Hondo's Bar

Baseball

Benz

I figured I'd go ahead and make the thread now as Opening Day is tomorrow night. (If you can't tell, I'm super pumped) It's THE rivalry, the Boston Red Sox (The Good Guys) vs The biggest douchebags ever, the New York Yankees. First pitch is at 8:05 PM EST, and will be shown on ESPN2 and NESN. Why it's not on ESPN is beyond me. It's pretty retarded. I think they're showing women's College Basketball hoops instead.

Starting pitchers: For the Red Sox it's Josh Beckett who's had a good Spring Training, and C. C. Sabathia for the Yanks. (C. C. Stands for Cock Craver.)

Interspacez and computer permitting I might even live blog the game/opening ceremony/etc. (I think they save passing out the rings they purchased for the Skanks first home game. God I hope so. I don't wanna clean up the puke after seeing that shit.)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, an hour before, I know, but let the live-bloggings begin! I'm watching the Pre-game stuff right now. Usually I don't bother, but it's Opening day, so what the heck... So I put on NESN because I prefer it to ESPN2. ESPN just seems to be too many schills for the Yanks for me to deal with. (As opposed to YES network which thankfully we don't get. It's the Yankees TV.)

Who do I see first? A-Roid of course, looking as douchebaggy as ever. Blah blah blah, yeah that's nice they guy did good, he's a good player even though you'd have a better chance of seeing an ant's nuts than you would his.

Ah, there's Youk! He just looks like a badass.

Opening Ceremony is coming up.. oh in a half hour... Well, more later! GO RED SOX!

God Fenway looks beautiful... Can't wait to go there and watch a game. I'm biased as hell, but I think it's the most beautiful ball park in all the land. It's definitely historic. In only 2 more years we'll be celebrating our 100th year! So much history. Can't wait to take a tour!LOL they just played this awesome ad:

I love it!

HOLY SHIT!!! Dr. Dre is wearing a Red Sox jersey!!! He's promoting Red Sox headphones "Beats By Dr. Dre" DR. DRE IS ROOTING FOR BOSTON! How cool is that? Fucking Awesome!!! He wants Big Papi David Ortiz to have one of his songs as his at-bat song! So awesome! West coast you Yankee fan motherfuckers!!!

Dear God, I wanna say Fenway is so beautiful again!

Haha Yankees got booed when they got announced! Nothing but cheers for Boston!

Looks like Opening Ceremony's starting...

Edited by Greyskull

Herre come the Yankees out of the dugout... Mostly quiet through staff and coaches...

Players... a few boos, getting stonger... Burnett -loud boos... Riviera loud cheers? WTF?... Eh must be obnoxious Yankees fans... Ah that's better, Boston's booing again. Joe Giriardi can go to hell.

Jeter... BOOO! Tiexiera... BOO!!! A-ROID BOOO!! I hate that fucker. And Jeter too. *flips off A-Roid on the screen*

NOW IT'S RED SOX TIME!!!

Interpreters? Eh..

Fuck, even the Batboys get an introduction?

Big Cheers for #6 Johnny Pesky! The man's living history! The guy has the foul line pole named after him.. Pesky's pole. Because he talked about it, not because he hit alot of fouls.

Here come the players.. Dice-k! Some big cheers for Mike Lowell (Former Marlins, and Aarty and I love the guy. We've met his parents.)

Captain Veritek! Tim Wakefield!

(Eh if I'm being obscenely detailed here, sorry. But I do lovez mah Sox!) #2 Ellsbury! Sox #2> Yanks #2 Jeter the Cheater...

Youkilis gets Boos? WTF?!

Beautiful Star Spangled Banner with Pyrotechnics... and right in the middle, the camera catches A-Roid spitting. What a douchebag.

Pedro Martinez is there! "Wake up the damn Bambino and Welcome back Pedro Martinez!" I love it! #45! He's throwing the first pitch to calls of "Pedro! Pedro! Pedro! Pedro!" Goes over and gives Johnny Pesky a big ole hug. Lotta love in the Boston ballclub. Love and heart.

Oh snap! They're re-playing audio clips for all the Yankees of when we broke the curse. Remember that?!

They got a 5 year old giving Herb Brooks' "Miracle" speech. He's awesome! "I'm so sick and tired of hearing what a great baseball team the Yankees have. Screw em! It's your night! Go out there and take it!" I want my kid to do that someday, i'd be so proud!

Well looks like the game's up next... I'll keep it to a post an inning.

Nick Johnson up to bat Second.. Missed Jeter.. But both are OUT! lol! Nice catch Cameron.

Teixera Up... Grounder to first... Out!

Eat that Yankees! Defense is looking good!

Red Sox are comin up to bat!

Ellsbury's up... Fuck.. caught out in Center field...

Pedroiah the Destroyah's up next... Fuck... struck out.

V-mart up now... Fuck... Tagged out by Cheater.

*sigh* On to the 2nd inning. Just gotta keep the Yanks from getting anything.

Cano hts to center... out.. 2nd out. Didn't see who hit first, but they're out too.

I think it's Posada.. yep Posada's up... Fuck.. off the pole homerun... Fuck. off Pesky's pole.. Dammit.

Granderson... fuck.. homered... fuck... Goddammit.

Swisher now...

2 base hit's later Jeter's up... Not going good... fuck... He hits... Got Granderson out! Finally! Fuck... Well, could have been worse.

Now for the Red Sox! Come on Guys! We need some runs!

Youkilis to 2nd! That's more like it!!!! Bounced off the Green Monstah! You could hear the thud.

LET'S GO BIG PAPI!!! YOU CAN DOO EEEEETTT!!! Sacrificed a base hit to get Youkilis to 3rd..

Beltre up now... Fly ball caught out, but Youkilis is home! First home run for the Sox! We're still in this... 2 outs..

JD Drew up now. Struck out. Fuck. 2-1.. Well only down by one. Not the end of the world. Inning #3 coming up next...

Johnson's up again... Walked.. Ball 4. Do'h...

Teix is up... Hit.. Caught.. out!

A-Roid's up... I hate that fuck. Hit.. Got Johnson and the Fraud out in one go! Sox are up!

Now the Sox..

Cameron gets a base hit. :)

Scutaro's up now.. hits... caught out... Cameron's out too double out. fuck...

Ellsbury up now... Hits to A-Fraud... tagged out at first. Fuck. Inning #4 coming up...

Cano's on 3rd (got a double) and Posada tagged out, then Granderson tagged out.

2 outs.. Swisher's up.. Damn.. full count then 4th ball walked...

Gardner's up... Fuck. Base hit. Cano's in.. 3-1...

Cheater's up... Yeah.. eat that, Jeter! (almost hit him, scared him) .. fuck.. base hit.... dammit.. Swisher's in... 4-1.. FUCK...

Nick Johnson's up... Fuckkk... Gardner stole home.. Dammit... Strike 3.. Thank God that's over with... We have some catching up to do.

Pedroia.. hits... WTF?! HE WAS FUCKING SAFE! Get some glasses you retard ump!

V-Mart's up... Ugh.. fuck we're out...

Becket's pitching to Texiera , but Shoenweis is up to pitch next...

Cameron catches Texiera's hit to Center Field. Out.

A-Fraud up... Just hit him between the eyes with all you've got Beckett! Pedroia caught the pop up and the big poophead is out!

Cano singles.. Hit it out to Williamsburg, but JD was so fast he didn't dare take second.

Posada... Walked... Ugh... Come on Beckett.... Well here comes Schoenweis... Struck out Granderson. there! Now we need some runs! Beckett, work on having more than two pitches...

Let's go Red Sox!

Yanks 7-5

Pedroia the DESTROYAH HOMERED!! 2 runs in!!! 7-7 The game is tied bitchez!!!!! WOOOTTT!!!

I finally get why I thought they were booing Youkilis.. I'm so dumb... they were crying out "YOUK!!!"... Hit a double I think. Sweet. He just stole Third! HE STOLE HOME!!! RED SOX LEAD 8-7!!!

RED SOX WIN!! OH HELL YES THE RED SOX WIN!!! YANKEES SUCK!!!

Red Sox won over the Yankmees 9-7!!! What a great start to the baseball season!!! I'll post the recap tomorrow!!!

I won't be doing this live-blogging thing again until the ALDS or the ALCS...

I'll be following the Red Sox, the Marlins, and the Braves... Any requests for other teams to follow?

This kid nearly brought a tear to my eyes. Beautiful speech:

The Red Sox improved to 54-55-1 on Opening Day, 23-17 when starting the season at home (20-17 at Fenway Park), 11-16-1 in season openers against the Yankees and 5-4 in Opening Day contests vs. New York at home. ... It also marked Boston's first win vs. New York on Opening Day since 1985. ... The Sox improved to 20-14 all-time on Easter. Kevin Youkilis (3-for-4, two doubles, a triple, two RBIs and three runs) became the first Red Sox player to tally three extra-base hits on Opening Day since Carlton Fisk had a double and two homers vs. the Yankees at Fenway Park on April 6, 1973. ... Youkilis is the first Boston batter to triple on Opening Day since Jose Offerman on April 5, 1999, at Kansas City. With Dustin Pedroia's two-run homer in the seventh inning, he became the first Boston player to hit Opening Day home runs in back-to-back years since Trot Nixon in 2001-02. Pedroia is also the first Red Sox player to hit an Opening Day homer for Boston against the Yankees since Mo Vaughn went deep at Yankee Stadium on April 7, 1992. Phil Plantier homered earlier in the same inning. ... The last time a Red Sox player homered on Opening Day vs. the Yankees at Fenway Park was Jim Rice on April 8, 1985. Tony Armas and Dwight Evans each homered earlier in that game.

And Here's the Recap:

BOSTON -- Kevin Youkilis scored the go-ahead run on a passed ball after his third extra-base hit and the Boston Red Sox rallied to beat the New York Yankees 9-7 in the major league opener Sunday night.

Boston erased a 5-1 deficit against CC Sabathia and defeated the defending World Series champions in the first night opener in the history of 98-year-old Fenway Park.

Jorge Posada and Curtis Granderson hit back-to-back homers off Josh Beckett to give the Yankees a 2-0 lead in the second inning. It was 7-5 in the bottom of the seventh when Marco Scutaro singled and Dustin Pedroia tied it with an opening-day homer for the second straight season.

Youkilis then doubled with two outs, took third on Damaso Marte's wild pitch and scored when the left-hander's high pitch bounced off Posada's glove. Pedroia added an RBI single in the eighth.

Hideki Okajima pitched a scoreless inning to get the win and Jonathan Papelbon worked the ninth for the save.

Chan Ho Park recorded just two outs while picking up the loss in his Yankees debut. The right-hander was charged with three runs and three hits.

Former Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez got a warm greeting when he threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

The real starters didn't do as well.

Sabathia gave up five runs and six hits over 5 1/3 innings in his second poor opening-day start since he joined New York for a $161 million, seven-year contract.

Beckett allowed five runs and eight hits in 4 2/3 innings. It was the worst of five opening-day starts for the right-hander, who had allowed just four runs in 22 2/3 innings in his previous four.

Even two aging singers beloved by Red Sox fans had better nights.

Steven Tyler, lead singer of Aerosmith and a Boston-area resident, sang "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch.

Neil Diamond, whose "Sweet Caroline" is played at Fenway Park after the top of the eighth, then stepped onto the field along the right-field line to sing it in person. The Brooklyn native wore a blue Red Sox hat with a red "B" and a dark jacket with the words "KEEP THE DODGERS IN BROOKLYN" on the back.

The Red Sox were more concerned with the team from the Bronx.

The Yankees began the season as champions for the first time since they beat Kansas City 7-3 behind Roger Clemens in the 2001 opener. They finished that year in the World Series, but lost to the Arizona Diamondbacks in seven games.

The last time the Red Sox and Yankees met in an opener was in 2005 following Boston's first championship since 1918. New York won 9-2 with Randy Johnson beating David Wells -- like Sabathia, a big lefty.

Youkilis got the first hit off Sabathia, a leadoff double in the second, and scored on Adrian Beltre's sacrifice fly. Youkilis then tripled in two runs in the sixth before Beltre's RBI single tied it at 5.

On the first pitch of the major league season, Derek Jeter grounded out to shortstop Marco Scutaro. Nick Johnson then flied to center and Mark Teixeira grounded out to first. Seven pitches, three outs.

The first eight batters of the game were retired before the Yankees, who led the AL last season with 244 homers, got two long balls in a row. Posada hit a short liner off the right-field foul pole. Then Granderson sent a long drive into the center-field seats in his first at-bat as a Yankee.

The Yankees went ahead 7-5 in the seventh on Robinson Cano's RBI groundout and Posada's run-scoring single but Boston responded with three runs in the bottom half, culminating in Youkilis' tiebreaking scamper.

Notes

The back-to-back homers by Posada and Granderson were the first by the Yankees on opening day since Dave Winfield and Steve Kemp did it on April 5, 1983, at Seattle. ... Hip-hop producer Dr. Dre took batting practice. He was at Fenway to promote the Beats by Dr. Dre headphones with a Red Sox logo.

Again, I'll be following the Red Sox (of course), the Marlins, and the Braves this season. Any requests for any other teams?

Unfortunately, bad news for the Marlins on their opening day against the Mets. They lost 7-1. :(

Miami Herald article here

Wright, Santana help Mets beat Marlins 7-1

By JAY COHEN

AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK -- David Wright, Johan Santana, Jason Bay. Each of them delivered. This was exactly what the New York Mets were looking for on opening day. Wright hit a two-run homer, Santana pitched six effective innings and the Mets finally solved Josh Johnson, beating the Florida Marlins 7-1 on Monday.

Newcomers Bay, Rod Barajas and Gary Matthews Jr. each got two hits for New York, which improved to a major league-best 32-17 (.653) on opening day. Manager Jerry Manuel also got three scoreless innings from his beleaguered bullpen, which he said was his biggest concern entering the season.

For one game, at least, the Mets looked ready to bounce back after they stumbled to a fourth-place finish in the NL East last year.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez and the Marlins think they can surprise the experts again this season and contend for a playoff spot, but this sloppy performance wasn't a very good beginning.

Johnson allowed four runs and five hits over five-plus innings in his first opening-day start, dropping to 7-1 with a 2.69 ERA in 10 career starts against New York. Cameron Maybin struck out swinging three times and Florida committed three errors during the Mets' four-run sixth.

Santana looked healthy after finishing last season on disabled list, allowing just four hits while improving to 4-1 with a 3.56 ERA in five career opening-day starts.

Jorge Cantu hit an RBI double in the sixth to cut New York's lead to 2-1, but Santana got Ronny Paulino to fly out to center with runners on first and second to end the inning.

Fernando Nieve replaced Santana and got six outs before Francisco Rodriguez finished just one day after returning from Venezuela, where two of his brothers were injured in a car accident.

The Mets desperately need a fast start to wash away the bad taste from last season's 70-92 finish, when they were ravaged by injuries and made a handful of embarrassing mistakes while stumbling to their worst finish since they went 66-95 in 2003.

The crowd of 41,245 for Citi Field's first opening day made it clear it hadn't forgotten what happened in 2009, booing erratic left-hander Oliver Perez and the training staff during pregame introductions. Manuel, second baseman Luis Castillo and reliever Sean Green also got mixed receptions.

Wright sent a charge through the crowd when he sliced a 1-0 pitch from Johnson over the wall in right to give New York a 2-0 lead in the first inning. The All-Star third baseman hit a career-low 10 homers last season, including five at home during the Mets' first season at their spacious ballpark.

