Hondo's Bar

Dead Nation

Newtype

Platform: PlayStation®3 system

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

Developer: Housemarque

Rating: "M" (Blood and Gore, Violence)

Release: November 30, 2010

From the developer of the popular and successful Super Stardust HD, comes another action packed blaster – this time the infectious gameplay is more gruesome. Taking the essence of Super Stardust HD and what makes it fun and compelling, Housemarque has thrown that into a zombie filled post-apocalyptic universe.

Sometime in the not-too-distant future, a deadly virus is once again sweeping the globe, infecting everyone in its path and killing off almost all the human race. To the horror of the survivors, the dead have begun rising from the grave, hell-bent on feeding on the living and wiping out mankind for good. But, just as it seems all is lost, a small pocket of survivors emerges, determined to take back the world from the undead.

You are one of these survivors. Armed to the teeth and totally outnumbered, you’re the last hope of discovering a cure for the virus and saving humanity. Just remember to lock, load, and aim for the brain!

Players are rewarded by score multipliers and gold orbs when zombies are killed. Gold is used to purchase and upgrade weapons and multipliers grant better metagame scores. Each time players are hit, they lose multipliers and health. The metagame allows players to follow their country's purification progress in relation to other countries as well as local leaderboards. Using the PlayStation Network, players will start off in their own country, and be grouped with other players from that country.

Players fight their way through different environments, finding checkpoints and weapon shops that allow weapon upgrading and armor swapping. During the levels players will find small loot chests that grant ammunition, multipliers, or gold as well as large chests that grant gold and armor pieces. At times the players are trapped in survival arenas where they must stay alive until they have accomplished a predefined goal. Armor sets boost strength, endurance and agility. The game has 10 levels with different environments from city streets, to a park, hospital, graveyard, harbor and a highway.

The players need to use crowd control and the environment to their advantage. This brings a tactical element to the gameplay and is a necessity in the later levels. Zombies can be attracted by flares, car alarms and vending machines. Zombie hordes will catch and spread fire if ignited. Zombies can be killed by environmental hazards like diesel barrels, fire and industrial circular saws. The players will encounter a large variety of zombies.

Players can use a melee and rush attack against zombies. Players are also issued items for crowd control that can attract or repel zombies. There are flares, grenades, mines and Molotov cocktails.

Global Zombie Infection Status Map

Track your zombie kills with the daily online world map aggregating the scores of players from all around the globe

Slaughter Zombies With Friends

Blast your way with a friend in online and offline co-operative play.

hwiyqg.jpg

2vwsqox.jpg

mtxggk.jpg

<div style="width: 480px;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=101108"/><param'>http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=101108"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=101108" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object><div style="font-size: 10px; font-family: Verdana; text-align: center; width: 480px; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px; background-color: black; height: 32px;"><div><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com" title="GameTrailers.com">Video Games</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/game/dead-nation/11906" title="Dead Nation">Dead Nation</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-dead-nation/101108" title="E3 2010: Be Scared Trailer">E3 2010: Be Scared Trailer</a></div><div style="padding-top: 3px;"><a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/" title="XBox 360">XBox 360</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/" title="PS3">Playstation 3</a> | <a style="color:#FFFFFF;" href="http://wii.gametrailers.com/" title="Wii">Nintendo Wii</a></div></div></div>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newt's expressed interest in getting it meaning I get it too, so your point's invalid. I'm just saying that, I love the hell out of SSHD, but there's a zombie version of it I believe to be called Zombie nation/apocalypse on XBLA that's more or less the same thing and has been out for about 8 months, not to mention I keep track of tidal movements by the times Baytor & I agree on things.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-syxOHFqN0k?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-syxOHFqN0k?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-syxOHFqN0k?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This old chestnut? What's Xbox exclusivity done for you lately that wasn't Halo? Kinectimals?

Let me play Fallout: New Vegas

Playstation 3 is to this generation what Xbox was to the last one, and Xbox 360 is the PS2. I back the horse that has the most games worth playing, not the more expensive/high tech one that doesn't.

Let me play Fallout: New Vegas

Playstation 3 is to this generation what Xbox was to the last one, and Xbox 360 is the PS2. I back the horse that has the most games worth playing, not the more expensive/high tech one that doesn't.

I would love whatever it is your smoking.

I'll be happy to let you play Fallout New Vegas! I finished it over a week ago on my Playstation 3, and could care less about the $10 DLC you're getting first - me, I'm waiting for the GOTY edition that comes complete with all DLC, at the same time on both consoles, for less overall spent money.

Dragon Age burned me but GOOD.

Why is this a flame war and not a discussion of one of the most anticipated PSN titles to date again?

Because, and read the words carefully and without prejudice here, NZA and Newt cannot stand the idea of PS3 dissent.

Play-through 1:

Baytor makes remark about bland nature of PSN title/ lack of interesting releases for him. He didn't even fault the system, just his lack of interest

Mal, NZA, Newt, fuck even JZA all fire back with standout exclusives for PS3, despite their lack of bearing to the convo @ hand. JZA makes similarly disparraging remark about game.

NZA makes completely o/t remark about JZA's consumer habits & LBP2

Newt posts video, assumedly showcasing unique & brilliant nature of game in question

And to quote Blargh: --The braying of farm animals ensues---

I wanna crown Mal king fanboy for his contributions to this particular thread, but NZA & Newt, with their many cries of fanboy like all the fucking time are probably the most consistent in displaying fanboy behaviour.

I'd love to pursue Baytor's line of thought comparing this gen to last because it's pretty damned astute, but here's not the place. I'm just saying that you guys need some new material or something is all. You know I hate Kirkman & have Asperger's right? Maybe there's some unploughed material there...

ugh why are we still at this

look, here's the thing: sony came stupid into this gen, and i totally get holding their nuts to the fire for it. i really, really do; it's paid off in spades for us as gamers (PSN wouldn't be nearly the product it is if XBL didnt kick its ass so thoroughly, etc), but 2010? the PS3 is almost the same price, still has upcoming/current released exclusives, and ports aren't shitty anymore for the most part.

baytor, as example, id wager he'd be all up ons at least trying Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, several others - dude's a pretty open-minded gamer. he'd not really know this without owning/playing the system is all...so no, i dont have stock in sony or weep gently when it's trash-talked, but as a gamer, writing off a platform with all kinds of quality (before we even get to the bastion of PSN titles...XBLA has a wider, overall better catalog but im so glad to have both personally)...just kinda makes me sad. i mean, with your xbox-1 example? i wrote that shit off last gen, and im still catching up on quality shit i missed out on for "LOL XBOX" ignorant shit, same deal. likewise with handhelds this gen.

i dont have a dog in this race at this point, though. i'm all about the Steam sale going on right now more than anything.

Well Newt's buying it meaning we both get it anyways, right?

I don't think anyone's dismissing the damned system anyways, if anything's being dismissed is the game which, as with anything else I can get for free(demo wise or whatevs) I'll check out, but unless it grips and compells me, I'll play it's 360 equivalent.

Last o/t remark(I hope)- PS3's biggest fault is the old lack of demos thing, because christ knows I've bought some shit I regret off XBLA based entirely on demo.

Qualify that with a time zone and whether or not you adhere to DST... wait, we're back on standard, so even those crazy places that don't do DST have the same time.

11pm for me which I think is about 8pm you.

baytor, as example, id wager he'd be all up ons at least trying Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, several others - dude's a pretty open-minded gamer. he'd not really know this without owning/playing the system is all...so no, i dont have stock in sony or weep gently when it's trash-talked, but as a gamer, writing off a platform with all kinds of quality (before we even get to the bastion of PSN titles...XBLA has a wider, overall better catalog but im so glad to have both personally)...just kinda makes me sad.

Thank you for nailing the main reason.

NZA: Want to try for co-op next week on Thursday around 11pm?

JZA - yeah, lack of demos kept me from buying lots of shit. i hear it's cause MS makes $ off the XBL gold subs that they host/demand demos. every game without one is a fuckin' shame, agreed.

newts - next thurs 11p, all in. Pac-Man CE DX is bought, help yourself to a copy. id tell gunsmith but his taste is poor, i forget who else here has a slot of mine? anyway, lighting candles, downing booze & playing this motherfucker.

There are at least 10, maybe even 20 Playstation 3 games I would fucking love to play, and it would more than validate my need for a Blu Ray player if I could play God of War 3, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Resistance, that pixelated Zelda thing, the remakes of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian, Heavy Rain, and a few others.

This just like how I really wanted to play Halo, Armed and Dangerous, Jade Empire, and a parade of other Xbox titles back in the day but ultimately opted out because it was expensive and a handful of games just didn't validate the cost of the machinery.

However, I have my Xbox 360, which plays the vast majority of games I want to play for the PS3, not to mention I get swanky shit like DLC for Fallout 3, and a handful of kickass exclusives of my own. Not to mention it costs a lot less, even if it doesn't play Blurays. For the gamer that likes, you know, games and shit it's a smarter buy. It's also worth note that I own neither Gears of War nor Halo and I was an avid supporter of the PS2 and PS1 so don't go down the fanboy path. Sony dropped the ball in a bag way this go-round and I've taken my business elsewhere, they still have a ways to go before I'll bring it back (unless of course I just make a shit load of money.)

As for this game, it looks like a shitty Hunters: The Reckoning clone (which was in itself, a terrible fucking game.) Top-down hack-n-slashes haven't been fun since Gauntlet (or Diablo, but that's kind of a different thing) and this looks like a swanky freeware game at best. If this is hoping to be PS3's answer to Dead Rising... well, that's just endearingly retarded.

Your argument was valid years ago. We have the fallout 3 dlc, we have dead rising 2, if not the original. You can buy a 160 GB PS3 for the same price now that was paid for the xbox 360 arcade for several years following its launch. It may simply be ignorance on my part, but I can name several studios that have been producing titles exclusively for sony's platforms, where I can only name Bungie for Microsoft.

You're speaking the idea of an inferior investment, where it's currently an alternative investment. It was certainly inferior at launch, but things have changed in the intervening years.

Archived