Hondo's Bar

Baseball

Benz

Darnell McDonald is seriously the man! He's been scoring and batting runs in for the team since day 1. I'm thinking of getting a McDonald jersey.

Anyway... I'll update with scores from yesterday and today... tomorrow. Sleep is calling me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see... 4/27 games:

Red Sox win over Blue Jays 2-1 Story Here

Marlins fall to Padres 4-1

Braves lose again to Cardinals, 5-4 7th straight loss

Yankees also lost to the Orioles LOL! 5-4

For 4/28:

Red Sox finish the sweep of the Blue Jays 2-0, Red Sox pitching, Darnell McDonald are beautiful.

Marlins fall again to the Padres 6-4. Bummer.

Braves blanked by Cardinals 6-0. 8th straight loss. Ouch.

And finally 4/29:

Braves lose again to Cardinals 10-4. 9th straight loss. Damn.

The Braves wrapped up an 0-7 trip, their first winless swing of seven or more games since September 1949 when the franchise was located in Boston and went 0-8 in Philadelphia and Brooklyn.

4/30:

Red Sox fall to the Orioles 5-4. Saw this. It was ugly.

Marlins fall to the Nationals 7-1

Braves finally break their losing streak, beating the Astros 4-2

5/1:

Red Sox fall again to the Orioles 12-9 This was just bad. The only good thing about this game is that Big Papi hit 2 homers, finally.

Marlins beat the Nationals 7-1

Braves beat the Astros 10-1

There. Back up to date. Hope the Red Sox do better the rest of the season. I hope this is just a slow start. Very disappointing losing to the Orioles. Well, it's only April.

Ugh, last night was another terrible night for the Red Sox. I'd rather have punched myself in the testes than watch the Sox get swept by the Orioles. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option. Papelbon had a throwing error in the 10th, Varitek was told to run home at a bad time, Ugh. Red Sox lost 3-2 to the Orioles in 10 innings. Tonight they face the Angels who have had a bad streak as well. Hopefully they can turn things around tonight. Or at least soon. We need to at least win one against the Evil Empire this week too, to keep their obnoxious fans mouths' shut somewhat. I hope Youk's tenderloin recovers soon too.

Jonathan Papelbon Throwing Error in 10th Sends Boston to 3-2 Loss

by Associated Press on May 2, 2010 9:40:00 PM

BALTIMORE -- Ty Wigginton doubled home the winning run in the 10th inning following a throwing error by Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon, giving the Baltimore Orioles a 3-2 victory Sunday and their first three-game sweep of the Red Sox at home in 36 years.

Miguel Tejada had two hits and scored a run for the Orioles, whose three-game winning streak is a season high. The Orioles swept a four-game series from Boston at Camden Yards in 1998, but hadn't swept a three-game set against the Red Sox in Baltimore since Sept. 2-4, 1974.

The Orioles are 4-2 against the Red Sox after going 2-16 against them last year.

Nick Markakis led off the 10th with a walk against Papelbon (1-2). Markakis went to second on an errant throw to first by the reliever, then scored without a throw when Wigginton doubled to left-center.

Papelbon came in with a 0.87 ERA against Baltimore in 33 career appearances.

Matt Albers (2-3) worked the 10th for his second win in the series.

Jason Varitek and J.D. Drew homered for the Red Sox, who fell to 11-14.

Both starting pitchers were impressive, but neither received a decision.

Boston's Josh Beckett allowed two runs and six hits in seven innings, striking out six and walking none.

Kevin Millwood remained winless in his first season with Baltimore despite giving up only five hits and two runs over eight innings. Millwood has a 3.15 ERA over six starts but has repeatedly been hurt by poor run support.

Both teams had a chance to break the 2-all tie in the eighth. The Red Sox had runners at first and second with two outs when Dustin Pedroia singled to left, but Varitek was easily thrown out at the plate by Nolan Reimold.

In the bottom half, Baltimore loaded the bases with one out against Daniel Bard before Luke Scott and Reimold struck out.