Jeff Francoeur also drove in two runs for New York, which opened the year with shortstop Jose Reyes, All-Star center fielder Carlos Beltran and first baseman Daniel Murphy on the disabled list. Pinch-hitter Angel Pagan added an RBI single in the sixth.

Defending NL batting champion Hanley Ramirez and Gaby Sanchez had two hits apiece for the Marlins.

NOTES: INF Ruben Tejada and RHP Jenrry Mejia of the Mets are the youngest players in the majors at 20 years old. Mejia, who is 16 days older than Tejada, is the youngest pitcher to make New York's opening-day roster since Dwight Gooden in 1984. Tejada is the Mets' youngest position player on their opening-day roster since Tim Foli in 1971. ... The bridge beyond the right-center field wall at Citi Field was renamed "Shea Bridge" during a pregame ceremony honoring Bill Shea, an attorney who played a key role in the creation of the franchise.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/05/1564...l#ixzz0kGUfCeeN

Some pics on the Herald site, but yeah, tough loss. Hopefully Nolasco will pitch a better game Wednesday.

Braves are looking good so far, 8-5 against the Cubs. I'll post on them next.

Atlanta killed the Cubs 16 - 5.

Here it is:

Heyward's 3-run homer helps Braves beat Cubs 16-5

By CHARLES ODUM,

AP Sports Writer

ATLANTA (AP) His face and head covered in shaving cream and his first home run ball stashed safely away, Jason Heyward stood in front of his locker and beamed.

"I had a blast," he said.

He stole the show on opening day.

Minutes after catching the ceremonial first pitch from Hank Aaron, Heyward hit a three-run homer in his first major league at-bat to spark the Braves to a 16-5 opening win Monday over Carlos Zambrano and the Chicago Cubs.

Heyward, who also had a run-scoring single in the eighth, was 2 for 5 with four RBIs.

"It was the first of many career highlights for him," said Atlanta's Chipper Jones. "That was impressive, that was very impressive."

Braves fans in the sellout crowd eagerly embraced Heyward, from Henry County, about 30 minutes south of Atlanta.

Fans chanted "Let's go, Heyward!" as he confidently took two pitches in his first-inning at-bat, then sent a fastball from Zambrano into the Braves' bullpen behind the right-field wall on his first swing, sending the crowd over the top.

"I don't know that I've ever heard this stadium that loud," Jones said.

Added Heyward when asked how he felt as he ran around the bases: "I felt my legs but I couldn't hear myself think, it was so loud."

After the game, Braves reliever Peter Moylan crept behind a crowd of reporters and hit the rookie with a towel full of shaving cream.

"I guess shaving cream is a good thing," Heyward said with a smile.

Yunel Escobar drove in a career-high five runs as Zambrano gave up eight runs in 1 1-3 innings, matching the shortest of 239 career starts.

Marlon Byrd, playing his first game with the Cubs, hit a three-run homer in the first inning and Aramis Ramirez added a two-run drive in the third.

Derek Lowe (1-0) gave up five runs, five hits and three walks in six innings before a sellout crowd of 53,081, a record for a day game in Atlanta and was the fourth-largest overall in Atlanta history.

Brian McCann hit a homer in the second, when the Braves knocked out Zambrano (0-1), but opening day belonged to Heyward.

"He's good," Zambrano said. "Anybody can be good with two balls and no strikes, but you have to give him credit."

The 20-year-old Heyward became the sixth Braves player to homer in his debut, the fourth to do so in his first plate appearance. Jordan Schafer also did it last season.

Heyward answered cheers from the fans by tipping his cap at the edge of the dugout.

Heyward (6-foot-5, 240) won the starting job in right field despite playing only 50 games above Class A in his quick rise through the minor leagues. He was selected baseball's top prospect by Baseball America after hitting .323 with 17 homers and 63 RBIs at three minor league stops in 2009, and was put on the major league roster by the Braves just last Saturday.

"Jason had a spectacular day, really," said Braves manager Bobby Cox. "He'll have his struggles, probably, like any other 20-year-old in the big leagues, but he's a very talented kid. And when he's not hitting, he's going to help us in the outfield. He's a very gifted athlete."

Atlanta sent 10 batters to the plate in both the first and seventh innings.

"It was something of an embarrassing loss," said Cubs manager Lou Piniella. "Never did I anticipate we'd give up 16 runs on opening day, not in my wildest dreams."

In the first, Chipper Jones drove in Melky Cabrera when his shallow fly ball fell between shortstop Ryan Theriot and Byrd in center for a single. Escobar added a two-run single before Heyward's line-drive homer.

Making his sixth straight opening day start for the Cubs, Zambrano gave up six hits and two walks with one strikeout.

"I left some pitches over the middle," Zambrano said. "When you do that at this level, you're going to get crushed."

Braves center fielder Nate McLouth made running catches of drives hit by Ramirez in the first and Derrek Lee in the fifth. McLouth was credited with a diving catch of a ball hit by Byrd in the left-center gap in the sixth, though a replay showed the ball popped out of McLouth's glove when he hit the ground.

As umpires called out Byrd, McLouth threw the ball back to Escobar, whose throw to first base forced out Ramirez.

Piniella argued the ruling that McLouth made the catch. The umpires huddled but did not overturn the original call.

Escobar had a three-run double, and pinch-hitter Eric Hinske added a run-scoring triple off Jeff Samardzija in the seventh. Samardzija walked three batters in the six-run inning.

Six Chicago pitchers combined for eight walks.

"The thing that was so upsetting was we didn't walk people in spring training," Piniella said. "I complimented our pitchers on that."

Right-hander Takashi Saito and left-handed closer Billy Wagner pitched perfect innings in their Atlanta debuts to end the game.

NOTES: McCann received his 2009 Silver Slugger award before the game. ... New Cubs owner Tom Ricketts and his brother, Todd, attended the game. ... Sean Marshall had five strikeouts in 2 2-3 perfect innings behind Zambrano. ... Zambrano also lasted only 1 1-3 innings against Pittsburgh on Sept. 4, 2006. ... The other Braves to homer in their first plate appearances were Joe Harrington (1895); Johnny Bates (1906) and Jermaine Dye (1996).

*sigh* Tough loss for the Red Sox last night. 6-4.

Here's the story:

Ball one. Ball two. Ball three. Red Sox reliever Hideki Okajima had thrown three pitches off the plate to Nick Johnson in the eighth inning, with Yankees on each of the bases, the game tied at 4-4. Strike one.

Any hope was short-lived, as ball four shortly followed. Jorge Posada trotted home with the fifth run of the game for the Yankees. This was ugly, so say the least.

“Walk was the last thing I wanted to do,’’ Okajima said, through interpreter Ryo Shinkawa, after the Sox had fallen, 6-4, to New York last night at Fenway Park. “I tried to keep my mind focused on it. But the result just turned out to be that one.’’

Posada doubled to open the inning, then watched as Nick Swisher battled through an 11-pitch at-bat only to ground out. Brett Gardner singled to left, but Posada didn’t advance. Then, after Curtis Granderson flied out, the Sox had a chance to get out of the inning.

That was when Derek Jeter hit a ball in the hole, where shortstop Marco Scutaro grabbed it. He bounced the throw to Kevin Youkilis for an error, Ugh, the other ugly of the game. loading the bases before Okajima walked in the winning run. Robinson Cano added a homer in the ninth for New York.

“I just made a bad throw, that’s it,’’ Scutaro said. “I don’t really have an excuse. If I would have made a good throw, out. I don’t have any excuse at all. I just made a bad throw. I threw a nice two-seamer.’’

Scutaro said he didn’t rush the throw because of Jeter scampering down the line, as manager Terry Francona had indicated he might have. He just erred, and so the game went to the Yankees.

“It just hopped up quick,’’ Youkilis said. “Just hit the top of my glove, and just didn’t get in the webbing. It was one of those plays that I blame myself, thought I could have made it, but it just hopped up enough where it got a bad bounce. One of those tough breaks you have. One play doesn’t screw up the game. That’s not how we lost the ballgame.’’ That's true.

