Hondo's Bar

Shang-Chi

The NZA

Marvel Studio's Developing "Shang-Chi" film

Shang-Chi-Marvel-cover-1.png?itok=6SS4cK

Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel’s first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther.

• 3 years later...

So what did we think of Shang Chi? I enjoyed it, I liked Shang Chi and The Mandarin, his motives were better than most of the MCU villains. 

I do feel a little bit of cookie cuter fatigue creeping in for me though. The fighting wasn't anywhere near as revolutionary as I was hoping. I find myself being more excited for the tv shows now than the movies, maybe because they can tell more long form stories and aren't as tied to the often bland third act final battle. 

• Upvote 1

i absolutely felt something similar - the big metaphysical final fight was neat/not bad but as a kung-fu fan, i absolutely loved the more grounded bus fight, and dug the highrise ninja shit after that...could've gone for more of it

with netflix marvel gone and disney+ clearly more poised to fill in big movie gaps/etc, i'm hoping a lane is established for street level vigilante shit. hoping moon knight & the next blade scratch that itch

Yeah, Daredevil and seasons 1 of Punisher and Jessica Jones are still the peak of Marvel's output for me. Street level has always been my shit, there's a reason Daredevil, Punisher, and the more grounded Spidey and Wolverine stories are my favourites to read. 

I'm really enjoying Hawkeye as well, episode 3 is the best so far, great chase scene. I honestly have never read Moonknight, I tried reading a suggested reading order but it started with his origin and I couldn't get through it.  

• Sad 1