That was the second time the Orioles loaded the bases. In the fourth, Reimold drove in a run with fielder's choice and Rhyne Hughes delivered a two-out RBI double.

Varitek homered in the fifth, and Drew led off the seventh with his third home run of the series and fifth overall.

Notes

Boston 1B Kevin Youkilis was a late scratch with a strained left groin. 3B Adrian Beltre was going to get the day off but ended up in the starting lineup. ... The Orioles went 4-2 on their second homestand of the season. Baltimore was 0-6 on the first one. ... Seven of Varitek's 11 hits this season have been for extra bases.

Marlins beat the Nationals 9-3 powered by Hanley Ramirez.

MARLINS 9, NATIONALS 3

Hanley Ramirez powers Florida Marlins past Nationals

Hanley Ramirez homered twice and drove in four runs in a win over the Nationals, giving him seven RBI in two games this month.

BY CLARK SPENCER

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

April turned to May and, just like that, Hanley Ramirez became himself again.

Said manager Fredi Gonzalez on Sunday after Ramirez crushed a pair of home runs in the Marlins' 9-3 victory over the Washington Nationals: ``Hanley the last couple of days looks like the Hanley of last year.''

And that can only be good for the Marlins.

After an anemic April in which he drove in just seven runs, Ramirez roared to life on Saturday -- May Day -- and continued the offensive assault Sunday. When the weekend dust had settled, Ramirez had one more home run in May than he did in all of April and just as many RBI.

``I told everybody, `No worries,' that I was going to get hot -- and when I get hot, it's hot,'' Ramirez said after driving in four runs in Sunday's win.

A two-day hitting spree does not end all worries, if any ever existed.

But it was a positive signal for the Marlins, who are counting on their star shortstop to produce the way he did last season when he won a batting title, drove in 106 runs and finished as the runner-up to Albert Pujols in league MVP voting.

``It's such a big lift for our team when he's hitting,'' said starting pitcher Josh Johnson, who benefited directly from Ramirez's power show by picking up the win over the Nationals. ``He makes this team go.''

Ramirez finished his blah April with a .279 average, seven RBI and two home runs.

Two red-hot days into May and his average sits at .300, his RBI total at 14, and his home runs at five.

``He's been back to the same old Hanley the past few games,'' outfielder Cody Ross said.

Although Ramirez said he never was concerned, that he knew the quiet at-bats would dissolve sooner or later, he confessed that April wasn't exactly his most prolific month as a major-leaguer, not when so many are counting on him to do so much.

``I had a tough April,'' Ramirez said. ``I was waiting for May so bad.''

BATTING CAGE WORK

Ramirez said he has been spending extra time at the indoor batting cages, working with hitting coach Jim Presley on shortening his swing and driving the ball.

On Saturday and Sunday, Ramirez drove the ball hard. His first home run Sunday, a three-run shot off John Lannan that wiped out an early 2-0 deficit, barely cleared the wall in dead center at Sun Life Stadium. Ramirez's second blast, a solo shot, easily settled into the seats in left.

The effect: breathing room for Johnson.

Johnson was his own worst enemy in the Nationals' two-run second by issuing a pair of walks to start the inning.

``I was battling the first few innings,'' Johnson said. ``But I finally found that groove I was looking for.''

HOT AND HUMID

Johnson allowed just three hits. But four walks took a toll on his pitch count, and Johnson didn't go back out for the seventh. It was so hot that he said it felt like he lost 20 pounds.

``I was wondering when it would start getting hot and humid, and today was the day,'' Johnson said.

With Sunday's victory, the Marlins won the weekend series with the Nationals and ended a run of three consecutive series losses. They climbed back over the .500 mark and remained in the thick of a tightly bunched division race.

But they will need Ramirez to continue hitting.