Pitching and defense are fantastic in theory. But for the second straight game the Sox’ starting pitcher was far from dominant, and runs were not being prevented against the Yankees.

Sunday night, it was Josh Beckett giving up five runs. Last night, it was Jon Lester giving up four. Neither got the decision, although the Yankees’ A.J. Burnett didn’t either last night.

“Lot of deep counts,’’ Francona said of Lester. “I think in the second inning he was 3 and 2 on just about everybody. We talk about it all the time, and it’s certainly a lot easier said than done, but pounding the zone with good stuff [is a must] because they don’t chase balls that a lot of other teams will. They work counts very well. He had a lot of deep counts tonight.’’

Lester lasted just five innings, throwing 94 pitches. He gave up the four runs on five hits and three walks, striking out four, and hitting Swisher and Johnson with pitches. But perhaps it could have been predicted, as Lester has started slowly each of the last two seasons, with a 4.78 ERA in April.

Asked about Lester being more of a second-half pitcher, Francona said before the game, “I hope not. I’d like him to be both half.’’

There was one moment that surely didn’t help. On a tight play in the fifth inning, on a potential double play grounder by Mark Teixeira with the bases loaded and no outs, the Yankees first baseman was called safe by first base umpire Paul Schrieber. It was close, but the throw might have beaten Teixeira’s foot to the bag. Had it been called the other way, that could have helped keep the Yankees from their second and third runs of the inning. Yeah, he was out. On the slow-mo replay, he was out. Youk caught it before Teixeira tagged the bag.

“I’d like to think they’re always out,’’ Francona said. “Big play.’’

There were other reasons, though, that the Sox didn’t win. Scutaro made the error. Okajima gave up the walk. Lester didn’t make the pitches. But, also, the offense didn’t produce enough — outside of Victor Martinez, who hit a two-run homer and added an RBI double. This was beautiful. More concerns were raised about David Ortiz, who now is 0 for 7 with three men stranded. Eh, give the guy a break, it's early still. Concerning a bit, but still early in the season.

The image that remained, however, was of yet another error from yet another shortstop. To be fair, Jeter errored. And I laughed. I hate that asshole. Him and A-Fraud just have this douchebaggy look in their eyes. Call it "Aura of Douchebag" about them. I'd like to kick them both in the balls, then a good upper cut right in their face.

“It’s always hard when you make errors that cost you the game,’’ Scutaro said. “But you just turn the page and come back tomorrow and win the series. Can do nothing about it now.’’

Another factor here: Pedroia hit a foul that was almost a homer, and the wind was blowing in the direction that made it foul. Bad luck is all. Woulda ended up at least a tie game hat it gone in.

Let me just say... FUCK THE YANKEES! We can beat them again tonight, I have faith. Marlins and Braves play again today as well. Results forthcoming in tomorrow's post.

Edited by Greyskull

AGAIN, FUCK THE YANKEES!

Tough loss, 3-1. Lackey looked great though, and Big Papi RBI'd. We'll get 'em next time.

BOSTON -- John Lackey will remember his Red Sox debut as being bittersweet.

He threw six scoreless innings against the vaunted New York Yankees. Showing none of the issues his colleagues Josh Beckett and Jon Lester had earlier in the week, Lackey yielded just three singles and struck out three, leaving with a well-earned 1-0 lead.

Jonathan Papelbon, however, will remember Lackey's Red Sox debut as just plain bitter. Called upon in a tie game in the top of the ninth, Papelbon got through one frame before falling apart in the 10th and getting saddled with his first loss of the year.

It was a tale of two pitchers whose efforts added up to a 3-1 loss to the Yankees before another sellout crowd at Fenway Park.

Although he had pitched here several times before, Lackey said the vibe was much different being on the home side. He admitted to also being a bit distracted by some personal issues, but showed no effects of either the off-field problems or the on-field drama of a Boston-New York affair.

"Honestly I had a lot of things on my mind today, and there was some added pressure," Lackey said. "You want to win the series and being here I wanted to start out with a good impression.… As a starter, your job is to give your team a chance to win. I felt like I did that tonight, so after that you just want a team win."

The latter goal was not achieved. The former most certainly was.

Lackey retired 11 of the first 13 men he faced and did not allow a runner to reach second base until Curtis Granderson stole the bag with one out in the fifth. A second man got that far in the sixth after a hit batter and a walk, but Lackey's best friend, the ground ball, resulted in an inning-ending double play and sent the big Texan to the showers feeling fine.

He had thrown 100 pitches, plenty for the first start of the season. After seeing what transpired in the wake of Lackey's departure, however, manager Terry Francona might have wished he could have taken a chance.

"He pitched great," Francona said. I would've liked to have him pitch all night."

Alas, there was reliever Scott Schoeneweis allowing the tying run to reach in the seventh, and Daniel Bard letting it come in on a Nick Swisher single to right. And there was Papelbon, taking over for Bard and starting the 10th off with a fat fastball that Granderson deposited into the right-field grandstand.

And there was Papelbon walking Brett Gardner and then Derek Jeter, helping to set up an RBI groundout by Mark Teixeira that gave the Yankees an insurance run. And with that, Lackey's hope for a successful debut with the Red Sox went by the wayside.

"You try to go out there and put yourself in a position to win, and you don't do that, so of course it's disappointing," Papelbon said.

Both the Boston closer and his skipper said that he was as strong as he has been in some time. Papelbon himself said if he can duplicate the way he felt physically Wednesday for the rest of the season, he will be fine.

But the results were clearly not there and what could have been a beautiful beginning for Lackey was a bitter night for the Red Sox.

MARLINS WON 7-6

Marlins Waste Gem by Ricky Nolasco, Topple Mets 7-6 in Extra Innings

by Associated Press on Apr 8, 2010 12:04:15 AM

NEW YORK -- Wes Helms slid home headfirst to barely beat Rod Barajas' sweeping tag, scoring on Ronny Paulino's pinch-hit single to help the Florida Marlins beat the New York Mets 7-6 after their flimsy bullpen wasted a terrific outing by Ricky Nolasco.

Helms' hand swiped the plate just ahead of Barajas' lunging play, and the Marlins earned their first win of the season.

Leo Nunez (1-0) walked in a run among three free passes and balked in the tying score over 1 1/3 innings, but came away with the win in the 4 hour, 12 minute game. Tim Wood pitched the 10th for his first career save.

Hisanori Takahashi (0-1) gave up a run in the 10th for New York.

Nolasco was cruising before he walked the first two batters of the seventh with the Marlins leading 6-1. The right-hander departed after Barajas hit a sacrifice fly for the second out of the inning, and his bullpen gave it all back.

Renyel Pinto, Jose Veras and Nunez combined to walk in two runs, balk in another and hit a batter over the next 2 1/3 innings.

It could've been worse but the Mets, plagued by mental gaffes last season when they went 70-92, ran out of a bases-loaded rally in the seventh. Veras' first pitch of the night deflected off catcher John Baker with David Wright at the plate, and Fernando Tatis tried to score. Baker made a nice throw to Veras, who tagged Tatis for the final out.

The Mets tied it in the eighth. Nunez, who relieved with the bases loaded, walked Tatis and balked while pitching to Alex Cora, scoring Gary Matthews Jr. to tie it at 6.

Hanley Ramirez, Jorge Cantu and Dan Uggla homered for the Marlins, who finished with 17 hits.

Florida manager Fredi Gonzalez said before the game that Nolasco was a top-tier No. 2 starter, and he lived up to his praise. Nolasco allowed just three hits, including Cora's leadoff triple, and struck out five.

The Marlins' bullpen gave it away, though.

Wright and Mike Jacobs singled leading off the eighth, and Wright scored when Jason Bay grounded into a fielder's choice and Uggla threw the relay away for the Marlins first error of the night and fourth of the series.

