Hondo's Bar

HE-MAN and the Masters Of The Universe

Benz

Seems DC's partnered with Mattel while I was in a cave somewheres and now He-Man's in comic form (Again I believe?)

From the looks of it, everyone's got an origin story (wonder how it will differ from the original/ or more detailed 200x series) including Evil-Lyn and Trap-Jaw. I've seen a few pictures. He-Man's sword is back to the original, while He-Man himself, Skeletor and the whole crew look bad-assified.

HE-MAN_MOTU_Cv1-asmxfrt72r.jpg

Awesome. Also, apparently He-Man will be coming to Earth and interacting with the DC Universe. Read that sentence again. Skeletor and Joker, Superman Batman AND He-Man. She-Ra Teela AND Wonder Woman. I've just died and gone to Eternia.

• 3 weeks later...

20130131111808144_0001.jpg

Cover of the origin of He-Man issue. So far, I'm not at all disappointed. It's renewed my fanaticism for He-Man, really. I've been watching my new 30th anniversary collection of episodes lately, and I've loved it. Little nuggets of info / story I missed because I was so young. Adam's mama is from Earth, The right thing isn't always easy, don't take magic potions from strangers, etc.

The artwork is gorgeous. (Hence my new avatar choice) I think they've brought He-Man to the modern world in all the right ways (Still currently on Eternia). Blood, Teela uses vulgarities,

Evil-lyn sleeps with some guy to get something for Skeletor

Skeletor's initial plot? Amazing. Brilliant. Masterful. Genius! Oh, and there's blood too. The He-Man I remember didn't have that. This looks amazing.

Oh, and Adora's back too!

• 3 weeks later...

Read the Origin of Hordak among others while Aarty and I visited one of our favorite haunts here, Newbury Comics. Damn. They're doing so much right with the reboot.

Zodac and Hordak are brothers? Damn. Hordak becomes a demi-god by killing and absorbing the Horde race (except I'm assuming his buddy characters) and Zodac's troops, then he absorbs Zodac as the final "sacrifice" as he rejects him. Well written. I'd like to see Zodac back in a future issue, but he never really did much in He-Man except serve as a "watcher" type character.

Aarty made a good point while I stood there, comic in hand, debating whether to purchase it or buy the digital version. What to pass on when we have kids? So I'm opting to wait for the graphic novels. And probably purchase the digital versions of what's not available in Graphic Novel form.

Picked up origin of Hordak, pretty much agree with everything Benz has to say on it. I really like how they are handling a lot of the reboot stuff, I just hope they decide to keep the original lovecraftian influence inside the reboot. It's part of what made the original series so fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, Bindy! I picked up the TPB/ Graphic Novel today. It covers the initial plot, and has an issue that was previously digital only. I love the artwork, I can't say that enough. It's incredible. The writers and artists seem to have taken He-Man to the next level! My mind? Blown.

Huge spoiler:

THE SORCERESS IS DEAD?! Shit, I did not see that coming. Yet Zoar (The name of the Sorceress in bird form) lives?! More to this than meets the eye, and I love it!

The re-introductions of some of Skeletor's henchmen are pretty perfect. Beast-Man, Trap Jaw, Evil-Lyn.

Teela's blonde? Also, Sorceress's name is Teela-Na. So that's where she got her name from. Oh, and Skeletor is He-Man's uncle?! I don't remember that. Probably new or extremely obscure. I could see that working though.

I can't wait for the next graphic novel and comics!

Saw a picture of the cover of this week's He-Man issue. Looks like he's got new battle armor and a new sword. Looks cool but I have mixed feelings. If it's permanent, it could grow on me. But part of me hopes it's not because He-Man's classic look is internationally recognizable. It's the look he's always had. Same with the sword. The same magic sword he held aloft back in 1983 and said... (C'mon kids, you know the words)

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow's DC Universe Vs. Master of the Universe #1. Skeletor comes to Earth. On a scale of 1-10 of how screwed Superman is vs. Skeletor I'd say about 50. Especially If you've been reading along and now have a greater appreciation for just how powerful Skeletor really is.

• 1 year later...