``I'm feeling a little better now at the plate,'' he said. ``I wasn't doing it early [in April], but I think I've started.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/03/1609...l#ixzz0mtPxJFs2

Braves sweep the Astros with a win 7-1

From skid to sweep: Braves finish off Astros

By David O'Brien

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

If the Houston Astros accomplish nothing else -- a real possibility based on their play this weekend -- they at least can say they helped prevent the Braves from careening off the tracks early in Bobby Cox's farewell season.After limping home from a winless road trip, the Braves came to life with a series sweep of the Astros, capped by Sunday's 7-1 win on a warm afternoon at Turner Field, when postseason goals suddenly didn't seem as preposterous as last week.

Jason Heyward and Melky Cabrera had three hits and two RBIs apiece for the Braves, who outscored the Astros 21-4 in the three-game series after being outscored 44-17 during a nine-game losing streak.

"That road trip was brutal," Braves catcher Brian McCann said of the 0-7 trip that ended on Thursday in St. Louis. "And to come back and play good baseball like we did, [and] start swinging the bats, it was a good sign. I think a lot of us are glad April is over. That road trip was not us; we know it."

They hit .211 in the final 13 games of April while failing to score more than four runs in any of them, including Friday's 4-2 opening win against Houston (8-16).

That's why Saturday and Sunday felt so good for the Braves, who racked up 24 hits while outscoring the Astros 17-2 in the final two games of the series.

"We did what we needed to do," said Heyward, who drove in the first two runs with a sacrifice fly in the second inning and an RBI double in the three-run fourth. "Everybody clicked at the same time. Our lineup, as a whole, [was] aggressive. We still took our walks but when we got opportunities we were aggressive."

The Braves (11-14) remained last in the National League East, two games behind Florida and Washington and farther behind New York and Philadelphia. The Braves are off on Monday before starting a nine-game trip on Tuesday at Washington.

"We're headed back on the road with some confidence, which we dearly needed," said Braves starter Derek Lowe (4-2), who allowed one run on six hits and one walk in five innings and received his usual robust run support. The Braves have scored 46 runs in his six starts and 52 runs in 19 other games.

Cabrera doubled his season RBI total, following Heyward with a RBI single in the fourth and a two-run double to cap the scoring in the three-run fifth.

Troy Glaus added two hits to make him 5-for-8 with four RBIs in two weekend games -- more hits and RBIs than he had in 10 home games during April.

"Guys are starting to pick it up a little bit and it's just what we needed," Cox said. "The pitching was good this series, the defense was spectacular and we did a lot of clutch hitting."

He added, "Jason just keeps going."

If Heyward has another month at his current pace they can probably start engraving the NL Rookie of the Year award. The 20-year-old phenom leads the Braves and major league rookies by wide margins in homers (seven) and RBIs (23).

"You look at when he's gotten some of his bigger hits, [and] they're not just meaningless, no-one-is-gonna-remember home runs or RBIs," Lowe said.

Heyward is hitting a league-best .500 (10-for-20) with runners in scoring position after getting two more of those hits on Sunday. He also ranks among NL leaders in go-ahead RBIs with six.

"He's getting a lot of opportunities and right now he's the guy you want up in those big opportunities," said Chipper Jones, who went 0-for-10 in the series as his average dropped to .206.

It's startling how much the Braves have depended upon Heyward, who's 4-for-41 (.098) with three RBIs in 13 losses, and 18-for-40 (.450) with 20 RBIs in 11 wins. He didn't play in one other game, which the Braves lost.

"Now I think it's getting to the point where you kind of expect this is who he is, that he's going to hit 25 home runs and drive in 125 runs in his first year, which is very impressive for anybody," Lowe said. "But that's the kind of player that I think he expects out of himself."

Edited by Greyskull

Man, I'm lovin' this NL east! Four teams separated by a game and a half! Everyone playing well (although, the Marlins not as well as I'd like). Phillies signin' Howard. Mets with that crazy win streak (hope their team plane goes down, though). Nats playing well. I'm excited!

