Hondo's Bar

Vinyl resurgence

The NZA

Verge: Vinyl sales > ad-supported streaming in 2015

According to a mid-year report released last week by the RIAA, vinyl music sales brought in almost $60 million more than ad-supported streaming services during the first half of 2015. Vinyl album and EP sales generated $221.8 million in value from January to June this year, a 52 percent year-over-year increase. Ad-supported streaming — which includes services like YouTube, Vevo, and Spotify's free version — grew too, but not as quickly: it brought in $162.7 million in revenue, a 27 percent year-over-year increase. The gap between vinyl sales and ad-supported streaming is just one piece of the music industry's increasingly complicated revenue puzzle, one that now consists of three near-equal parts: physical sales, downloads, and streaming revenue.

The industry's bigger picture hasn't changed much since the RIAA released its full 2014 report in March: increases in digital revenue are sustaining the industry in the wake of flagging CD sales. Permanent downloads are still bringing in the most money, making up 40 percent of total revenue during the year's first half. That's not going to remain the case for long: total streaming revenue has already overwhelmed the value of physical sales, and it's starting to cannibalize permanent digital sales too.

The combined proceeds from digital radio revenue, subscription services, and ad-supported streaming eclipsed $1 billion over a half-year period for the first time ever, and each of the subdivisions mentioned above grew faster than every major category save vinyl sales. And streaming's growth is only going to accelerate in the time between this report and the RIAA's next missive: Apple Music was released on the very last day of the analysis period, and it's poised to bring in millions more paying subscribers.

"The data continues to reflect the story of a business undergoing an enormous transition," said RIAA chairman and CEO Cary Sherman. "The product of music and the extraordinary roster of artists represented by today's music labels remains in high demand... at the same time, intense demand and billions of streams does not always equal fair market rates or a fair playing field. Addressing that is an essential element of fulfilling the enormous promise of today's digital marketplace."

as a vinyl-head these days, this news pleases me - still, i'm interested in seeing what is done to level the playing field for the pittance of royalties most artists are seeing on streaming revenue. Additionally, i wanna say Apple's trial on their music program ended a little while back, so i'm curious how many stayed on board as paying costumers.

• 6 months later...

oh man, 2 for 2! so awesome, that Doors one really is a treasure. how much did that pumkins one set you back? that's my favorite album of theirs, was looking for a regular one of it but that's really cool.

a buddy of mine/panch's and parttime hondonian went digital with his DJ music a while back & donated the bulk of his collection, still sorting through it!

2DOvHUj.jpg

it's really awesome stuff, mostly hip hop/R&B but i love the history of having his tag on many of the jackets, as well as him writing down RPM's for mixes, haha. i've been adding a few video game ones as well - hopefully my Streets of Rage 2 OST comes in this week, just kickstarted Hotline Miami a few days back!

Yeah - that Pumkin-set is beautiful. Got it Day One - pre-ordered that monster - 'bout $80 bucks worth of damage...but it's gorgeous.

That Doors LP was a gift from a serious collector...it's a treasure.

YEEEOOOW!!! That is a shit-load of vinyls! LOL - like, good god! I'm nowhere in that range...LOL - that is a lot of vinyls!

tumblr_lf8s4yWs6H1qa6ql2o1_500.gif

Digital is great n' easy / convenient - but, I've always preferred a physical copy. When it comes to tunes - it's all about the sound and nothing sounds like vinyl...unless...y'know....you edit it...on a program. Then it...then it could sound...like vinyl...I guess.

My vinyl collection is small but growing! My favorite recent purchases are The Strokes "Is This It," Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" and Adele's "21." Also, NZA bought me Floyd's "The Wall" for Christmas and we're waiting for the perfect time to listen to it in its entirety!

I've been on a Vinyl kick recently as well, especially since I realized that Amazon Autorip (where you automatically receive a digital copy of an album when you buy physical) also applies to most LPs! I've been picking up a lot of movie and game albums, as well as limited run pieces. I've been grabbing the Data Disc Sega series that Nick's posted above, except I actually jumped on Super Hang On (to be honest I almost passed on it too, but I gave in as I knew the gap in the spine numbering would eventually drive the collector in me mad). I'll post some pics of everything soon, but one came in yesterday that I had to post asap:

20160417_121057_zpsttlqbvzd.jpg

20160417_121318_zpsjezauatq.jpg

20160417_121526_zps7caiarfx.jpg

This is the first release in the Generations series of limited Vinyl that a company called Brain Wave is putting out. It's a 4 LP set including the complete soundtrack for BOTH the CPS-1 and CPS-2 versions of the arcade board. Beautiful presentation, with an insert with interviews with the original composers and original artwork. Can't wait to see what's next in the series.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY
  • Upvote 1

oh man! that SF one is so baller, i love the classic art inserts! kills me cause i had that vega one on an old poster with balrog, bison & sagat and i think it's at spiffytee's partent's place in lauderdale or something but it's rare as balls now, sadly. anyway i gotta check out the track listing on that!

edit - found it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of OutRun, we are delighted to present a very special vinyl edition of its timeless music. Originally released in 1986, OutRun remains one of the most recognisable arcade games ever made. At its time of release, the music, by renowned SEGA Sound Team member Hiroshi “Hiro” Kawaguchi, was a triumph of imagination and creativity. It showcased a fusion of styles and influences, all ingeniously and inexplicably condensed into the confines of an eighties arcade board. The music was so integral to the game itself, that it is now difficult to imagine OutRun – or, indeed, the history of arcade music – without the enduring charm of Hiro’s soundtrack.

