Hondo's Bar

Bird Box

Keth

• 5 weeks later...

so donny pushed this one (since all the memes are trying to spoil it...) and this shit was good!  still haven't seen quiet place yet, but the cast was solid & performances as well

i dug that we didn't quite get the rules down on the crazies/servants until after gary played his hand too

it also did a good job of doing the usual throwing you into the deep end but giving you the rules quick enough (without showing the monsters), the back-and-forth between scenarios is something that's pretty standard but often one of them tends to be more interesting for me & the other half drags, that wasn't the case here

just great tension/horror about and i kept thinking they did it with pushing most of the $ towards the casting but scenes like the beginning downfall & the river couldn't have been cheap either 

On 12/29/2018 at 11:43 PM, The NZA said:

so donny pushed this one (since all the memes are trying to spoil it...) and this shit was good!  still haven't seen quiet place yet, but the cast was solid & performances as well

Hide contents

i dug that we didn't quite get the rules down on the crazies/servants until after gary played his hand too.

it also did a good job of doing the usual throwing you into the deep end but giving you the rules quick enough (without showing the monsters), the back-and-forth between scenarios is something that's pretty standard but often one of them tends to be more interesting for me & the other half drags, that wasn't the case here

just great tension/horror about and i kept thinking they did it with pushing most of the $ towards the casting but scenes like the beginning downfall & the river couldn't have been cheap either 

Agreed on all accounts. I wasn't too keen on this from the trailer but after the onslaught of memes on social media I gave it a try today and was not disappointed. Yep, it's very similar to A Quiet Place in terms of premise, but not in such a way where you feel like you're seeing a copy. Also, for a suspense film that two hours long, the director did a fantastic job of pacing and editing. I was not bored once during this film. It's also the best thing Bullock's done since Gravity.

A few nitpicks are how Rel Howery (supermarket guy) is just a blatant exposition drop of a character and then dies exactly like you'd predict. I also wasn't impressed by how big of a dipshit Olympia was for letting Gary in--also, that dialogue of her confession to Malorie about how she was "soft & spoiled by love" was just cringey, classic "show don't tell' type writing. But despite all that, the fact I still was never shaken from the story is about a good a compliment as any that I can give to the director and actors for their performances.

Highlights were, except for Gary's crazy-ass POV drawings of the spirits/demons/monsters, not cring one bit I didn't get a big "REVEAL!" of them. Intercutting between the time on the river and at the house was some of the best weaving of timelines I've seen in cinema in a long time. Tom's takedown of the crazies was a great bit of action. And Malorie's breakdown near the end was damn emotional.