Hondo's Bar

Miyazaki: iPad Use 'Disgusting,' "Masturbation-Like'

Lycaon

Hayao Miyazaki: iPad Use 'Disgusting,' "Masturbation-Like'

First Posted: 07-12-10 02:47 PM | Updated: 07-13-10 09:50 AM

Filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki, known for animated cinematic greats like Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and Howl's Moving Castle , is no fan of Apple's "magical" new iPad--or gadgets in general.

According to Kotaku, Miyazaki compared iPad use to masturbation in a recent interview with a Japanese publication, "Neppuu."

"For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever," Miyazaki reportedly said about the iPad, which he dubbed a "game machine-type thing" that people use by "stroking with strange gestures". "It's disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying."

It's not only the iPad Miyazaki is giving the cold shoulder: he has said that he doesn't own a computer, fax machine, or DVD player; rarely watches TV; and doesn't know how to use a video camera.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/12/h...d_n_643304.html

Found this amusing, thought I'd share.

really weird to see this article hone in on his feelings on the ipad; far as i know, its well-known he's a Luddite. i was surprised to see Studio Ghibli working on a game, but i imagine he's got nothing to do with it - man's a genius, no doubt, but his social/spiritual beliefs are pretty strong, i wanna say he's said far worse about video games and most other electronic tech.

Archived