Man, I'm lovin' this NL east! Four teams separated by a game and a half! Everyone playing well (although, the Marlins not as well as I'd like). Phillies signin' Howard. Mets with that crazy win streak (hope their team plane goes down, though). Nats playing well. I'm excited!

Yeah, NL east looks good. I miss Bay, wish he were with the Red Sox still, but he's on the Mets now. Front office messed up not getting him back. Cantu's been great so far and looks like Hermida might be getting back into it. Phillies signing Halladay.. he's crazy good.

Awesome games yesterday and tonight for the Red Sox! I hate to say it, but Big Papi's looking like he's officially done. Mike Lowell needs to DH in his place. Lowell's been great every time he's Pinch Hit for Papi.

It's been a long day, so I'll post some stories tomorrow.

5/3/10:

Red Sox won and it was a home-run derby. Really great to watch this game. Buchholz looked good even though he allowed 4 runs. Lowell was just great. 17 runs in 20 hits for the Red Sox is pretty amazing! The only bad thing about this game was when Scott Shoenweis took the mound. I said, "Oh no... Well, maybe he won't fail this time." My first instincts were right. He walked and allowed 4 runs before he finally got pulled. He needs to be sent not even to Pawtucket but Portland at this point. Red Sox beat the Angels and won 17-8.

Boston Globe story here

5/4/10:

Red Sox won again this time mostly thanks to Dustin Pedrioa's double play. Instead of throwing home to get the one out and leave the bases loaded again, he tagged the runner going to second, then threw to Youk at first for the 3rd out of the inning. Awesome play! Hermida hit the ball to deep left field and Youk, Drew and Beltre scored in the 8th, and then Lowell again (pinch hit for my man McDonald) doubled to get the final run of the night. Sadly, Big Papi's performance was... painful to watch, especially when he hit into a double play with the bases loaded that we could have had more runs. It was his second hit into a double play of the night. Red Sox beat the Angels 5-1.

Boston Globe story here

Marlins had a tough loss to the Giants last night after 12 innings. Nuñez allowed his first earned run of the season (still, not bad). Final score 12-9

Miami Herald story here

Braves also lost to the Nationals 6-3.

Story here

So far the standings in the season:

Red Sox are 13-14, 6.5 games back from the lead.

Marlins are 13-13, 2 games back from the lead.

and the Braves are 11-15, 4 games back from the lead.

Man, is the Marlins bullpen SHIT! Jesus Christ! Linsicum was pitching amazing and Hanley and Uggla still took him deep! Then we're one out from the win and bullshit! Couldn't hold on in extras. Fuck!

Yeah, I hate that feeling. Red Sox have had that happen this season a couple of times too. Who specifically is bad in the Marlins bullpen?

Totally changing the subject, but what's up with Phillies fans lately? Are they on crack?

This was the idiot running on the field (17 year old) then today a 34 year old (who was probably on drugs because they found narcotics on him).

Edited by Greyskull

5/5/10

Red Sox beat the Angels again 3-1! Lackey was great!

Story here. Normally I don't use ESPN for the Sox, but I'm lazy today.

Marlins fall to the Giants 3-2. Story here.

Braves beat the Nationals 7-6 in 10. Story here.

5/6/10

Red Sox complete the 4 game sweep of the Angels! Awesome game! I thought Dice-K was going to blow it again after the first inning, but he came back much better after the first inning screw up. Beautiful game for the Sox! Sox won 11-6. Story here.

Giants sweep the Marlins. Final game 6-3. Story here.

Braves fall to the Nationals 3-2. Story here.

5/7/10

Fuck the Yankees. Beckett got frustrated after the 5th inning and blew the game. Also, he should have hit Jeter harder with the ball. The amount that goon jumps around the batter's box it's a wonder he doesn't get hit more often. Score was 10-3. Story here.

Marlins win over the Nationals 4-2. Story here.

Braves fall to the Phillies 7-0. Story here.

Back up to date again. I really hope the Red Sox can destroy the Yankees today. I'm really sick of them.

