Hondo's Bar

Planescape: Torment

The NZA

gotyk.jpg

for years, said to be the best writing to grace an RPG - bishopcruz has pushed this one for a while now, and id not gotten to into it due to only having access from sen's laptop, but now the magic of DD finally brings it back:

We all knew this day would come eventually and here it is. One of the greatest games of all time and a true cult classic, Planescape: Torment is here, exclusively on GOG.com!

In case you somehow haven't yet heard of Planescape: Torment, it's only one of the most famous cRPGs out there. What sets it apart from most other RPGs is that it's extremely story-driven, meaning you can solve most problems through talking, if you wish, and will only rarely be required to get violent. Of course you can opt to bulldoze your way through the story, too. With tons of great dialogue, vivid and memorable characters, superb music and an absolutely enthralling story set in the acclaimed Planescape multiverse, you can expect a gaming experience that you will never forget. Did we mention the script was 5000 pages long? Planescape: Torment is simply the "god tier" of role-playing games and you're a fan of the genre, then it is your duty to play it!

Included: manual (50 pages) + 2 HD wallpapers + soundtrack + 16 avatars + 104 artworks + Chris Avellone and Colin McComb book

And no DRM. All this at 9,99 $usd.

Here are the mods, said to change a great deal of dialogue/gameplay. graphics alone go from this:

planescapetorment.jpg

to this:

pstr.jpg

I'm looking forward to my first full playthrough later this year. Anyone else going for the ride?

w7ze34.jpg

Man, back in the day my computer would not load this game after a certain point. I got about 15 hours in, loving it, and it would freeze when I tried to go through a certain door.

I assumed I had done something inexplicable that had made the game go mad, so I started it over. Froze at the same point. 3rd time I played as differently as I could, same issue.

So I've probably put about 30-35 hours on that game but didn't get very far at all. I've always meant to play it again, a graphics update is just the sort of thing I needed.

Also: GoG is BADASS!

they pulled a poorly-planned publicity stunt and pissed off a few, then came back with this and Baldur's Gate (some talk of 2 coming later). I think this puts System Shock 2 as their most requested game now...i gotta say, i was slowly merging over to PC gaming via Steam, but the platform's got room for more of these kinds of services. $10 to own something like this works for me, and its cool to be able to give it back to the devs this way...god knows i tracked down a physical copy of Grim Fandango last year that no one involved saw a penny from.

• 3 months later...

...so, after all this time, finally tied this one up. a quick exert from what id posted on another site:

with the GOG version, i encountered game-breaking problems in the clerk's ward where smaller maps id visited (shops, etc) would cause a crash with no error screen/#, just force me to exit them through win7 and try again. i was fortunate that another nice guy here on GAF had a save around the same point i was at, but even with his settings, there were lots of optional/past areas i could not visit, and was fortunate enough to be able to complete the game (even the last boss' dialogue tree offered a lockup on one particular selection).

ive never been so frustrated or spent so much time trying to make a game work...but in a roundabout way, this speaks to the quality of the writing: were it a lesser game, i swear idve just youtube'd the ending and called it a day, but i had to see it through.

absolutely fantastic experience, totally worth all the trouble.

not to mention, GOG version brought the manual, soundtrack, and artbook, making it a steal at $10, however buggy. though i shouldve added that the clunky-ass old school D&D engine is not very inviting; fortunately the game gives you ways around combat in a lotta situations, but i really shouldve read the manual first on this one. having bish break it down helped.

but here's some people saying it better than I: fellow hondonian BishopCruz highlighting it more than 5 years back, and Gamespot calling it one of the greatest games of all time.

they pulled a poorly-planned publicity stunt and pissed off a few, then came back with this and Baldur's Gate (some talk of 2 coming later). I think this puts System Shock 2 as their most requested game now...i gotta say, i was slowly merging over to PC gaming via Steam, but the platform's got room for more of these kinds of services. $10 to own something like this works for me, and its cool to be able to give it back to the devs this way...god knows i tracked down a physical copy of Grim Fandango last year that no one involved saw a penny from.

If you liked this, you should try Baldur's Gate 2.

that one is quite high in my queue as well, thanks to newtype's purchasing of it. i hear its 100+ hours or so and a lot more combat-heavy, which is kinda off-putting since the engine strikes me as dated...how do you rank the plot/characters next to this one? also, can i get away with skipping part 1 and just playing catch-up? i know stuff won't have as much of an impact as it might, but even with mods to make it play like part 2, i dont hear many people praising it nearly as much as the sequel, hard to justify a 100 or so hour prequel to the main event.

awesome. im thinking of mebbe playing a horror title next - either Amnesia or System Shock 2 - but you just bumped BG2 a few notches in my queue. im sure knowing a bit more of how the infinity engine works now will help as well.

also, i think you'd really dig this one if you ever get a chance; again, its $10 on GOG.com (was $5 around the holidays, likely will be again i imagine), if you're interested.

Good Old Games - you might like them, they're cheap and no DRM so you totally own the game you buy (plus manual and other stuff they put in there). its where newt got us BG2, they apparently just put up Icewind Dale and a bunch of other classics, im thinking about Gabriel Knight later on, kinda curious @ Zork Anthology, haha.

• 8 years later...

I originally got given a copy of the game back in 2001 or so. I never made it out of the morgue.

However, later, a year or so ago, I really loved the story in the few hours I put in to the game a few years back. However, being honest, the actual combat is so janky. I doubt the Enhanced Edition or any mod's going to fix the struggle I had with that.

One I'll definitely have to return to. The closest I've got to playing a classic cRPG is Divinity: Origin Sin 2 and Tyranny.  I loved the story of the latter, but it's that Real Time With Pause system that I just can't stand to be honest. 😞

• Upvote 1