Hondo's Bar

Half-Life: Alyx - Announced

Stilly

11 hours ago, The NZA said:

wouldn't portal have made more sense here?

Each new generation of Valve games has been heralded by a Half-Life game. I'm expecting all the Source 2 tools and other such goodies to be a part of this.

Also, I think Portal would probably cause a shit ton of motion sickness.

17 hours ago, the division of joy said:

Oh the most inaccessible of all platforms too. Fuck you Gaben.

I'm not so sure about this one. It looks like it'll probably run on just about any VR type (Index, Vive, The varied Oculus, Windows Mixed Reality) system (again, just about anything you can hook up to your computer and play stuff on Steam with), and I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable to be expected to play a 2020 AAA game on at least somewhat decent hardware. 

Certainly the goal here is to sell more Index..es...Indices?...but people are freaking out about "needing a $1000+ thing to play it" when most of them probably have a PC that's vr ready, at the very least. That's just my two cents on that, though

Edited by Stilly

4 hours ago, Stilly said:

Each new generation of Valve games has been heralded by a Half-Life game. I'm expecting all the Source 2 tools and other such goodies to be a part of this.

wait, so there hasn't been a generation of valve games since...when was episode 2, '07?  that's a long ass gen! 

and portals totally worth motion sickness!

6 hours ago, The NZA said:

wait, so there hasn't been a generation of valve games since...when was episode 2, '07?  that's a long ass gen! 

and portals totally worth motion sickness!

That would be correct...ish. We've seen bits and pieces of the Source 2 engine here and there (DOTA 2 / the current CS:GO UI was actually done in Source 2 and then ported back to the Source engine), but we haven't seen a full fledged game, nor have we gotten the dev tools for the engine. 

I would imagine we'll get something from this. Valve is really good at fostering a mod community based around their tools, this keeps their engines at least somewhat relevant for a while. The Source engine was used for everything from Half-Life 2 to CS:GO (don't quote me on that being the last title that used /uses it), and has been significantly upgraded along the way. That being said, I think this is the first step out the door for what Valve is trying to be now.