Hondo's Bar

E3 2016

Newtype

Yeah Nemo, the bc stuff is one in a long line of bullshit in recent gens.

Its hard to top Zelda as game of the show. Horizon: Zero Dawn looks amazing though, and while I've never been excited for a God of War, this new one already looks fantastic. Not a whole lot this E3 though, which I was kind of relieved to see.

Wii played GC games, Wii U played Wii games...

360 played classic XBOX (sum), XBONE plays 360 games, no prob.

From what I understand, PS3 also isn't backward-compatible w/ PS2 or PSX. Ironic, in that PS2 started the whole 'backward-compatible' craze. I keep my old systems - but having to pay to play PS3 games on my PS4 - that's just straight-up greed (but yes - eye roll - makes perfect business sense).

Nintendo really gets the prize for being consistently backward-compatible since they went CD. Lookin' like I'll just wait till PS4 NEO is out and the 'standard' PS4 drops in price. Maybe by then, all the FFVII remake 'Chapters' have been released and I'll just get the 'Complete Edition' Box Set. In the meantime, I'll settle w/ a 'cheap' PS3 n' get the 3-4 exclusive titles I've been wanting forever, now. Freakin' Sony. Yuck.

Yeah - I've heard that, too. I'm pretty sure they're not going cartridge - I totally expect Wii / Wii U stuff being playable on the NUX. They've been good w/ bc - Smash Bros is huge and they're still pumping out Hyrule Warriors DLC.

NUX is comin' out in months - I wonder how all that is going to work out...Wii U had an app where you just transferred all your Wii save data, Virtual Console n' DLC stuff over to the new console. I could see them doing it again.

My reasons for going PS4 didn't make an appearance - no FFVII remake or RDR2 stuff.

FF VII HD is said to be somewhat episodic, and with most of their efforts currently on getting FF XV out the door, it's gonna be a bit. RDR2 i don't even know that we know for sure (vs being a remaster) but im sure they'll say something definitively, possibly at the end of year sony event

I did some research: PS4 ain't backward-compatible?! Ya hafta buy a digital version of the PS3 game - even if you have the physical copy?! WTF kinda shit is that? Looks like I'm gonna hafta get a PS3, too. Damn. (Glares hard at Sony, "I never did like you...")

i didn't like it much either, but the silver lining is said to be x86 hardware both the XBONE & PS4 went with being more future-proof. marrying the PS4 to the outdated cell tech in the PS3 would've been a terrible idea, sadly

but i'm confused: many games are cross-buy, meaning you get a PS4 game, you might get a code for the PS3 & Vita versions sometimes, which is cool. if you're trying to play a PS3 game on a PS4, it's likely a remaster - Last of Us, Uncharted Collection, etc - meaning it's a seperate title, often running better & bringing extras.

i believe they're trying more emulation with PS Now or whatever, but more on that later

Wii played GC games, Wii U played Wii games... 360 played classic XBOX (sum), XBONE plays 360 games, no prob. From what I understand, PS3 also isn't backward-compatible w/ PS2 or PSX. Ironic, in that PS2 started the whole 'backward-compatible' craze. I keep my old systems - but having to pay to play PS3 games on my PS4 - that's just straight-up greed (but yes - eye roll - makes perfect business sense).

ehh you're talking about different things though.

hardware emulation: the bits from the old system are literally in the new one, like the Genesis did with the Master System (which really got the ball rolling), PS2 i believe partly did this, WU does this with the Wii. early model PS3's did this too.

it's nearly 100% accurate, but there's always changes here & there in latency/etc.

software emulation - this is basically what your PC does when you use emulators: programs meant to make your current hardware act something like older hardware. by nature, there's compromises made, so for instance, the 360 played a handful of Xbox games, but some were good, and some were barely playable. because of the effort required in this, you typically only see it for the most popular games...and naturally, most companies think "why bother" if that labor can go towards a remake and actually bring in new $.

people like seeing this, but i've come to a point where if it's not hardware emulation, i don't really care...shelf space is nice, but glitch-free experiences are better, for me.

I wouldnt count on NX being BC since the big rumor is it going to cartridges again.

damn, i'm outta the loop then, that's the first ive heard of that

Yeah - I've heard that, too. I'm pretty sure they're not going cartridge - I totally expect Wii / Wii U stuff being playable on the NUX. NUX is comin' out in months

wait, what? NX was talked about for March, but it's already been pushed back

and i honestly don't know if it'll support WU, much less Wii...if we see a design without a tablet, i suppose there could be an adapter - but honestly, if the hardware's different enough, they might not. this is by far their lowest selling system, and this gen already taught them what sony & them knew: there's good $ in remaking great games few people played on your older systems.

Hope i'm wrong, but we just don't know enough yet, so i'm not banking much on it.