Hondo's Bar

The Muppets

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been to that 'Pizza Planet' restaurant while it existed.

Totally generic, underwhelming and just like any other quickie 'Pizza Hut' - w/ a small section dedicated to a 'games area'. Total missed opportunity to make it a Pixar / Space-themed thing. Glad it's gone. Haven't been back to WDW in the last 2 years to check out the new 'Rizzo's' - but totally gonna.

A Muppet version of 'The Great Movie Ride...eh. I think the Muppet-Vision 3D concept is brilliant: a vaudeville / theater experience, w/ animatronics...maybe add live-puppetry and like those practical effects like water, wind...push that kinda experience at a 'Muppet Land'.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa. This dude is an 'Atlanta local' - he regularly frequents (along w/ a few other puppeteers) the Puppet Museum over here. Jim Henson personally 'handed' him Kermit. This is...kinda heart-breaking.

I have no idea what happened or why Whitmire got sacked - but if even the Henson kids wanted him out...whoa. Gonna do sum 'googlin'.

I done googled this and apparently his claims of being the 'standard bearer' of the Henson legacy are pretty over blown. Apparently it was Brian Henson that picked him to take up the mantle, and the Henson kids are on board with his ousting. Apparently he's kind of a jerk and continually made some pretty ridiculous demands. Again, just did a cursory googling, but as usual seems to be two sides to the story...

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently it was Brian Henson that picked him to take up the mantle, and the Henson kids are on board with his ousting.

Ah.

Yeah, in my 'at a glace' googlin' over a conversation a few days ago - it seems he's been talking a lot of smack about the direction Disney has been taking the Muppets...to the point where he's become difficult and a bit of a curmudgeon - and it began to reflect in his 'Kermit' performances. I feel for the guy - but....

(shrugs) Ah dunno - that latest Muppet tv show wasn't like, the next best thing since sliced bread, but...it ain't the 'Henson days' anymore. I get the frustration - but, oy: Disney bought the shit - they're the boss. If ya ain't onboard full-heartedly, best if ya just part ways. I miss the ol' days, too - luckily, I got all the DVDs (of what's available) and was shocked when Disney bought the Muppets, but...if ya ain't feelin' it, best ya let it go. I can see it being tough, tho - from his perspective.

Still sad - I guess Dave Goelz is the only one left performing from the ol' days...Jerry Nelson passed just a couple o' years ago. Caroll Spinney is still goin' as Big Bird...crazy how all those players are gone. Frank Oz is still around - but retired as a 'contributor' awhile ago. In a lot of ways - it just wasn't the same after Jim Henson passed.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Kermit's new performer - Matt Vogel. LOL - I'm sure there's gonna be super-hardcore fans who're gonna hate this 'new' Kermit, no matter how it's performed.

Eh. I think it sounds like Kermit. (shrugs) I just hope Disney's got sum great ideas for the Muppets.

Could be worse...I never have gotten used to Fozzie's new performer / voice change - as subtle as it is! Frank Oz has that...thing.

There appears to be 'a film' that just came out - that is basically either a series of - or just a really, really long 'round table' w/ Henson's original co-puppeteers. It's called 'Muppet Guys Talking'. I've been looking everywhere for a trailer for this - but, nothing. Just a shit-ton of press promos and stuff - sum good stuff. Anyway, I just grabbed a quick one...

Those Muppet Show / Fraggle Rock DVDs have sum invaluable docs, featurettes and behind-the-scenes material - cool to see / hear sum more backstage antics n' tid-bits...before these guys go the way of the dodo. Still looking what all this is...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those not in the know - Paul Williams was a huge contributor to Muppet-dom.  He wrote 'Rainbow Connection' and contributed to the score of the first Muppet Movie...amongst countless other stuffs in the industry.  (He's 'Penguin' in the 90s Batman cartoon!)

A tremendous talent and a troubled soul (wrestled hard w/ addiction)  His music credits are ridiculous.  Paul freakin' Williams.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

MS-FraggleRock-35th.jpgfraggle-rock-the-complete-series-post.jp

ON BLU...!!!  It dropped on Sept 25th. ?

"Get the f*ck outta the waaay!!!"

unnamed+%252812%2529.jpg

I did a bit of research on this - as this show was veeery evidentally shot on video tape.  LOL - I hoped that maybe they shot it on film and then transferred it on tape...and that we'd be getting sum sick-ass restoration as Pee-Wee's Playhouse and TNG did (recomposited fx shots...green screen elements)...but, naaaaaaw...the original masters are ALL on video tape.  ?

Still - I read they did a fantastic job 'remastering' from the 'not so optimal' sources.  Dreading it being a simple 'upscale cash-grab' from what is already on DVD - (technically, it's all you can do) - I've read Sony went all out and used sum...super-awesome super-computers and re-scanned the tapes - did sum technical conjiggerig - and 'restored' the image the best that it possibly could be.

From what I'm getting - you can STILL tell it's...'tape' - BUT, fine details - textures - are indeed a lot crisper and a depth to the image that wasn't present in any release thus far - can really be felt.  Consensus is: there is a level of 'difference' that is notable - making the DVDs obsolete.  (been searching the net for comparison shots...but, nothing.  NOTHING!)

HBO has had their hands on this 'remaster' for a bit now - and has been available for streaming on their service.  BUT, they're streaming it in a 16x9 format: which is a 'fake' widescreen...they cropped the original image.  (Fraggle Rock was shot in 4x3 - and like the current 'modern' Seinfeld being aired...it was shot in 4x3, but the top and bottom are now cut off, to be 'zoomed in' - to fit modern tvs.)

This set has them in their original 'filmed' / 'broadcast' format:  4x3 / 'boxed' - so you're getting all the visual information that was captured - and all that was intended to be seen.  The set ALSO has TONS of new docs, concept art...AND it also includes the Complete Animated Series - all for $49 dollars...

FraggleRock.jpg

My copy is already on it's way.

Muppet Show never got past a Season 3 DVD release.  Here's hoping we get the Muppet Show Complete Series on Blu!

Man, this news made my day.  RIP - and thank you, Mr. Henson. ?

rukfzvphuug32sgv2gpy.jpg

• Like 1