Hondo's Bar

Hondo's changes for 2023

The NZA

stills talked to me a lot this year about problems our current setup has, which range from

• 20+ year old software that even with updates, may not be ideal for keeping this much information over time (ill let them get into that when so inclined)
  • we currently only have this board itself, can't do side pages anymore (yeah i know they were mostly terrible but stillll) can't use server space to upload images/etc
  • further this means no control over the backend - we can't do our own custom themes/skins, modifications have to be approved by outside entities etc

as i've said for a while now, i've basically traded off this & more for years now just to have someone else responsible for maintaining our board's software, backups and the like.  my biggest goal since like '04 was just making sure we don't lose data, but the tradeoffs have only grown

i've been wanting to stop letting these fears keep me from making big decisions these days (hence, the move!), so part of that has been giving more thought to the plans of keeping us on a private server, which stills has offered and i can also finally learn how to do if we need backups or that works easier/etc.   i know there's only a few of us regulars these days, but wanted everyone's thoughts!  it'd mean some downtime, definitely some visual changes, but overall it may be better for keeping our doors open & allowing us to do as we please while we're at it!

*edit it's also pretty cool that we're starting the year at 464k posts, closer to a half mill than ever!

On 1/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, The NZA said:

we currently only have this board itself, can't do side pages anymore (yeah i know they were mostly terrible but stillll) can't use server space to upload images/etc

I mean, we can, but it's just a pain in the ass. The snow effect that (some) people are able to see currently? I had to fucking find somewhere to upload assets for the board (like, the ability to do that was buried deep in the backend [giggity] somewheres). Then I had to basically post somewhere with that asset and figure out where it had been stored, and then just effectively hotlink to ourselves.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, The NZA said:

which stills has offered

do want to note that this will still take planning (both logistically and financially), so keep me in the loop if opinion starts swaying more in that direction.

• Thanks 1

much appreciated! when you get a chance, could you get into what you were telling me about this database being something of a ticking time bomb, and how some of these solutions (maybe other forum software etc) might avert that?

If a period of down time is required to secure our future, and afford us more control over the board in both functionality and look then it seems a justifiable trade off to me. 

We still have discord to fall back on temporarily. Maybe it might be a good idea to have a private page on discord as well for when discussing personal topics.

I also offer my services for artwork/design if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it helps with long term stability/preservation of what has been, I'm 100 percent for downtime. Just clear comms on timelines and having them posted somewhere visible for any strays who might look to come back would be useful.

I'd offer my help, but I'd be more of a hinderance than a help for anything technical or design based. I can send good vibes?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:17 AM, alive she cried said:

If a period of down time is required to secure our future, and afford us more control over the board in both functionality and look then it seems a justifiable trade off to me. 

We still have discord to fall back on temporarily. Maybe it might be a good idea to have a private page on discord as well for when discussing personal topics.

I also offer my services for artwork/design if needed.

I completely agree.

I really want to see ASC and Keth's artwork to be an integral part of what the forum will look like. That would be amazing.

• Really Like 2
  • Upvote 1