Notes

Marlins OF Brett Carroll, on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique, should start a rehabilitation assignment in Jupiter on Thursday or Friday. ... Mets 20-year-old rookie Jenrry Mejia gave up an RBI double to Gaby Sanchez in his first appearance. ... Mets starter John Maine gave up four runs in five innings.

BRAVES WON 3-2

Jones' 2-run homer lifts Braves past Cubs, 3-2

By CHARLES ODUM,

AP Sports Writer

ATLANTA (AP) Chipper Jones likes the new look of Atlanta's bullpen.

Questions about Chicago's bullpen already are starting to irritate Lou Piniella.

Jones hit a go-ahead, two-run homer in the eighth inning, setting up Billy Wagner's first save, and the Braves held off the Cubs 3-2 on Wednesday night.

Martin Prado hit a one-out double off left-hander John Grabow (0-1), ending a string of 15 consecutive outs by Braves batters, before Jones connected for his first homer of the season.

"You just felt like that was an opportunity to at least get the game tied," Jones said. "I'm not thinking homer there. I'm thinking get the run in, hit the ball in the gap."

Jones hit a high changeup over the wall in left-center.

"I had a lefty coming up behind me, and I didn't feel he was going to give in and give me a fastball," Jones said.

Cubs relievers have allowed 10 runs, eight earned, in two losses. One bright spot has been Sean Marshall, who struck out two in a perfect seventh inning in relief of Ryan Dempster.

Piniella was indignant when asked if Marshall's role might change.

"We've played two games," Piniella said. "We're not in our 22nd game or our 42nd game, for God's sake. It was just a tough loss. Let's leave it at that."

Peter Moylan (1-0) worked around a hit and a walk during a scoreless eighth and Wagner finished for his first save with the Braves. Alfonso Soriano singled with one out in the ninth but the left-hander responded by striking out pinch-hitter Xavier Nady and Geovany Soto to end the game.

"In the past teams still felt like they had a chance and could score on us late," Jones said, adding Wagner "takes the air out of people's sails."

Wagner, 38, earned his first save since elbow ligament-replacement surgery in 2008.

"That's always fun. That's instant adrenaline," said Wagner, who signed a one-year, $7 million deal with Atlanta over the winter.

The Braves also added Takashi Saito to their bullpen in the offseason. Wagner and Saito replaced Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez.

Dempster gave up one run and three hits in six innings. He struck out nine and left with a 2-1 lead.

The right-hander struck out Troy Glaus and Yunel Escobar with the bases loaded in the third and didn't allow another baserunner.

"I cruised after that," Dempster said. "Unfortunately, in the second and third innings I ran my pitch count up. I have to keep my pitch count down a little better."

Dempster, who threw 95 pitches, was pulled for pinch-hitter Chad Tracy in the top of the seventh.

Braves phenom Jason Heyward hit an RBI double in the second and finished 1 for 3 with two strikeouts. The 20-year-old rookie homered and drove in four runs in his major league debut on Monday.

The Cubs scored two unearned runs off Jair Jurrjens in the fifth to take a 2-1 lead. With one out and the bases loaded, Dempster hit a sharp grounder to first base that Troy Glaus bobbled for an error, allowing Soriano to score. Ryan Theriot followed with a sacrifice fly to center.

Soriano helped set up the inning when he beat out a potential double-play grounder in a close play. Braves manager Bobby Cox briefly argued first-base umpire Marvin Hudson's call.

Jurrjens allowed five hits over five innings, with two walks and two strikeouts.

Dempster gained momentum after the third, striking out Heyward and Nate McLouth to open the fourth and Melky Cabrera and Prado to open the fifth.

NOTES: Glaus had four strikeouts, giving him six in his first two games with the Braves. ... Kosuke Fukudome singled and stole second in the eighth, the Cubs' first stolen base of the season. ... CF Jordan Schafer, who opened the 2009 season as the Braves' starter, had his left hand and wrist examined, and was scheduled to report to the team's minor league camp on Thursday. After being sent down to Triple-A Gwinnett last season, Schafer had season-ending surgery on the wrist on Sept. 5 and has been discouraged that the injury has been slow to heal. ... Former Atlanta RHP John Smoltz, who has not retired but has agreed to work on some local telecasts of Braves games, visited the Braves' dugout during batting practice. Smoltz also will serve as an analyst for the TBS and MLB.com networks.

AGAIN, FUCK THE YANKEES!

Sweet Jesus some people like to hit the panic button early. After those three games, I'm seeing articles "Top trio pitchers unable to get it done" and other articles going hard on Ortiz, when he made the only RBI in game 3. Give me a break. It's only the start of the season. The first 3 games one of which we won against one of the toughest teams in baseball, the other 2 were very close losses. I gotta say, I agree with Big Papi when he told people to hold their judgments.

BOSTON -- The slump that David Ortiz had at the start of 2009 was one of epic proportions. He didn't homer until May 20. In a market like Boston, Ortiz is going to be more scrutinized at the start of this season because of that.

So his 0-for-7 drought against the Yankees in the first two games of 2010 caused his locker to draw a crowd after Tuesday night's 6-4 loss.

Big Papi was not the least bit amused to be questioned about a "slump" after seven at-bats.

"It's not time to worry about that [stuff], not yet," said Ortiz. "Look, dog, I'm not talking."

For a very short period after that, Ortiz did talk, displaying some frustration toward the media.

"There's ... 160 games left," said a near incredulous Ortiz. "[People] are going crazy. What's up with that, man?"

Red Sox manager Terry Francona was asked after the game if he considered sending Mike Lowell up to hit for Ortiz in the bottom of the eighth, when the Yankees brought on lefty Damaso Marte.

"No, no, we're two games into the season," Francona said. "I don't think we need to start doing that. Not because I don't think Mikey can hit. I just think the big picture needs to be remembered."

Even after enduring the worst slump of his career to start 2009, Ortiz proved his ability to bounce back, finishing the season with 28 homers and 99 RBIs.

From June 6 through the end of last season, Ortiz hit 27 homers to lead the American League over that time period.

"Well, if David comes out and hit two home runs tomorrow and goes 4-for-4, he's probably back to hitting .300, so tomorrow's another day," said Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis. "It's only the third game. We'll worry at 100. I'm not worried about him."

Neither is Victor Martinez.

"It's just the second game," said Martinez. "It's not time to be panicking right now."

Did Francona notice anything about Ortiz's at-bats the first two games?

"I thought he was a little bit in between," Francona said. "I don't think two games [is an indicator]. Guys go 0-for-4, then they go 3-for-4, that's not going to make or break a season. It would be nice to get him on track, though. I agree."

Marlins win 3-1 over Mets

NEW YORK -- Nate Robertson pitched five solid innings in his first start for Florida in eight seasons, and the Marlins beat the New York Mets 3-1 on Thursday night to win their season-opening series.

Jorge Cantu hit a tiebreaking RBI double in the fifth and Gaby Sanchez added a run-scoring double in the sixth for Florida, which took the last two of the three-game set after losing 7-1 on opening day.

The Mets wasted an effective outing by Jonathon Niese, who made his first start at Citi Field since he tore his right hamstring during a victory over St. Louis last August. The 23-year-old left-hander allowed three runs and eight hits in six innings.

Jeff Francoeur hit an RBI double in the fourth but that was all New York could manage against Robertson, who was acquired from Detroit on March 30 when the Tigers decided to give their final rotation spot to former Marlins star Dontrelle Willis. Florida got Robertson and cash from Detroit for a minor league pitcher.

It sure looked like a nice deal on Thursday night.

Robertson (1-0) allowed six hits in his first start for the Marlins since Sept. 7, 2002, at Pittsburgh. Florida selected the lefty in the fifth round of the 1999 draft and included him in a 2003 trade with Detroit that put Mark Redman in Miami, where he helped the Marlins win the World Series later that year.

