Hondo's Bar

Finding Nemo

I've loved everyone of Pixar's films, but I think we can all argee A Bug's Life was not as good as Toy Story and Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc left it in the dust, like some kind of black sheep. I was kinda hoping Finding Nemo would fall inot the category of the good three and not fall a bit short like A Bug's Life. Anyway, I think Pixar has left an reminance of moviemaking that's less than truely stellar in the dust.

Finding Nemo is top notch Pixar work. Memorable characters, great dialogue, lightning quick witted jokes, classy visual gags, good story that keep the movie moving, everything. I thought that maybe Ellen's character would get tiring, but she really didn't. She was truely quiry, not stupid. If you even remotely enjoyed any of the prior Pixar movies, Finding Nemo will pull you in and keep you there until the final credit rolls up (stick around til the end for a short cameo by another Pixar charaxcter!).

The trailers for Pixar's new movie and Disney's new movie played in front of it. Both look good. The Pixar one, The Incredibles, was strictly a teaser, but good nonetheless. The Disney one starts out looking like a boring one, but by the end shows that it has lots of funny secondary characters, and finishs up with one of the funniest trailer moments I've ever seen. Make sure you make it to the movie early enough to catch it. Download the Brother Bear trailer if you gat a chance.

Bottom line: 4 1/2 stars out of 4

Oh cool, The Incredibles is a Pixar flick? I knew it was Brad Bird's next movie, so I figured it would be with Warner Bros again, like The Iron Giant. But if it's with Pixar that's even better. I wonder how active the regular Pixar crew (John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, etc) are going to be in it.

And you're right, Brother Bear does look like it has some promise, especially if they keep the often overly-sappy Phil Collins songs to a minimum.

Edited by Silent Bob

Ehh...the trailer said 5 original songs from Phil Collins. Damn you Phil Collins! How dare you ride the Genesis train to fame and then rest on your laurels and then infest my movies with your sappy crappy songs!

Anyway, looks like Pixar films are going to come out of a yearly basis now, instead of every two years. And The Incredibles is indeed a full blown Pixar film, so the regular crew is indeed on board.

This movie was...and here's a word I don't use often, especially to describe a movie...delightful! Really, this was fantastic! I think Pixar really has topped their previous efforts, and that is one helluva compliment. The world they've shown in this movie is absolutely breathtaking. I could literally just turn the sound off and watch it for hours, just to see all the colors and movement. But it would be a shame to turn the sound off because I'd miss so much! I'd miss some of the funniest dialogue I've heard in an animated film, and some of the most hilariously original ideas I've heard in any film (like the sharks' group)! And I'd even miss Ellen trying to speak whale. I've never heard an audience laugh so loud for so long ever until that scene. If this movie doesn't win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature by a landslide, I'll be shocked. In fact, I thought it was good enough that the Academy needs to remember when they're picking their Best Picture nominees. If Beauty and the Beast could be nominated for Best Picture, a gorgeous heartwarmer like this could win it.

Dory (Ellen) speaking whale truely was a comic highlight of the movie. And when Marlin finally spoke a little whale, I was just tearing up. And Gill (Willem Dafoe, the leader fish from the aquarium)'s plan to escape from the aquarium was hilarious too. There were tons of funny parts. I'm going to hold off on declaring it the best or my favorite Pixar film yet. You feel alot differently about a movie when you've just seen it for the first time than you do years afterwards, when you've seen it several dozen times. I can pretty fairly say it's better than Toy Story 1 and A Bug's Life, but I'm still not sure which I like better, Toy Story 2 or Monsters Inc, and now Finding Nemo makes it like a three way tie. But it's a good thing that my three favorite movies are the three most recent. That means they're still in their prime. I love this movie. I will probably see it again, because I'll be willing to go see it with anyone who wants to go. "What movie you wanna see?" My answer will be 'Finding Nemo.'

By the way, Finding Nemo topped the Weekend grosses with over $70 million. Unfortuneately, the stinker Bruce Almighty wasn't able to be knocked down by The Italian Job, so it stays at 2nd place while The Italian Job sinks to 3rd. I haven't seen The Italian Job, so I don't know if it deserves sympsthy, but Bruce Almighty doesn't deserve big post-opening weekend grosses.

