Hondo's Bar

The Muppets

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It was cool. It left me wanting to see more. Wish I could just watch all 13 episodes back to back. I liked the format. I chuckled a couple times. When Uncle Deadly tried to clean Kermit with that lint roller - "Skin! Skin!"

It's cool to see the Muppets back without an overload of celebrity cameos and obligatory musical numbers (ie: their latest movies - the Disney ones). Muppets in Space was their Swan Song, in my opinion. Nice balance. Totally want to see where this show goes. Thumbs up.

• 2 weeks later...

It was cool. It left me wanting to see more. Wish I could just watch all 13 episodes back to back. I liked the format. I chuckled a couple times. When Uncle Deadly tried to clean Kermit with that lint roller - "Skin! Skin!"

It's cool to see the Muppets back without an overload of celebrity cameos and obligatory musical numbers (ie: their latest movies - the Disney ones). Muppets in Space was their Swan Song, in my opinion. Nice balance. Totally want to see where this show goes. Thumbs up.

The lint roller gag was the biggest laugh for me, too. I'm not sure yet if I like the fact this is basically The Office with Muppetts. It was heavier on the melodrama than I would've liked. But I agree this is definitely interesting, and I want to see where this show goes.

• 10 months later...

I spent the day there today - totally awesome. The museum is literally just a 15-minute drive from my place. They've been having a Henson exhibit, but it's essentially now the Henson wing - huuuge! In September, they're going to convert the museum into a giant Labyrinth exhibit - for it's 30th anniversary. Didn't know where else to share all this info - (shrugs) Muppet / Henson news.

• Upvote 1

^Um. That is fucking awesome! +1 to that all day. I saw an exhibit of Henson puppets and props at a museum in Baton Rouge 8 or 9 years ago and thuroughly enjoyed it. I'm definitely gonna have to make a road trip to ATL to see that place.

I'm crashing in your guest room/on yo couch, Nemo!

I'm crashing in your guest room/on yo couch, Nemo!

257840.jpg?b64lines=WW91IGp1c3Qga2VlcApyaWdodCBvbiBkcml2aW5nLgoKCgoKCgoKCgo=

LOL! Yeah - it's really cool. Totally a stop worth making if you're in the area. They also got the world's biggest aquarium here - just a mile or 2 from the museum.

If you're gonna be in ATL, we should totally meet up n' make a day of it. You totally gotta place you can crash. (I live very modestly, btw) We can chill in our jammy-jams and stay up late watching Prometheus w/ commentary.

seth-rogan-and-james-franco-on-the-couch-in-pineapple-expressjpg.jpg

• 5 months later...

(shrugs) Dunno if this warrants it's own thread, but - hey:

" - and now...a Muppet News Flash!"

hqdefault.jpg

Muppet Babies are coming back!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/10/26/muppet-babies-series-reboot-due-2018/92771162/

Disney has started production on an updated, reimagined version of Muppet Babies, which revolves around very young versions of Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Animal and Miss Nanny. Each episode of the series, geared toward kids ages 4 to 7, will feature two 11-minute stories that follow the Muppet Babies on different adventures, such as building a time machine to flying through outer space. The stories are expected to encourage creative and critical thinking skills by promoting imaginative play.

But don't make your screening party plans too soon: The CG-animated series is slated to have its premiere on Disney Junior in early 2018.

The original
Muppet Babies
animated series ran from 1984-1991 so there is the potential for the earlier version's fans, who may have children in the target audience now, to check out the new version for sentimental reasons.

"We hope to engage and delight the nostalgic fans while also entertaining new kids, parents and diverse audiences through heart and humor as only the Muppets can deliver," Debbie McClellan, vice president of The Muppets Studio, said in a statement.

"We are proud, and a little bit giddy, to begin production on our new version of the much-loved
Muppet Babies
. Parents will delight in seeing their favorite Muppets in the mixed-animation style they remember from the original series, and kids will be introduced to this warm and zany world made just right for the Disney Junior audience," Nancy Kanter, executive vice president of original programming and general manager of Disney Junior Worldwide, said in a statement.

The new Muppet Babies is a co-production between Disney Junior, Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media's (DCPI) Content & Media group and The Muppets Studio.

muppet-babies-image-1.jpg

Holy God - if that's cg...it looks sick - it looks like real felt! I can't wait for all the inevitable adorable Muppet merch.

giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_n88zwmfK6h1qztcpf.gif

Hopefully they'll be doing what they've been doing - they mo-cap puppet performances (hands' up tuchas) n' basically apply a cg skin to the performance - n' add subtle lip articulation n' eye blinks in post.

2949a781f8e5f2d94bf35e97cc98ac4f.jpg

CS_HDPS_2007_17f-sid.jpg

To me, it's just a super-mega-version of animatronics - something that's been a part of their repertoire for decades. They applied these same principles to the Gorgs in Fraggle Rock and basically, every character in Dinosaurs (that Simpsons-rip).

86336.jpg?b64lines=IFdvdWxkIHlvdSB0dXJuIG9mZiB0aGF0CiAncm9jayBuJyByb2NrJyBtdXNpYz8h

Jim Henson himself worked 'Waldo' in that Muppet*Vision 3D ride-thingie.

hqdefault.jpg

waldo6.jpg

Got one team in charge of the head and another in charge of working the body.

737954116.jpg

(shrugs) I like the effect. 'Puppetry' exists in many, many forms. They applied the same principles to 'Where the Wild Things Are' - 'cept the cg (lip articulation and eye blinks) was applied to the actual physical-creature suits they were all shot in...which - hell yeah, I prefer - but, damn...w/ today's tech - I bet they can make foam n' felt look photo-real and w/ 'em being full cg - it really blows up the different places they can take it.

Traditional, classic, waste-up stuff absolutely works for me and is a preference - but I'd love to see today's puppeteers use today's tech to suspend disbelief that much more.

I really wanna see what the Henson Studios can do on this thing. 'Muppet Babies' itself was a completely animated cartoon - there'll be more puppetry goin' on the teaser trailer for this than what was in the original's entire run.

Yeah but this looks like a show geared specifically to small children, Muppet Babies had a very adult-oriented sense of humor that I think this will lack.

it did? man, i really should revisit it one day, i could swear i was all about it as a kid & had the happy meal toys too