Burke Badenhop followed Robertson with three innings of one-hit ball and Leo Nunez finished for his first save. The crisp effort by Florida's bullpen came one night after the Marlins had to go to the 10th inning for a 7-6 victory after they led 6-1 in the seventh.

New York left two runners on in the second and fourth in front of a sluggish crowd of 25,982. Ruben Tejada, making his first career start, grounded into a fielder's choice to end the second and Niese tapped out to finish the fourth.

Niese's injury last year was one of the lasting images from a trying season for the Mets. He was hurt covering first base on Aug. 5, and collapsed when he tried to throw a practice pitch. He spent three weeks in bed after surgery to repair his hamstring and couldn't walk normally for six weeks.

Back on the mound in New York, Niese (0-1) got a couple of bad breaks in the first. Cameron Maybin reached on a one-out grounder that skipped past lunging first baseman Fernando Tatis. He moved up on Hanley Ramirez's walk and scored when Dan Uggla's hard bouncer appeared to glance off third baseman David Wright's glove for an RBI single.

Tatis helped Niese with his glove in the third. With runners on second and third, he scooped up Wright's bouncing throw to retire Uggla for the final out of the inning.

NOTES: Mets SS Jose Reyes (thyroid) was scheduled to play in Class-A St. Lucie's season opener on Thursday night. If he gets through the rehab game with no problems, New York manager Jerry Manuel said he likely would play against Washington on Saturday. ... Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said he may try to get C Ronny Paulino some work at first base so he has more options late in games. ... Citi Field had a sellout crowd of 41,245 on Monday and hosted 38,863 on Wednesday night. ... Marlins RHP Chris Volstad is scheduled to face Dodgers RHP Hiroki Kuroda in Florida's home opener on Friday night. ... Mets RHP Mike Pelfrey and Nationals RHP Garrett Mock are slated to pitch when New York hosts Washington on Friday night in the opener of a three-game series.

Braves lose in upset against Cubs 2-0

By Carroll Rogers

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Braves lost the momentum they built in winning the first two games of this series, and the season, on the trajectory of two Cubs home runs off pitcher Tommy Hanson in a 2-0 loss Thursday night.

A series that started with an electrifying home run by Jason Heyward ended with a dud after a ninth-inning rally fell short and the Braves were left with their first shutout of the season, after Melky Cabrera took a called third strike with runners on the corners.

The Cubs struggled to make contact off Hanson early -- with seven strikeouts in the first four innings -- but when they did, they put it to good use. Tyler Colvin and Marlon Byrd, a pair of Cubs with Georgia ties, each hit solo shots to give the Cubs a 2-0 lead after the fourth inning.

The two home runs were the most given up in a game by Hanson since his major league debut last June, when he gave up three to the Brewers. It took him his last eight starts of a stellar 2009 season to give up two home runs.

Hanson came out firing hard in his 2010 debut Thursday night, hitting 98 mph on the radar gun in the first inning, but the Cubs fed off some of that velocity with balls to the seats by Colvin on a 2-1 fastball and Byrd on a 1-0 pitch.

Hanson’s location was a little off, as was evident when he walked pitcher Randy Wells in the second inning and fell behind in the count on both the home runs. He had thrown 63 pitches by the end of the third inning and reached 100 in the fifth, when Bobby Cox came for the ball after Hanson put runners on the corners.

The Braves' offense, which had scored 16 runs in the opener and three runs in a come-from-behind win Wednesday, never got on track against Randy Wells to get Hanson off the hook.

Chipper Jones, whose eighth-inning homer drove in the winning runs Wednesday night, came out of the game in the fourth inning with a sore right side. Jones grimaced after taking a big swing during the course of a third-inning walk.

Jones, who has had problems over the years with strained oblique muscles, is considered day-to-day.

Wells has faced the Braves three times, including twice last season as a rookie, and allowed no more than two runs in any of those starts. He pitched six shutout innings Thursday, allowing six hits and two walks but held the Braves to 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position.

Troy Glaus snapped out of his four-strikeout funk from Wednesday night with two sharp singles to right field. But he could have used one of them either in the third inning or the eighth, when he had runners in scoring position.

Glaus grounded into a double play with the bases loaded in the third inning to make that three times in three games that he has come to the plate with the bases loaded and less than two outs and failed to drive in a run. He then stranded two more runners in the eighth on a groundout after Martin Prado started an eight-inning rally with a one-out hit, followed by a walk to Brian McCann.

For April 9th, 2010: Ugly loss to the Royals... But it's only the beginning of the season. Still not time to panic.

Royals 4, Red Sox 3

The Boston Globe

Sox bullpen can’t finish off Royals

By Amalie Benjamin

Globe Staff / April 10, 2010

KANSAS CITY — — It was Hideki Okajima on Tuesday. It was Jonathan Papelbon on Wednesday. It was Daniel Bard last night.

With Tim Wakefield going seven sparkling innings — allowing two runs and striking out six — the knuckleballer left it to the bullpen to hold down the Royals for two innings. Once again, the bullpen faltered, as Kansas City took the series opener, 4-3.

Okajima allowed a double to David DeJesus to lead off the eighth inning, then a sacrifice bunt moved DeJesus to third.

Needing a strikeout to preserve a 3-2 lead, manager Terry Francona turned to fireballer Bard, figuring his triple-digit heat is hard to catch up to after watching a knuckleball all evening.

Bard, who has pitched in each of the first four games, walked the first batter, Alberto Callaspo. He struck out Billy Butler, but pinch runner Willie Bloomquist stole second. With two down and men on second and third, Rick Ankiel — who had homered off Wakefield — sent a broken-bat single over shortstop Marco Scutaro, giving the Royals a 4-3 lead. That left the Sox to face Royals closer Joakim Soria, who wouldn’t budge in the ninth.

“Thought I made a decent pitch 2-0, trying to go in with a fastball. It was in,’’ Bard said. “Broke his bat, but it carried over the infielder’s head. That’s baseball.

“They earned the win. They fought and they battled and they scrapped together a couple runs when they needed it. Tip my hat to them in that respect. But obviously wish, when you make a decent pitch, you hope you get a better result. Doesn’t always happen.’’

Three straight losses for the Sox. Three straight losses for the bullpen, the relievers going 13 1/3 innings in the first four games and allowing eight earned runs. To make matters worse, the Sox face reigning American League Cy Young winner Zack Greinke tonight.

“It’s tough,’’ Bard said. “Our starters — Wake did a heck of a job, [John] Lackey did a heck of a job, and we haven’t gotten them wins. I carry a lot of that on my shoulders the last two. Keep trucking. I’m not going to let it affect me too much. I feel like I’m still making pitches. Not going to look at it as any more than that.’’

Of course, the bullpen isn’t the only issue. There’s also an offense that couldn’t extend the lead, despite multiple chances against the Royals’ relievers.

“We didn’t spread it out,’’ Francona said. “We let them hang around, and paid the price for it.’’

Wakefield started 2010 as he had 2009, pitching well at the back of a top-heavy rotation. He was an All-Star last season, then didn’t pitch much in the second half, needing back surgery in the offseason. Then, proclaimed the odd man out among six Sox starters, he demonstrated health, impressive pitching, and won a spot in the rotation — and last night became the oldest pitcher to start a game in Sox history at 43 years, 250 days.

“Really?’’ Francona said before the game. “I hope he’s the oldest to win a game.’’

That didn’t happen. (Though, to be fair, Wakefield needs another couple of months to qualify, as Dennis Eckersley was 43 years, 349 days when he won his final game with the Sox.) Wakefield was impressive, allowing just back-to-back solo homers from Butler (on a fastball) and Ankiel in the sixth.

“I felt like I had good movement on my knuckleball,’’ Wakefield said. “I was throwing a lot of strikes. The only mistake that I really made was the 3-1 fastball to Butler. I meant to throw it away and I threw it right down the middle and he hit a homer. I got beat with a bad pitch.’’

Those six strikeouts he recorded? They were just two fewer than the trio of aces had combined for during their first starts.

