Hondo's Bar

Nier Automata

Newtype

Square Enix has announced a new Nier game titled "Neir New Project (Tentative title)", the sequel to the cult game Nier.

The game will be exclusive to PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system.

It is being directed by Yosuke Saito and with development duties by Platinum Games. SE said there will be more announcements for this game from Autumn 2015.

• 4 months later...

What is Nier: Automata?

The original Nier is a very unique action RPG that struck a chord with many passionate gamers when it came out five years ago. The story revolves around the main protagonist Nier as he searches for a cure for his daughter who is infected with the Black Scrawl virus, a seemingly incurable disease.

To this day, gamers around the world still talk about Nier fondly and the soundtrack and design book are still selling so there’s clearly something special about it. If you haven’t played the original Nier, do try and track down a copy because it has one of the most memorable and emotional casts, stories, and music in recent memory.

Nier: Automata is the next game in the Nier franchise and it’s a collaboration between Square Enix and PlatinumGames. You probably recognize PlatinumGames’ distinct action style in the gameplay trailer but if you look closely, you’ll be able to spot gameplay elements from the original Nier as well. It’s still an action RPG so don’t worry if you want more RPG mechanics in the game, they’re still there!

• 7 months later...

Man I tried playing the original Nier some time ago, and something was just off putting about it. I dunno if it was the environments, or the gameplay or what. I may need to give it another go though, cause that looks pretty damn sexy.

I can probably find it cheap now yeah? To Amazon!

Nier is like c-tier adventure/hack & slash for the most part, with what felt like the lion's share of the budget thrown at one of last gen's finest OST's.

think of it like most action RPG's - the combat's a vehicle for the plot, which in this particular instance, is actually pretty good, and takes some rather interesting turns along the way. better yet, the multiple endings show the full story from different perspectives & create something unlike other games i'd played...so you can imagine having said combat handled by what looks like Platinum's best makes this next one really exciting!

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...