc.

The opening and ending sequences and the eyecatches were replaced with new ones, and the Japanese title cards were removed; there were no substantial cuts to the bodies of the episodes and the episodes retained most of the original music.

Three direct-to-video sequels were produced: Gaiden (Begins), Kikōtei Densetsu (The Legend of the Inferno Armor) and Messēji (Message). There is also a YST manga as well as numerous novels and audio dramas based on the anime. While all the sequels have been released on DVD, the manga and audio dramas have not been made available in English."

• Like 1

El-Hazard (OVA)

26 May 1995 - 25 January 1996 (Yeah I know i'm pushing the line here)

The story focuses on four people from our world (High school students Makoto Mizuhara, Katsuhiko Jinnai and Nanami Jinnai, and History teacher Masamichi Fujisawa) who are mysteriously transported to the fantastical world of El-Hazard, which is threatened with a massive war between the human nations on one side and the insectoid Bugrom tribe on the other. To add further complexity, the quartet's transportation has a side effect, in that each of them gains a unique special ability. For instance, Katsuhiko gains the power to communicate with the Bugrom, and subsequently uses his power to become the Bugrom's military leader while his sister can see through illusions. The hard-drinking, chain-smoking Fujisawa, on the other hand, gains superhuman strength and athletic ability, but only when he's sober.

Makoto's power comes much later but he learns he can control the ancient technology of that world which range from minor gadgets to the most powerful weapons.

The central conflict in El-Hazard: The Magnificent World focuses on Makoto, who along with Nanami, Mr. Fujisawa and human residents of El-Hazard fight against Jinnai's conquest, but other, more sinister machinations lie below the surface.

I can't recommend this anime highly enough. It's one of the few that once a year I will sit down and watch over again. (You just want the OVA, the TV series made me cry and not in a good way) It's got a lot of humor in it and it's actually one of the few animes i'd highly recommend the dub of and it's just all around amazing. If you have the free time look it up.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPB54YaZu5I?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPB54YaZu5I?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPB54YaZu5I?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mobile Suit Gundam (機動戦士ガンダム, Kidō Senshi Gandamu?, lit. Mobile Soldier Gundam, also known as First Gundam, Gundam 0079 or simply Gundam 79) is a televised anime series, created by Sunrise. Created and directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, it premiered in Japan on Nagoya Broadcasting Network between April 7, 1979, and lasted until January 26, 1980, spanning 43 episodes. It was the very first Gundam series, which has subsequently been adapted into numerous sequels and spin-offs.

The series was later re-edited for theatrical release and split into three movies in 1981. The characters were designed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and Kunio Okawara was responsible for the mechanical designs, including the titular giant robot, the RX-78-2 Gundam. When the first movie was released on February 22, 1981, it was regarded as the new age of Anime and an event called Declaration of new age of Anime (アニメ新世紀宣言) in Shinjuku and director Tomino delivered a speech questioning the then social concept in which stereotypical Anime was portrayed as being bad and poorly made to the gathered 15,000 youngsters.

The series was the first winner of the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize, in 1979 and the first half of 1980. By the end of 2007, each episode of the original TV series averaged a sales figure of 80,928 copies, including all of the different formats it was published in (VHS, LD, DVD, etc.).[1] The first DVD box set sold over 100,000 copies in the first month of release, from December 21, 2007 to January 21, 2008.[2]

As part of the 30th Anniversary of the Gundam series, the company officially announced a project on March 11, 2009 called Real-G, a plan to build a 1/1 real size scale Gundam in Japan. It was completed in July, 2009 and taken down later.[3] The 18 meter tall statue was reconstructed in Shizuoka Prefecture and will remain until March 2011.[4]

Edited by Lulu

El-Hazard (OVA)

26 May 1995 - 25 January 1996 (Yeah I know i'm pushing the line here)

I can't recommend this anime highly enough. It's one of the few that once a year I will sit down and watch over again. (You just want the OVA, the TV series made me cry and not in a good way) It's got a lot of humor in it and it's actually one of the few animes i'd highly recommend the dub of and it's just all around amazing. If you have the free time look it up.