“He was terrific,’’ Francona said. “Ball was moving. He had the two pitches that were two quick runs. Other than that, he was really, really good.’’

As catcher Victor Martinez said, “Can’t ask for anything better than that.’’

Wakefield was aided by an excellent defensive play in the fourth. With two down and Jose Guillen on first, Jason Kendall ripped a double over the head of center fielder Mike Cameron. But Cameron tracked it down and threw to relay man Dustin Pedroia, who whipped it to Martinez, who had blocked the plate skillfully. Guillen was out.

The Sox took a 3-0 lead in the fourth. Kevin Youkilis led off with a single and reached third on David Ortiz’s hustle double to left, with the Royals in the typical shift for the designated hitter. Adrian Beltre scored Youkilis with a ground out to second. Then it was J.D. Drew’s turn.

Drew entered with just two hits in 13 at-bats but slammed a pitch 443 feet to straightaway center for a two-run blast off Royals starter Kyle Davies.

“Able to hit it where nobody could catch it,’’ Drew said. “I knew I hit it out when I hit it. Not very many times you hit a ball to center field and you know it’s going to go out.’’

It wasn’t enough, as the Sox didn’t score after that. They were 1 for 8 with runners in scoring position, and are now 7 for 37 this season.

“It’s just four games,’’ Martinez said. “We still have 158. No reason to be worrying about 1-3.’’

Thankfully, they are doing much better tonight so far!

Marlins also suffered a tough loss. 7-3.

DODGERS 7, MARLINS 3

Relievers struggle in Florida Marlins loss to Los Angeles Dodgers

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/10/1572...l#ixzz0kkh7Q2nN

BY CLARK SPENCER

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

The ``teal monster'' scoreboard is gone. They forgot about reliever Tim Wood during the player introductions. The jet flyover never happened.

Could a home opener be any less satisfying? Yes, it could.

On top of everything else, the Marlins lost 7-3 to the Los Angeles Dodgers, providing Friday's crowd of 40,666 with little to cheer until it was too late to matter.

At least they didn't run out of hot dogs.

Marlins starter Chris Volstad succumbed in a pitching duel with the Dodgers' Hiroki Kuroda, Manny Ramirez silenced the boos with a leadoff double that sparked a four-run rally, and the Marlins offense mustered only one unearned run off Kuroda in front of one of the largest turnouts they'll experience all season, and the largest for a home opener since 2005.

Even two of the Marlins' star attractions, Chris Coghlan and Hanley Ramirez, had forgettable nights. Coghlan and Ramirez were each presented with trophies during pregame festivities, Coghlan with his NL Rookie of the Year plaque and Ramirez with a silver bat for winning the batting title.

But Ramirez was charged with a throwing error that enabled at least one extra run to score in the Dodgers' four-run seventh, and Coghlan took the wrong route on a fly ball to left that sailed over his glove when they put up three more runs in the ninth.

``We didn't quite make some plays,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

The cheers turned to a shower of boos for the Marlins when they walked off the field after the ninth. It was that kind of night.

Volstad hadn't pitched in an actual game, spring training or regular season, in 10 days.

He pitched a simulated game on Easter Sunday, one that encompassed a few batters, a couple of fielders and nothing else on a practice diamond in Jupiter.

It was a far cry from the throng that turned out for the home opener.

And the Dodgers, who owned the best record in the National League last season, posed a far greater threat than the minor-leaguers he pitched to in the ``sim'' game.

But Volstad said he gained confidence in the first after Rafael Furcal reached third with no outs but failed to score.

``I guess you could say that started the night as far as being able to attack guys,'' Volstad said.

For six innings, Volstad more than held his own, permitting only three base runners, none of whom scored.

But immediately after the Marlins broke through against Kuroda on Jorge Cantu's run-scoring single in the sixth inning, the Dodgers came to life in the seventh, starting with Manny Ramirez's leadoff double.

VOLSTAD EXITS

One out later, Casey Blake doubled to tie the score, followed by a Blake DeWitt RBI single that put the Dodgers on top and ended Volstad's night.

While Volstad was finished, the Dodgers weren't.

Clay Hensley, who squeezed his way onto the roster by impressing the coaching staff during spring training with his knack for throwing strikes, walked two batters -- one intentionally -- and caught a tough break when Ramirez's throwing error enabled two runs to score.

And then the Dodgers went to work in the ninth on relievers Jose Veras and Renyel Pinto, who were major figures in Wednesday's bullpen blowup in New York.

PADDING THE LEAD

After two runners reached on Veras, Pinto took over in relief and promptly gave up an automatic double to James Loney that extended the Dodgers' lead to 6-1. Manny Ramirez made it 7-1 with his RBI single.

``You've got to keep running those guys out there,'' Gonzalez said of the two relievers. ``They're going to be with us, they've got to get over that stuff. [Pinto] is a big part of our bullpen. The only way I know how to do it is keep running them out there.

``We'll get them over the hump.''

The Marlins struck for two runs in the ninth, with Wes Helms driving in both with his club-record 45th pinch hit.

The Marlins likely lost ground in the standings, but in the absence of a stadium scoreboard that had flashed scores for 17 seasons, it's hard to say for sure.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/10/1572...l#ixzz0kkhMYnPO

Atlanta Braves lost as well after a long 13 inning battle. 5-4.

Renteria and Giants beat Braves in 13 innings

By David O'Brien

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

SAN FRANCISCO -- With a two-run lead and closer Billy Wagner in to pitch the ninth, the bleary-eyed Braves had reason to be confident.

The San Francisco Giants, however, had at least one reason to believe it wasn't over. A cool-under-pressure, hot-hitting veteran the Braves know well -- Edgar Renteria, once one of their own.

Renteria hit a tying two-run homer off Wagner in the ninth, and the Giants won 5-4 in 13 innings on Aaron Rowand's two-out infield single after a controversial play put the winning run into scoring position.

"As hot as he is, you can't afford to make a pitch like that to him," Wagner said of the high slider that Renteria hit to the bleachers in left-center field. "Today was a tough one, considering we had that game won."

Bobby Cox was ejected in the 13th inning for the 154th time and first of his farewell season. Rookie Jason Heyward went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts, and Tim Hudson's strong seven-inning performance in his season debut became a footnote.

"We pitched great all day long. Wags just hung a breaking ball to Renteria," said Cox, whose Braves have lost two in a row to even their record through four games. "Huddy pitched ... you can't pitch any better than that."

Hudson faced the minimum 18 batters through six innings before allowing two runs in the seventh on two hits (including a Renteria double) followed by three consecutive groundouts.

"It was a good outing for me, but I'm disappointed I gave up two runs," said Hudson, charged with three hits, two runs and no walks. "They took advantage of what opportunities they had."

Hudson left with a 3-2 lead after seven, and the Braves added a run in the eighth on David Ross' bases-loaded walk with one out.

"Hudson was amazing," Giants left fielder Mark DeRosa said of the veteran right-hander, who missed most of last season recovering from elbow surgery. "He's back. I went into that game with a lot of confidence, and he squelched it with the first at-bat."

The Braves could have added to the lead in the eighth, but left runners on base for the first of several times in the late innings.

Pinch-hitter Brooks Conrad struck out, and Melky Cabrera grounded out to leave the bases loaded in the eighth, one of six times they stranded multiple runners while leaving a total of 14 on base for the afternoon.

The Giants (4-0) rallied behind the .688-hitting Renteria and won their home opener before a sellout crowd of 42,940, after sweeping Houston on the road to begin the season. Renteria had five hits in the series finale against the Astros and went 3-for-5 on Friday.

Not that the Braves, playing without injured third baseman Chipper Jones, didn't have more chances to put it away before the bottom of the 13th.

Troy Glaus flied out with the bases loaded in the 11th inning, making him 0-for-4 in those situations this season.

