Hondo's Bar

The Lion King 2019

Keth

Duuude - Jungle Book. Gotta get on that - rent it or whatever...but, do it on blu! It's a total cinematic benchmark - cg / fx-wise.

Yeah - Beauty n' Beast looks like it could be teetering, falling toward the side of Malificent n' Cinderella...I haven't seen those, but w/ BnB - I'm gonna end up renting it. I'm thinking there'll be sum form of spectacle in there - hopefully, it's good.

'It's a tale as old as tiiime...'

TcnjcsC.jpg

Some live-action Disney remakes - off the bat - sound kinda...m'eh. Upcoming live-action Tinkerbell? Cruella De Vil solo-flick? But, sum - just on visual potential alone - is exciting as hell! Lion King...Jungle Book...upcoming Lil Mermaid - woooo!

Pinocchio n' Dumbo...excited for the potential on those, story-wise.

An updated spin on a mute circus-freak (considered a freak even by circus-freak standards) and an inanimate object, just come to life, who struggles w/ temptation and his 'conscience' - could end up being very powerful pieces.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So according to wiki this is the cast so far

Donald Glover as Simba

James Earl Jones as Mufasa

Billy Eichner as Timon

Seth Rogen as Pumbaa

John Oliver as Zazu

Alfre Woodard as Sarabi

John Kani as Rafiki

I'm ok with all of this. Still eager to see who plays Scar and the hyenas.

Shit, if they're bringing back James Earl Jones - might as well bring back the dude who originally did Scar. I'd say Scar was equally perfectly cast. Very unique, sinister voice.

I'm sure whoever they get - is gonna have a British accent and unavoidably be doing a pseudo-impression. I'd bet they've considered it - but I could see them not wanting it to spill into too much of a reunion...

scar-the-lion-king.jpg

Disney.jpg

Maybe, Hopkins?

AnthonyHopkins.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Donutella said:

Calling this live action feels like a stretch. I mean it's gonna be what, CG animals with real backgrounds? I don't remember humans in the Lion King so where's the "live" action? Eh. I'm not super excited about this. Feels a little superfluous.

That was exactly my question and it still doesn't appear to have been answered.

23 hours ago, Axels said:

PkMkEAd.jpg

Out of the...(counts)...14 - I recognize 6 people.  (sigh)...

...and only one stirs anything in me - James Earl Jones.

Reminds me of the Ducktales Reboot casting.  I recognized less than half of the 'names' in that casting - LOL - "Who are these people?!"

Ducktales ended up just...sounding weird.  LOL - it freakin' does.  In my opinion, it's just stunt casting...which I guess, is the ultimate point w/ these things.  The 'fun' is in the actor's 'names' - who really gives a poop if they sound right?  For someone like me, looks like I'm totally gonna miss out on that fun - I'm just gonna hear voices.

BTW - RIP, 'Benson'...89 years on Oct 24...

krowV4zf4Syl.jpg

22 hours ago, Axels said:

...that cast is already blowing the original out of the water. 

Ah dunno, to their credit - for the most part, the original was cast for their 'particular-sounding' voices - not how many Twitter followers they had.

LOL - one 'Cheech Marin' is worth a thousand 'Beyonces'.  Sorry.

The Ducktales Reboot cast 'technically' blows the old cast outta the water, too - but...I guess if you're 'in the know' - it'll just automatically work for you.

Bill Murray was the only voice actor that stood out to me in the cg Jungle Book - and Christopher Walken as King Louie.  I can recall them and they stood out as being perfectly cast.  Everyone else in that flick I'm sure had street cred...but, eh.  All ultimately just voices, to me.

23 hours ago, Donutella said:

Calling this live action feels like a stretch. I mean it's gonna be what, CG animals with real backgrounds? I don't remember humans in the Lion King so where's the "live" action? Eh. I'm not super excited about this. Feels a little superfluous.

Yeah - but it's gonna look siiiiiick.  'Jungle Book' was amaaaazing - the cg was so 'photo real'.

22 hours ago, Drifter said:

That was exactly my question and it still doesn't appear to have been answered.

This really is a whole new thing - the whole 'photo real' cg...reimagining...thing.  CG is CG, but when you say a movie is gonna be...completely 'photo real' cg, that's special.  Lego Movie's cg looks like 'photo real' figs - but on the level of 'Jungle Book'?  This - thing - is all just beginning.

Won't be surprised if a new term is invented - 'cuz yeah - this ain't live-action, but the point is to make it look like it is.  It's crazy how we're there...fx-wise...it's freakin' CRAZY!

There's gotta be a specific term for these kinda projects...:hmm:

...'rehash'?  Naw, naw, naw.

• 1 year later...

I'm super excited... But I admit tjat faltered a bit when I learned that "Be Prepared" is basically the only song from the original NOT in this one! I'd argue it's the most important one. Im hoping they are writing some new tunes for Scar, but not much can compare to what is the best villain song in a Disney movie.