Hondo's Bar

Uncut Gems

The NZA

From acclaimed filmmakers Josh and Benny Safdie comes an electrifying crime thriller about Howard Ratner (Adam Sandler), a charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score. When he makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime, Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.

• 3 months later...

This has been getting so much press and the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, that I'm finally convinced I shouldn't wait for home release and that I need to go see this in the theater. We're going tomorrow, so hopefully it lives up tot the hype. Good on NZA for noting this way back in September though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, C_U_SPACECOWBOY said:

Did you ever see this Hakujin?  I'm going to try and catch this either tomorrow or Wednesday.  Good Time (the Safdie Brothers film before this) was one of the better films I saw in 2017.  I'll post with thoughts.

Yes! I saw it a few weeks ago, and it is one of those films that lives up to the hype. The character played by Sandler is just pure kinetic energy. The whole lifestyle he leads is just so fast paced and drama filled that most of the film is just one tension filled set-up after another. And the synth score is pretty mesmerizing, too. Highly recommend this one.

I never heard of the Safdie Bros. before this film, but I definitely want to catch up on their previous films having now seen Uncut Gems.