The vinyl release includes the entirety of Hiro’s original OutRun, sourced directly from the 1986 arcade machine, alongside three bonus tracks drawn from the 1991 Mega Drive and 2014 Nintendo 3DS versions of the game, all of which have been carefully remastered. It is packaged in a heavyweight 425gsm matt varnished sleeve, with custom die-cut window, three interchangeable covers, traditional OBI strip and liner notes written by Hiro himself.

OutRun is available in the following editions:

• 180g mint green, clear and pink (limited edition, available exclusively from this site)
  • 180g mint green
  • 180g classic black

SIGNED EDITION

For early buyers, there will also be an extra special (limited to 50 copies) edition signed by Hiro up for grabs. Here are the rules:

1. The signed edition is identical to the limited edition, except for being signed and numbered by Hiro
  2. They will be randomly assigned to people who pre-order the limited edition within 12 hours of the first order being placed
  3. You do not need to do anything to be eligible, apart from place your order as normal
  4. The signed edition will replace your existing order (in other words, you will not receive two records for the price of one!)
  5. Any offers of hard cash, sweets, kisses or anything else in exchange for a signed edition will be ignored. The records will be randomly and fairly distributed, at no extra cost to you. We will not be swayed!
  6. One entry per person, irrespective of how many copies you buy
  7. We will not reveal the list of recipients prior to shipping - you will find out when your copy arrives!
  8. For obvious reasons, the signed editions will not be sealed in shrink wrap
  9. If you wish to opt out for whatever reason, then please email us.

TRACKLIST

A1. Magical Sound Shower (Arcade, 1986)

A2. Passing Breeze (Arcade, 1986)

A3. Splash Wave (Arcade, 1986)

A4. Last Wave (Arcade, 1986)

--------

B1. Step on Beat (Mega Drive, 1991)

B2. Cruising Line (Nintendo 3DS, 2014)

B3. Camino a Mi Amor (Nintendo 3DS, 2014)

Pre-order link.

• 1 year later...

source

Sony Music will resume pressing records for the first time in almost thirty years, when it opens a new plant in Japan’s Shizuoka Prefecture in March 2018.

As Nikkei reports, the first wave of albums lined up will be largely Japanese reissues and bigger contemporary releases, although the concerted steps taken by Sony to re-introduce its own pressing facility in the last few months augers well for expansion in this area, with the company indicating they will accept orders from outside labels.

pretty cool to see, hoping for more represses than just what we see on record store day - speaking of, i just missed Gorillaz "Demon Days" a few months back & now get to wait another 10 years on that one, i imagine.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Just picked up a completely unlabeled LP with 4 (unreleased / demo) songs by The Crystal Method. From what little I've been able to find online, it looks like there were <1000 pressed and I'm basically crapping myself about it. Just had to share.

Edited by Stillbored
Clarification

maaaaaaaaaaan

post the tracks or at least a discogs link or something, that sounds dope!

i stopped getting game OST's for the most part, this year was just Snatcher & Undertale (but i wish i had $ for Panzer Dragoon). regular stuff ive pretty much decided either anything that looks interesting at goodwill ($1 each, not guaranteed to work) and stuff at CD Trader, which is an awesome shop but it's far. still, they do $3 on almost everything and every 5th or so purchase is free, to boot!

Side A:

- Nowhere to Run (Vapor Trail) - DMX vs. TCM

- Vapor Trail - Demo? Or the Nowhere to Run remix instrumental?

Side B:

- I Think I'm Crystallized (Extended) - Garbage vs. TCM

- Ten Miles Back - From Tweekend, seems like a demo version.

Closest Discogs link I could find, but those are numbered and I just noticed that side B has the tracks reversed on mine. I'll do a double post and drop some pictures in a minute.

https://www.discogs..../release/130906

Edited by Stillbored

• 7 months later...

High Definition Vinyl Is Happening, Possibly as Early as Next Year

“High Definition Vinyl” has moved closer to a turntable near you. In 2016, a European patent filing described a way of manufacturing records that the inventors claimed would have higher audio fidelity, louder volume, and longer playing times than conventional LPs. Now, the Austrian-based startup Rebeat Innovation has received $4.8 million in funding for the initiative, founder and CEO Günter Loibl told Pitchfork. Thanks to the investment, the first “HD vinyl” albums could hit stores as early as 2019, Loibl said.

The HD vinyl process involves converting audio digitally to a 3D topographic map. Lasers are then used to inscribe the map onto the “stamper,” the part that stamps the grooves into the vinyl. According to Loibl, these methods allow for records to be made more precisely and with less loss of audio information. The results, he said, are vinyl LPs that can have up to 30 percent more playing time, 30 percent more amplitude, and overall more faithful sound reproduction. The technique would also avoid the chemicals that play a role in traditional vinyl manufacturing. Plus, the new-school HD vinyl LPs would still play on ordinary record players.

sounds like a gimmick going in (like how they did classic rock albums "in stereo" when they were recorded in mono and ended up sounding kinda funky sometimes) but unsurprising, given the medium taking off again

really, you gotta figure some companies just want folks to buy the white album again, but we'll see how it turns out 

3lsRs.jpg