5/8/10

FUCK THE GODDAMN YANKEES! Ugh, I wish Beckett had thrown the ball harder at Jeter and made it count yesterday. Well, at least Darnell McDonald homered, and V-Mart did too. Fuck. 14-3.

You know it's bad when you send the outfield in to pitch. (Van Every pitched in the 9th.) We lost 14-3. And I really hate those piece of shit obnoxious Yankees fans that have to rub your fucking nose in it. If assholes could fly, Yankee Stadium would be an airport.

Story here.

Marlins fell also, to the Nationals 5-4. Story here.

Braves won against the Phillies 4-1. Story here.

5/9/10

That's more like it, Red Sox! Great game, well pitched by Lester, and the Red Sox bats came alive! One of my favorite parts? Yankees manager Joe Girardi was ejected from Fenway. It was a thing of beauty and should happen more often. What an ass. But that's typical of the Yankees ballclub.

340x.jpg

(Not a pic from last night, but another time he's been ejected.)

Red Sox played much better and won it 9-3. I guess the Yankees forgot to eat their Cheaties.

Cheaties.jpg

Story here

A's Braden pitched the perfect game against the Rays

Marlins fell to the Nationals 3-2 Story here

Braves fell to the Phillies 5-3 Story here

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm working I don't have time to keep up with this thread, but I'll post the standings and my thoughts every so often. Watching the last of today's Red Sox vs Phillies game right now. Red Sox are up 7-0 in the 9th on a day Halladay pitched. I'm very happy about that and how the Red Sox have been doing. Big Papi's been hitting better, Ellsbury's back in the line up. We should do better now I think. I'm glad McDonald's still in the line up even though Ellsbury's back. Pedroia and Youk are awesome as ever. V-Mart's picking up it looks like. The team is really starting to shape out.

Red Sox are 23-21 - 3.5 games behind the Rays and the Yanks.

Marlins are 22-22 - 3.5 games behind the Phillies.

Braves are 23-20 - 2 games behind the Phillies.

• 2 weeks later...
nothing on that complete fuck up for call last night? robbing that kid of the 21 perfect game in history? I never ever say this but they need to overturn that call and give him his game.

Yeah, I heard about that... Apparently the Ump felt like shit for it (as he should). Bud Selig, Baseball's comissioner's considering following the route of other sports and using Instant Replay more...

NEW YORK -- Commissioner Bud Selig won't reverse an umpire's admitted blown call that cost Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Selig said Thursday that Major League Baseball will look at expanded replay and umpiring, but didn't specifically address umpire Jim Joyce's botched call Wednesday night.

A baseball official familiar with the decision confirmed to The Associated Press that the call was not being reversed. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because that element was not included in Selig's statement.

Joyce said he erred on what would've been the final out in Detroit, where the Tigers beat Cleveland 3-0. The umpire personally apologized to Galarraga and hugged him after the game, then took the field at Comerica Park on Thursday in tears.

"It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the [stuff] out of it," a distraught Joyce said Wednesday night. "I just cost that kid a perfect game."

Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski had said the team wouldn't ask MLB to overturn the call. The mistake denied Galarraga the 21st perfect game in history, and the first for the Tigers.

Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe at first base, but later said he got it wrong. Even in the sports world, where bad calls are part of the mix, this one reached way beyond the lines: the perfect game that wasn't.

Galarraga, who was barely known outside of Detroit before this week, and Joyce, whose career had flourished in relative anonymity, remained trending topics on Twitter more than 12 hours after the game ended. At least one anti-Joyce Facebook page popped up and firejimjoyce.com was launched.

From Derek Jeter to casual fans, opinions poured in.

"I was thinking if the umpire says he made a mistake on replay, I'd call it a no-hitter, perfect game. Just scratch it," St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "If I was Mr. Selig, in the best interest of the game. The guy got it and I'd give him his perfect game. But here again, I should just shut my mouth."

Even presidential spokesman Robert Gibbs weighed in from the White House.

