Hondo's Bar

Favorite Album(s) 2012

sinestetici

2012 was a fantastic year for music, and I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite albums are. I'll start!

1. Clark - Iradelphic (Just amazing. Etheral. Lovely.)

2. Alex Clare - The Lateness of the Hour (Diplo was the producer. And this is pop music at it's finest, as far as I'm concerned)

3 Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (The first single he released from the album brought me to tears, and while I'm not a *huge* hip hop fan - this was simply outstanding.

4. Com Truise - In Decay (Just a great album from start to finish. It's one of those albums that sounds better if you listen to the whole thing as one long song. He's a master at blending tracks and bleeding them into one another)

5. Fionna Apple - The Idler Wheel (I...just don't have words. She's probably the best female song writer of my generation. And her voice just gets more powerful and iridescent with age)

6. Grimes - Vision (2012 saw an insurgence of lovely electrionic female artists. I think this is probably the best of the bunch, but it was a toss up between this and my 7th choice. I picked Grimes because when I saw her live, it inspired me a lot)

7. Braids - Native Speaker (Was actually released 2011, but I;m including it here. I didn't music could be so sweet)

8. Burial - Kindred (Just an EP, but wow...did it make an impact. If you sincerely hate most dubstep, you should give this a shot. It might change your mind a bit

9. Four Tet - Pink (I wasn't super impressed the first time I saw this, but wow - the second and third times and every time after just blew me away.)

10 - Julia Holter - Ekstasis (I should have put this higher, because each time I listen to it, it just gets better. You all....will probably hate it. But it's got such an old school IDM vibe. I love it)

Edited by sinestetici

In no real particular order.

Caspian - Walkng Season (Lovely post rock)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascent! (As above)

Beach House - Bloom (A superb follow up to Teen Dream)

Manual - Awash (A great release from one of my favorite dream pop bands)

Aesop Rock - Skelethon (Not his best, but still far above most hip hop out there)

The Shins - Port Of Morrow (Everyone should listen to this)

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben (Top notch stuff from one of the oddest bands out there)

The Herbaliser - There Were Seven (Moar hip hop goodness)

Maserati - Maserati VII (Bat shit mental prog rock)

Hammock - Departure Songs (2cd's of ambient goodness)

• Upvote 1

KendrickGKMC.jpg

Nas' Life is Good damn near took it, but this album...lyrically, production etc its all on point, and thematically to boot, which we haven't really seen much of in years. Kendrick Lamar really brought it here.

Man with the Iron Fists OST, Killer Mike's R.A.P. music and several others took top 5, but none reached this one's height.

ps don't sweat it sin; Channel Orange is a great album but it's R&B so you're in the clear :2T:

Music albums get harder and harder for me to list each year b/c it's becoming increasingly rare that I listen to an entire album. Also, I'm behind the curve w/ a lot of bands, so some of my favorite albums from this year were released in 2011 or years prior; the album that got the most play for me this year was released in 2010, Meschiya Lake & The Little Bighorns - Lucky Devil. So w/ that in mind, here are mine:

1. Langhorne Slim - The Way We Move

2. Beasts of the Southern Wild - Soundtrack

3. Old Crow Medicine Show - Carry Me Back

4. Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

5. Fun. - Some Nights

6. Carolina Chocolate Drops – Leaving Eden

7. ZZ Top - La Futura

8. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Americana

Albums I discovered in 2012, and loved, but weren't released in 2012:

Meschiya Lake & The Little Bighorns - Lucky Devil

I love this album so much I bought the actual physical CD. The only tangible music purchase I made all year. The album is mostly covers of songs from the 1920s & ‘30s, and it’s full of raw emotion and exuberance throughout. Anyone of these tracks would be at home on HBO’s Boardwalk Empire.

Once - Film Soundtrack

Swell Season

I vaguely remember hearing about Once during the Oscar buzz, but I never saw the film or heard the music until this year. I read about the film being turned in to a musical and that got me curious. Glan Hansard got so much play on my iPod that by the time he released his solo album, Rhythm & Repose, in 2012 I was already wore out on him. I couldn't even bring myself to put it in my top 10 b/c I listened to the whole album only twice at most.

Sweet & Lowdown - Film Soundtrack

Django Reinhardt - Best Of collections

I finally got around to watching this Woody Allen classic this year, and the soundtrack was filled with great jazz guitar numbers that led me to discovering Django R.

Richard Thompson - Sweet Warrior and Best of album

The show Sons of Anarchy is directly responsible for turning me on to this guy. He's apparently been around for ages, but "'Dad's Gonna Kill Me," from Sweet Warrior was the first song of his I heard and it led to me getting his best of album, which is really great.

Doomtree – No Kings

Doomtree - Doomtree

Paper Tiger

Lazerbeak

If you’ve never heard of them, maybe a good way to describe them would be a Mid-West Wu-Tang Clan with two producers (Paper Tiger & Lazerbeak) instead of one. They’re not similar to Wu in sound, but Doomtree is a collective of MCs that all have distinct flows and have done a lot of solo work and collaborations apart from Doomtree. I DL’d all their stuff and loved the majority of it, especially the instrumental albums/EPs by Paper Tiger. Start with the album No Kings though, as that’s a great intro to them and is solid throughout.

Other new music I dug in 2012:

2012 was a surreal year in music for me b/c whenever I clicked on Amazon to check out new releases I’d get déjà vu—it was like I was back in my college dorm. No Doubt, Soul Asylum, Everclear, Big Wreck, Ben Folds Five, Norah Jones, Fiona Apple, and Garbage all put out new albums that had some really good stuff. Regina Spektor also put out a new album that had some great tracks.