Hondo's Bar

The Return Of Hobbes

Reverend Jax

OK, I read this sometime ago (like maybe 2 or more years). Was thinking about it and figured y'all would like to read it. When I first started reading it, I was thinking "hmm, there is a connection, weird..." When I was finished, I was blown away. Is it possible that the fact that one is my favorite movie and the other is my favorite comic is not a coincidence? Is it because I'm attracted to the similar underlying themes? Anyway, check it out, read it all if you have the time. It just might blow your mind:

The Return of Hobbes

OK, so I did a search for the Spaceman Spiff action figure. It came up with nothing. Unless you provide soem kinda link to some proof, I'll tend to believe there is no such action figure on the way. Bill Watterson has always been the pillar of unwavering and absolute idealism when it's comes to merchandising.

And as far as Spaceman Spiff's connect to Fight Club, hmmm, teh space monkeys from Fight Club?

Exactly. If Hobbes is the repressed imaginative part of Calvin's brain, then it would be safe to say that Calvin also repressed the rest of his imaginative thinking. Therefore, all the things that Calvin once imagined for himself are now part of Hobbes' thinking. In his youth, Calvin did the imagining, and Hobbes was just a part of it. Now Hobbes does all the imagining. So, a spaceman from Hobbes' point of view might become a spacemonkey. Since Hobbes was originally not a man, he might've changed SpaceMAN to SpaceMONKEY to fit in with his personality better (monkey being another jungle animal).

Ha...ok Jax, best proof i got: run on down to Anime Hurricane sometime soon, check out the newest copy of "Toyfare" (should be right by Wizard, one might be open too). Skim it, youll see Spiff and details on a whole slew of Calvin & Hobbes figures onna way. Might be a custom job (unofficial) but it didnt look it.

Ok then, so...what about the box? Any theories on the transmogriphier, or the babysitter?

Well the babysitter is just the greater stronger forces calvin is always tryign to fight but ultimately loses to. As for the box...I'll get back to you.

Toyfare seems reputable enough, but I highly doubt it's an official thing. Bill Watterson has maintained his principles and not sold them out for almost 17 years now when it comes to Calvin & Hobbes. I hardly think he would start selling Calvin now. I'll check it out, maybe even today.

Bill Hicks there did it too, was a great comedian. Ya oughta look him up sometime.

Still aint seen Toyfare? ill double check it at the comic shop today, looked like a prototype Spiff to me, and plans for the others. Again, i could be wrong, could be a custom, just weird to get mentioned there like it did, check it out when ya can.