Marry me. :love:

• 2 years later...

been on a Miyazaki roll this week after grabbing a blu-ray collection torrent: got sen to watch My Neighbor Totoro, finally caught Nausia the other night, and tonight we watched Lupin III, all of which have been absolutely amazing. i forgot how good anime could be when it's done right, it's been a while for me.

I would like to add Irresponsible Captain Tylor to this list. Wasn't the first anime I ever saw, just a particular favorite that may have gone under the radar for most of the anime world. It is one of those great shows that combine a good story, with likable characters, throws in some humor, some drama (but in a good way), and some epic space battles.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

24eps + 6eps OVA

• 3 months later...

sorry to hijack newt's thread, but recent stuff i was checking out made me think about anime series id meant to check out for years, but spiffy had taped over before i did, came up with this:

Gunsmith Cats

Dirty Pair

Bubblegum Crisis

Vampire Hunter D

downloading the first 3 as we speak, don't know when i'll get around to em but at least it'll be an option!

there's a rare genesis import id been looking at the reproduction cart of, and its art style is very similar to...see, from those first 3, they're all lumped together in my mind, thats why i actually gotta sit down & watch em.

BC: are you asking me what medium (blu ray vs DVD etc) or series? was there more than one?

Bubblegum Crisis

25 February 1987 – 30 January 1991

8 Episodes

The series begins in the late 2032, seven years after the Second Great Kanto Earthquake has split Tokyo geographically and culturally in two. During the first episode, disparities in wealth are shown to be more pronounced than in previous periods in post-war Japan.

The main antagonist is Genom, a megacorporation with immense power and global influence. Its main product are boomers - cyberdroids used for manual labor and military purposes. While Boomers are intended to serve mankind, they become deadly instruments in the hands of ruthless individuals. The AD Police are tasked to deal with Boomer-related crimes. One of the series' themes is the inability of the department to deal with threats due to political infighting, red tape, and an insufficient budget.

The Knight Sabers are an all-female mercenary team and have considerable combat abilities using highly advanced suits of powered armor. They battle against long odds to overcome grave threats throughout the OVA series and preserve the overall safety of Mega Tokyo.

Edited by Newtype
  • Like 1

Dirty Pair

July 15, 1985 – December 26, 1985

24 Episodes tv

12 Episodes ova

The stories take place in the years 2138-43, by which time humanity has spread across some few thousand star systems. A corporation called the World Welfare Works Association (also WWWA or 3WA) helps member systems of the United Galactica (UG) federation deal with various planetary-scale problems, for profit, by sending agents called "trouble consultants". Probably the most high-profile arm of the organization is the Criminal Investigations section, which works to solve crimes or mysteries. The series focuses on a team of trouble consultants in that section, named Kei and Yuri, who have a reputation for leaving a trail of destruction behind them, for which they are known publicly as the "Dirty Pair".

Edited by Newtype
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

This epic show is 10 years old this month.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

April 1, 2007 – September 30, 2007

27 Episodes tv

2 movies

1 oav

1 Special

Gurren Lagann takes place in a future where Earth is ruled by the Spiral King, Lordgenome, who forces mankind to live in isolated subterranean villages. These villages have no contact with the surface world or other villages and are under constant threat of earthquakes. Selected villagers called diggers are conscripted to expand their homes deeper underground. Simon, a meek young digger ostracized by his peers, finds solace in his best friend and older brother figure, an eccentric delinquent named Kamina. Kamina encourages Simon to join his gang, Team Gurren, to help him achieve his dream of visiting the surface world. One day, Simon unearths a drill-shaped key called a Core Drill, followed by a small mecha resembling a face called a Gunmen. Shortly thereafter, a huge Gunmen crashes through the ceiling and begins attacking the village, followed by a girl named Yoko, who attempts to repel the Gunmen. Simon uses his Core Drill to activate the smaller Gunmen (which Kamina names Lagann), and it is used to destroy the larger Gunmen and break through to the surface world.

ePpk8fR.jpg

xbPUSih.png

• Like 1