"I hope that baseball awards a perfect game to that pitcher," Gibbs said.

A visibly upset Joyce wiped away tears Thursday as he took the field for the Tigers' series finale against the Cleveland Indians. He and Galarraga met at home plate as the pitcher presented the umpire with the Tigers' lineup card. Joyce shook hands with Galarraga and clapped him on the shoulder.

Leyland said MLB gave Joyce the option to not work Thursday's game, but Joyce chose to stick with his job behind the plate.

Selig said he would "examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features" in the wake of the blown call. He said he'd consult with baseball's labor unions and the game's special committee for on-field matters before announcing any decisions.

Currently, instant replay can be used only for questionable home runs.

Selig also praised Joyce for his handling of the situation afterwards, as well as Galarraga and Tigers manager Jim Leyland.

"The dignity and class of the entire Detroit Tigers organization under such circumstances were truly admirable and embodied good sportsmanship of the highest order," Selig said. "[Galarraga] and Detroit manager Jim Leyland are to be commended for their handling of a very difficult situation.

"I also applaud the courage of umpire Jim Joyce to address this unfortunate situation honestly and directly. Jim's candor illustrates why he has earned the respect of on-field personnel throughout his accomplished career in the Major Leagues since 1989," Selig said.

Michigan lawmakers got into the act on Thursday, lobbying Selig to reverse the call and recognize Galarraga as having thrown a perfect game. Gov. Jennifer Granholm issued a proclamation declaring that Galarraga had indeed pitched a perfect game, while U.S. Rep. John D. Dingell said he'd introduce a congressional resolution asking Major League Baseball to overturn the blown call.

And U.S. Rep Thaddeus G. McCotter, in a letter to Selig obtained by ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson, asked him to recognize it as a perfect game, saying "only the truth will uphold and honor the integrity of the game; and the truth is that this game was perfect."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Also, Ken Griffey Jr. Retired after 22 seasons.

nothing on that complete fuck up for call last night? robbing that kid of the 21 perfect game in history? I never ever say this but they need to overturn that call and give him his game.

I agree. MLB could AND should do this.

Edited by Panch

mlb is even more of a joke today.

To a degree, yeah. I still watch though, in the hopes that anyone but the Yanks will win, Especially the Red Sox or the Marlins. Maybe some day they'll have salary caps like everybody else.

To a degree, yeah. I still watch though, in the hopes that anyone but the Yanks will win, Especially the Red Sox or the Marlins. Maybe some day they'll have salary caps like everybody else.

Will never ever happen, the players union is way too strong for that, you'd have to have the sport go through another downturn and a commisner who isn't a tool.

To be fair to the yanks though they don't win every year, only what 28 championships out of over 100?(yeah yeah, there isn't anything else like it, the next is what... the celtics with liek 12?) the only reason they spend so much though is because they make so much, with the yes network and the new stadium.

Also Selig fucked up that call with not giving that kid a perfect game, I don't understand him and most of the choices he makes it's like he enjoys being behind football(he is behind b-ball yet?) and refuses do try and one up them, hell the NFL doesn't even give a shit anymore about they, I think this year there is a football game during the world series(and it will destory it as well) you think there is any chance the onwers ever get a real comis?

• 2 weeks later...

Red Sox are doing much better now and have caught up to the Rays and the Yanks!

The Sox are currently 43-28 having won 8 of their last 10 games.

The Rays are tied with 42-27, only winning 3 of their last 10

The Yanks are 43-27, winning 6, losing last night.

Here's hoping the Yankees continue to lose and the Red Sox keep on winning! Big Papi's come alive lately, Pedroia and Youk are good as ever!

Marlins have a tough situation in the NL east. Currently in 4th place with 33-36. :( They're not out of it yet though (The Red Sox were in their position last month). They're 6 games behind the leader, the Atlanta Braves (Big shock, they were sucking last month). Braves are 42-28. 2nd place Mets with 39-30. 3rd place Phillies with 35-32.

• 1 month later...