Hondo's Bar

Barbershop

JunkerSeed

I saw this one today just to kill time and was really surprised by it. If you don't leave this one smileing, I don't know what's wrong with you. Very cool movie; they got a great cast together and threw a bunch of really cool characters into a barbershop. Sure, it has a plot, the danger of losing the barbershop, and a pretty funny side-story about a bunch of guys that steal an ATM machine, but the best parts are when they just let the characters loose in the shop. This one had me laughing my ass off, really sort of captured the feeling of being in a barbershop too. It's a classic example of the characters making the movie, this plot would have sucked without such great character writing and acting. Cedric the Entertainer alone is reason to watch it.

"Fuck Jesse Jackson!"

Hah, glad to hear this one came out good - was premeiring while i took your brother to finally see Episode 2.

I was curious 'cause some older black comedies - Coming to America, Who's The Man, etc - had a lotta their highlights in barber ships, just seemed a good backdrop for the comedians to rant. This one might havta wait till its on DVD but im glad to hear it was funny; no more of this "Next Friday" and "Undercover Brother" shit.

Yeah, and it's gonna be a holiday movie, if you can believe that. I've never been a big Ice Cube fan (as an actor, anyway), but I admit that this one looks really well done. It does remind me of just a feature length version of one of the scenes from Coming to America - except with much younger characters, of course. I'll hafta see this one, sometimes. (reminds me, though, I need to go put some Coming to America quotes in the movie quotes thread...)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see Red Dragon and it was sold out. Did want to wait over an hour for the next screening, so after balancing my options careful, I decided to see Barbershop, a decision entirely swayed by Junker's recommendation. Without it, I almost definitely wouldn't have seen it. Great movie. Completely agree about the character driven story. The ATM side story was very slapsticky, and could have easily come off as stupid, but wasn't. Perfect blend of humor and heart for a comedy. *spoiler, please highlight* My friend I saw it with complained about how the Big African guy didn't get with the Apple Juice girl, but I figured he did, they just left it to the imagination because that woulda been to sappy.[ *end of spoiler* At the beginning, I thought that alot of the characters (especially the white guy) would be really one-demensional, just stereotypes or cliches to supply material for jokes, but lots of the characters were nicely developement. Very cool movie. :approve: