Hondo's Bar

Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain

The NZA

source

We all knew it was coming, but now series creator Hideo Kojima has blown the lid off the forthcoming entry in his espionage franchise, Metal Gear Solid 5.

In the latest issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine UK, Kojima opens up on his plans for the "past, present, and future of Metal Gear Solid," which includes details on MGS5, as well as Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Does MGS5 feature Solid Snake​? Old Snake? An entirely new protagonist? You'll be able to find out what exactly Kojima has planned for Metal Gear Solid 5 when the magazine hits at the end of this month.

OPM UK:

Some mammoth news to end this otherwise dreary Wednesday. For the first time in the 16-year history of Official PlayStation Magazine, we’re putting a developer on the cover. Issue 65 will be fronted by Metal Gear Solid creator and gaming legend Hideo Kojima.

A fortnight ago reviews editor Joel Gregory flew to Tokyo to spend a full day shadowing the man who has repeatedly reinvented stealth action over the past two decades. Now, in his most candid ever interview, Kojima reflects on his entire body of work – and gives some almighty teases regarding life after Metal Gear.

As part of our world exclusive chat and photo shoot, he also gives his open and frank opinions on Metal Gear Solid Rising – the first PlayStation MGS he’s neither written nor directed – and openly discusses his plans for Metal Gear Solid 5 and Project Ogre for the first time.

Most startlingly of all, he explains why he’s spent the last decade trying to kill off his leading man, Solid Snake.

plt65.ag_event.65coveyievy.jpg

bs07P.jpg

You know, as much as I love me my Metal Gears, I always wanted Kojima to be able to explore creative ideas on new IPs and other systems. Nothing is worst for a creator than being bogged down and forced into pouring all of your creative juices into one thing over and over.

Forced being the operative word.

I'm onto you Kojima. You could have walked away from Metal Gear. You keep making Metal Gear games because you love it. You're not fooling anyone!

While I would love to see you try your hat at something new (which we are apparently getting in the form of this Project Ogre, and the FOX engine, which looks amazing!!) I will still support you in all your Metal Gear efforts. As long as you love making them, I will love playing them!

Oh a related note, while many of you have been playing your Skyrims and Dark Souls and Zeldas, I've been playing some Metal Gear HD collection! Just finished first play through of MGS2, which I hadn't played since Substance, and while I remember it as being the weakest in the series, I loved the hell out of it all over again. I can't wait to play 3 again, and Peace Walker is going to be a real treat as I never even got to play that one!!

REDIRECTING THAT BOO TO JOURNALISM.

http://www.giantbomb...lse-alarm/3819/

“I think we’ll probably have to make it [MGS5] at some point' date=' but what that will be, we have no idea,” he reportedly said. “As far as my involvement in the project is concerned, [it'] probably won’t be as much as it was with MGS1--maybe I can do just one stage! For MGS1 I made the maps myself, laid out the enemy routes myself, did everything hands-on--that level I can’t do again.”

(though really, this Patrick guy is being nothing but class about it)

Edited by Maldron

So we're just gonna gloss over the fact that not only is MGS5 not announced, but Kojima said should such a thing exist he'd only work on a single stage?

And of course I'm gonna hate on the guy for going back on his "i'm gonna work on other not MGS things" plan. Fucker has other good ideas, and I have no desire to see where he'd go with it after four.

you know, 3 is still my favorite, and i recall it being the one he had the least to do with. +1 to wanting to see him do whatever konami allows (haha) and let someone else take a shot at it, i recall the main guy on 3 left for bungie or something though.

Magazine is out to UK subscribers, I'm lookin at it now. There is no exciting or new info here whatsoever, but I'll bullet point what IS said.

- MGS5 will happen 'at some point' but he doesn't know what that will be. Says he won't be as involved as in MGS1, he then jokes about maybe designing one stage for MGS5. Magazine jumps to conclusion and theorises that he'll be back to direct MGS5. That's literally it.

- Project Ogre will take a long time, is a 'subdued experience', looks similar to his past projects on the surface, but is actually very different.

- Literally nothing we don't already know about Rising. Says it's moving forward, is different from MGS as we know it.

- MGS1 is his favourite, he wouldn't change a thing about it, a perfect game for that era. A remake is wanted by people, but as a creator he's not really interested in going back. A total remake from the ground up could be on the cards for the future.

- Not much about MGS2, he considered a 3D camera for the HD port, but it 'threw [the experience] off balance."

- Not much about MGS3 either, says it was the easiest to remaster, but the controls have aged a little.

- Seems a little regretful of MGS4 but learnt a lot from it, "didn't achieve all we wanted", "pushed graphics rather than other things". "It became like a movie-game". He wanted to "represent things you can't normally see", for example if "water spills on the grass and maybe a flower would grow and pop out of it". Seems like it originally had a much wider ambition to its gameplay.

- Peace Walker is the game it was meant to be in HD. Not much else.

- Snake was meant to die in MGS4, but the staff wanted him to live. "I caved a little".

Sorry guys but that really is everything. It's a scant interview with a few giant pics, a bit about his Twitter and a lot of padding by the magazine itself.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

x5wvD.jpg

snake.jpg

gamespot:

The scene starts in a remote military base with heavy rain. The camera is following a shadowy figure in a business suit and hat accompanied by a number of well-armed soldiers and guard dogs as he converses with a little boy in a cage. He throws a portable music player after some dialogue and the boy proceeded to use it. The rest of the scene was playing "Here's To You" from the film "Sacco e Vanzetti" (also on Metal Gear Solid 4) as the man in a coat rides off to an airfield before taking off on a helicopter to an undisclosed location. Before erasing the "XOF" emblem off of the helicopter, he took out his hat and speaks about what transpired in very vague words. His face and head was all burned-up and scarred with no hair; at this point in time, we have no idea who he is. He proceeded to toss away all a stash of mini "XOF" emblems as he flew off with the rest of the soldiers.

[....]

Series creator Hideo Kojima then took centrestage and showed off the title's gameplay for a few minutes. We see Snake do what he does best: go in a prone state and sneak around (no Octocam this time; just old-fashioned crawling and hiding), as well as going into aiming mode in third person shooting a nearby guard at a security post. We should also mention that the demo gave out a sandbox open-world vibe; the military base itself felt expansive and huge, and Snake can summon a helicopter to bring him around as well as drive a jeep to go from point A to B. Kojima did state that he wishes to add a new spin to the stealth genre; even when you're discovered, you can use all the means and tools to escape rather than see a "game over" screen.

Open-world (ish), Big Boss (possibly the rise of Grey Fox?), running on PC. already looks better than 4 to me!

Edited by axel_napalm

Big Boss again? What's this, the 4th time we are playing as him (does Portable Ops count?)? It makes me sad that Solid Snake is now only an ancilliary character in this series. His damn name is in the title yet we arguably only got to play as him in one entry.

Sorry, re-playing MGS4 for trophies so soon after the HD collection has made me realize how weak and ultimately unsatisfying that entry was....

PS NZ, I belive its Ground Zeroes, plural.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Portable Ops may or may not be retconned (i hope the null/grey fox bit was...), Peace Walker all but replaced it i wanna say?

the only reason im okay with this pushing the big boss saga is

we still need one more chapter to establish him training Yeager, and building Outer Heaven - PO+ and PW saw the army built, but there's gotta be something between that and MG1. i think it'd be amazing if late chapters showed Fox training a young Solid Snake, too

i forgot how hyped MGS trailers can get me, damn i want that game now.

if its anything like the footage from 4 though, i shouldnt expect so much detail in the final product.

edit: also this

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima showed interest in making a new game in his stealth action series starring The Boss i.e. the mentor of Solid Snake's dad.

When asked at his PAX Prime presentation if he'd like to make more spin-offs about other characters besides Raiden in the upcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, he said, "I'm not a huge fan of spin-offs, so it's hard to say at this point," but added, "We've talked previously about a game featuring The Boss as a main character. This is something I'd really love to make."

The Boss is often touted as being one of the strongest female characters in gaming, and it would be nice to see a "hardcore" game star a middle-aged woman. Based on the applause from the audience at the idea, it seems plenty of others would agree. He said if he makes this, it will be part of the main series and not a spin-off ala the upcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Regarding Platinum Games' spin-off, he expressed interest in turning that into a full series. "If it works out well, I really would like to work with Platinum games on a sequel," he said.

• 3 months later...

9d78i2st.gif

@geoffkeighley 8:12 PM

Thanks for all the VGA feedback. The Phantom Pain is an a completely game, nothing that has been shown before. I assure you of that.

So we have:

- Continued play on "phantom", where "Two Phantoms were born" stands as the tagline for Ground Zeroes' first concept material.

- Volgin lookalike wreathed in flames.

- Hallucinating petals straight from MGS3's climax.

- Floating figure with audible breaths muffled by mask, ala Psycho Mantis.

- Similar facial scars between in-game model and Snake concept art for Ground Zeroes.

- That fucking mullet.

- Joakim Mogren, where Joakim is an anagram for Kojima.

xlarge.jpg

alt-noscale.jpg

2lit3.jpg

phantompain530.jpg

jQV8v.jpg

Metal-Gear-Solid-3-shot-04.jpgmgs.jpg

666666666l1dlc.png

yIfMn.png

trailer's apparently tricky to find in decent quality online, will post when i see a good one. meanwhile...Paz?

PsychoMantis.jpg

• 3 months later...