Hondo's Bar

No Man's Sky

Keth

It's gotten very little playtime since SFV and Destiny on PS4 showed up at our place.

...I can see why people are upset. This is going to go down in video game history as one of the larger blunders of all time. The sad part is that it's going to reflect the indy game development space more than it does the larger companies trying to make sure a product gets out the door.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So if this is a duplicate thread I apologize, I searched and couldn't find an old NMS thread to update.

I know many aren't paying attention anymore but No Man's Sky got its 2.0 update today titled "BEYOND"

Last year at the 2 year anniversary we got No Man's Sky NEXT which finally brought real multiplayer (4 player co-op) to the game along with a lot of quality of life improvements. Prior to that we had received some basic base building as well as exo-vehicles for traversing planetary surfaces outside our space ships and expansion to the frigate system.

Since then base building has been expanded, environmental variation has been improved and new story elements have been added.

As of 2.0 we are getting full VR support with many of the game's fundemental controls reworked to feel VR native rather than just slapping a VR interface onto the existing game. The VR clients are not sectioned off and can play with non-vr players in multiplayer. Changes to the scale of vehicles across the board to make VR feel more immersive carry over to standard play as well. Many of the disperate activities and systems that were just "things you could do" are not part of a more cohesive overlapping whole and are fleshed out. Base building is getting a power system along with logic circuits for building your own things. We're also getting industrial base buildings we can use to construct resource gather outposts. Multiplayer has been upgraded to up to 32 players in an instance. An existing spacial anomaly that's part of the story has been upgraded to be summon-able once you discover it, bringing it to your location in space and in it is now an up to 16 player social hub for organizing group play with people you didn't start grouped with. Performance improvements and optimization across the board, a move from OpenGL to Vulkan on PC. Expansions to the exploration system including full on cartography, Expansions to farming to include animals and more variety of plants. There are mechanics overhauls all over the place, more susinct and clear tech progression, blue prints are learned on finding an object of the type rather than having to do a seperate gathering and research system. The list keeps going. Most notably however, you can now sit in chairs.

https://www.nomanssky.com/beyond-update/

• Really Like 1

I'm a true believer in this game - got the original release running on my potato of a computer when it came out - building a new system currently and that's going to be one of the first things I test the rig on. I think it's going to be amazing when all is said and done.

Edit: Shit, especially the VR stuff. I'm getting a headset just for this game.

Edited by Stilly

Im excited to try Beyond. I really liked the last big update when I jumped back in for a bit. Im hoping for more fauna variations over floral. But just more planet varieties in general are welcome. I wish they would add more quality of life stuff like faster farming or something. I get its supposed to be immersive, but farming to supply your farming equipment gets old. Any tips on that front that may have been added? I know there are a few gadgets that help make that less of a pain. Either way Imma jump on this later and give it another go.

So farming got an overhaul, there are now actual harvestable crops in the world beyond just the sodium and oxygen and di-hydrogen plants. Eating them can give you temporary boosts to your Exosuit. You can make better recipes though once you get a Nutrition Processor which lets you "cook". I don't know all the details but I know larger scale farms is much more doable and there are industrial buildings for automating farming and resource collection that I believe you can link up into portal networks for supply basis (though that's speculation from a screenshot, not experience or reading)

I do know that the grind of things is significantly faster though for a few reasons.

1. Sentry patrols are now actual "patrols" rather than camping the same areas and there are fewer of them.
2. Mining laser overhaul so it heats up slower, doesn't auto reset its heat when releasing trigger but having higher yield/damage when near peak heat.

3. Larger yields from most deposits so you don't tend to need to mine/harvest as many things for the same amount of stuff..

• Like 1

Last year after NEXT It was enjoyable/goodish, as of BEYOND its just solidly good. However, if you're watning to jump in for the first time I recommend giving it a week or two for the hotfixes to come out. Any major feature update like this (regardless of game) is going to have some signficiant bugs and I wouldn't want you soured on the game because of crashes or weirdness.

Mounting animals is possible by scanning them to identify their diet which tells you the bait they eat. From there you need to make that bait in a nutrition processor. Then you just toss out the bait and tame them and mount.

Food Pellets will attract animals generally but won't let you tame them, just make them curious about you/like you.

Edited by Lipala