Two innings later, the Braves failed to score following Brian McCann's leadoff single in the 13th. Cox was tossed by first-base umpire Bob Davidson for arguing that Kris Medlen (0-1) had pulled his bat back on a bunt attempt called a strikeout.

The Giants pulled out the win in the 13th after Medlen walked Juan Uribe with one out, then saw him race to third on a two-out play that left McCann pleading for an interference call from home-plate umpire Tim Tschida.

Uribe stole second, and McCann's throw sailed wide after his arm struck Rowand's bat before the ball left the catcher's hand. "His bat hit me," McCann said.

"Looked like interference," Cox said. "The bat stuck under his arm pit."

There was no call, and Uribe went from first to third on the play. Rowand drove him in with a bouncing single that Yunel Escobar fielded on the edge of the outfield grass between shortstop and third, with no chance to make a play.

TONIGHT, 4/10/2010 RED SOX HAD A SOLID VICTORY OVER THE ROYALS 8-3

Beckett, long balls power Red Sox

Ace buckles down as Hermida, Varitek, Youkilis go deep

KANSAS CITY -- Facing the American League's reigning Cy Young Award winner isn't the ideal scenario when the task at hand is to erase a three-game winning streak. But the Red Sox dug down deep and did just that, riding a gritty performance by ace Josh Beckett and some timely hits en route to an 8-3 victory over Zack Greinke and the Royals on Saturday

Beckett, pitching for the first time since signing a four-year, $68 million extension and also trying to erase the sting of a subpar performance on Opening Night, allowed nine hits but just three runs over seven innings. The righty walked one and struck out four, and managed to keep the lead intact during a turbulent bottom of the seventh, in which the Royals worked him for 32 pitches and scored twice to nip Boston's edge to 4-3.

Kevin Youkilis unloaded for a solo shot in the eighth, giving the Sox an insurance run.

The bullpen, which had been inconsistent during the losing streak, buckled down and preserved Beckett's first win of 2010.

The Sox overturned a 1-0 deficit in the top of the fifth with two swings. Jeremy Hermida and Jason Varitek, both making their first starts of the season, belted back-to-back solo shots against Greinke.

Boston knocked Greinke out of the game in the seventh, riding an RBI double by Jacoby Ellsbury and a sacrifice fly by Dustin Pedroia to give Beckett a three-run cushion.

Game over: Red Sox 8, Royals 3

Zack Greinke started a game and the Red Sox ended up with eight runs? Yes. The three-game losing streak is over and the Sox will try for the series tomorrow with Clay Buchholz opposing Gil Meche.

Middle of the 9th: Red Sox 8, Royals 3

Varitek homered again, again to right field. After Ellsbury singled, Pedroia crunched one over the fence in left. That's five homers for the Sox tonight and 12 hits in all.

With the game in end, Papelbon sits down and Ramon Ramirez is on to pitch.

Bottom of the 8th: Red Sox 5, Royals 3

The Sox added what could be a big run when Youkilis homered to center off Dusty Hughes. Now Okajima gets the call with nobody warming up behind him.

Top of the 8th: Red Sox 4, Royals 3

Beckett ended the inning. Now the question becomes who pitches the 8th?

Bottom of the 7th: Red Sox 4, Royals 3

Rocky inning for Beckett. Guillen started it with a double (the fourth double Beckett has allowed) before Kendall singled. With runners on the corners, Betancourt grounded into a double play.

A run scored, but the Sox happily took the two outs in trade. But Gets singled, stole second and scored on a rocket up the middle of the bat of DeJesus that appeared to nick Beckett on the back of the head going by.

The Sox are hoping Beckett can end the inning before they have to use their combustible bullpen.

Top of of the 7th: Red Sox 4, Royals 1

Greinke is finished after 108 pitches. Dusty Hughes in.

Top of the 7th: Red Sox 4, Royals 1

The Sox are beating Zack Greinke like an old rug on a clothesline. Well, almost. After Scutaro was hit by a pitch, he scored on a double to the gap in right by Ellsbury. Then Pedroia delivered a sacrifice fly. The Sox have eight hits off Greinke in 6.2 innings. Ain't so bad.

Middle of the 6th: Red Sox 2, Royals 1

The last time Greinke allowed back-to-back home runs was Aori 18, 2005 in KC when Casey Blake and Ben Broussard did it for Cleveland.

Meanwhile, Beckett is working on a four-hitter and has worked around hits in each of the last two innings. He was at 61 pitches after five innings, very economical.

Middle of the 5th: Red Sox 2, Royals 1

The Sox had a chance for more. But with Scutaro on second and Pedroia on first after being hit by a pitch, Martinez grounded into a double play for the third straight game.

Top of the 5th: Red Sox 2, Royals 1

The Sox strike on successive pitches as Jeremy Hermida crushes one to the back wall of the KC bullpen then Jason Varitek sneaks one over the fence the same way. Now Marco Scutaro had singled and stolen second base.

Top of the 5th: Royals 1, Red Sox 0

Not much has changed here at Kauffman Stadium. Each team has three hits.

Top of the 4th: Royals 1, Red Sox 0

Joe West would approve of this game as the Royals go in order Beckett also has retired seven straight.

Middle of the 3rd: Royals 1, Red Sox 0

Greinke has that Roy Halladay thing going where he's not overpowering but he's getting the hitters to swing at the pitches he wants them to swing at and they're not doing much with them.

Scutaro and Ellsbury popped to center and Pedroia grounded to second. Greinke has retired seven straight.

Top of the 3rd: Royals 1, Red Sox 0

Beckett retired the side in order, getting two grounders and striking out Getz.

Middle of the 2nd: Royals 1, Red Sox 0

The Sox went peacefully as Lowell and Hermida grounded out and Varitek struck out looking on a 3-2 breaking pitch.

Top of the 2nd: Royals 1, Red Sox 0

Beckett needed six pitches to get the first two outs. Then the trouble started. Callaspo doubled and Butler walked before Ankiel (5 for 5, 4 RBI in the series) singled to right to drive in a run. Guillen grounded out to end the inning.

Middle of the 1st: Red Sox 0, Royals 0

Youkilis had a two-out single to put runners on first and second. But Drew popped to right as the Red Sox fell to 7 of 38 with runners in scoring position this season.

Much bigger crowd here tonight than the grim turnout of 21,091 they had last night.

Top of the 1st: Red Sox 0, Royals 0

Beautiful night in Kansas City for a baseball game. First pitch at 6:11 local time and Jacoby Ellsbury leads off with a single to left. Enjoy the game.

Kinda sad they sat Big Papi, but I'm very pleased with the results. I have mixed feelings.

Marlins are currently tied and Braves are early in their game. I'll post those games tomorrow.

"thats why the red sox will never win the damn series"

I love quoting :uhm:

Er? Because Big Papi's there? Like I said, I have mixed emotions. He had a horrible slump last year. But you can't deny the results of tonight's game. Still, I love the guy for helping break the Curse, his loyalty to the Sox, being a symbol of the Sox, etc. Replacing him with Lowell wouldn't produce enough results, I don't think. But replacing him with V-mart? And no way in hell do I want the Yankees to get another ring this year (or any year)... I'm just kinda "wait and see" I guess, right now.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. It's a "Lost" quote from Jack apparently. I haven't seen the series. Some people are saying he's probably a Yankees fan the way he said it. If that's the case, then fuck him.

Edited by Greyskull

Er? Because Big Papi's there? Like I said, I have mixed emotions. He had a horrible slump last year. But you can't deny the results of tonight's game. Still, I love the guy for helping break the Curse, his loyalty to the Sox, being a symbol of the Sox, etc. Replacing him with Lowell wouldn't produce enough results, I don't think. But replacing him with V-mart? And no way in hell do I want the Yankees to get another ring this year (or any year)... I'm just kinda "wait and see" I guess, right now.

Lol i'm sorry.

i was just quoting from the tv show lost

i actually have no knowlege of baseball,other than its a sport and terms like "home run" and "strike 3"