I can't wait for the outtakes on this one. Why do they always have to release the outtakes attached to the movie several weeks after it's release? Oh yeah, to encourage people to go back a see it again. Well, it's working, at least for me it is.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

Yeah, if you recall from every other Pixar release (except for To Story), they attach the outtakes to the movie about a month after it's release and then run commercials promoting them (Go see Finding Nemo, now with new outtakes!). They were going to do it with Toy Story, but they ran out of money, and frankly, that movie was going to make or break them, they weren't about to spend money they didn't have that they weren't sure they could make back. Anyway, yeah, in about a month you can expect to see commercials promoting outtakes in Finding Nemo. Has anyone else seen Finding Nemo yet? Are SB and myself the only Pixar affictionados on DD?

Well, I went to TS2 and MI on opening day and neither of them had outtakes, but my TS2 and MI DVDs have only one set of outtakes while my BL DVD has two, and "Original Outtakes" and a "Alternate Outtakes", so you're right about BL, but I'm right about TS@ and MI, and probably about FN.

Ok, you're probably right. I don't think I saw TS2 or MI on opening day. But if they do put outtakes in Finding Nemo, they'd have to take out all the other stuff that goes on during the credits to make room. But I'd like an excuse to see it again, so sure.

Probably no one other than Jax cares about this news, but Pixar's contract with Disney is up soon (if not renewed, The Incredibles will probably be the last Pixar movie released under Disney's name). Most people in the business didn't think the contract would be renewed because of the notorious bad relations between Michael Eisner and Steve Jobs (Eisner seems to have bad relations with everyone, anyway) however recently it seems that the two companies are on the verge of an almost unheard of deal. Seems that in order to keep Pixar associated with Disney, the Mouse is willing to offer a deal very similar to the one that George Lucas has with 20th Century Fox. Basically, Pixar pays Disney a fee to distribute the film, and then they keep all the profits for themselves.

Damn you! The british public still have MONTHS to wait before finding nemo hit's our silver screens. We're looking at an autumnal release date.

But also surely Disney can't afford to even think about not renewing Pixar's contract. In my opinion the Pixar-Disney collaborations have been the best movies Disney has produced in a long time.

Just tell me there aren't any singing fish in this one, Toy Story was so close to perfect if you blip out the Jesse singing bit.

Nope, no singing fish. Personally I kinda resent the fact that modern movie audiences get annoyed by the classic Disney musical set pieces. Their movies were better when they were musicals and it's sad that they had to stop having them. And that wasn't Jesse singing in Toy Story 2, it was Sarah McLachlan. Just think of it as another Randy Newman background song.

I have to agree with you SB I love the singing pieces in the Disney movies, cause think about it what would the Little Mermaid be with out Under the Sea? or Sleeping Beauty with out I know you? I mean they would still be great movies but they would be incomplete.

:D

I like the musical musicals, but I just didn't like the idea of someone singing as if they're the character but the character on screen isn't actually singing...if you get what I mean.

I mean, I liked the randy neuman stuff from the first TS movie, the whole 'you got a friend in me' which sets the mood nicely.

n my opinion the Pixar-Disney collaborations have been the best movies Disney has produced in a long time

Disney has little to nothing to do with the quality of the Pixar movies. Pixat makes them and basically takes care of all the creative parts of the movie. Once it's done, Disney just promots and disturbuted. It's important for a film's success to have a company that's good at promoting and distributing a movie (just as Kevin Smith about his feeling about Gramercy), but Disney has had nothing to do with how good the Pixar movies are, I mean just look at Disney's solo effort at CGI, Dinosaur :ill: . I think Pixar has gotten enough respect and name recognition that they don't need Disney to promot a movie, but it could nonetheless hurt their sales. Creatively though, I don't think Disney is helping them. If anything, Disney is holding them back.

As for songs, Everyone knows that Disney's best movie have songs. People critisize those songs alot, but they never bothered me, quite the opposite, I loved them (the good songs anyway). I guess post-Lion King Disney was looking to change things because they were producing crap (I only like 3 post-Lion King non-Pizar movies: Hercules, The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch). As for the Sarah McLachlan, I think that that song does the same thing the Randy Neuman songs did, set the tone. Pixar took a leap of faith having such a somber song and montage of footage of Jeese with Emily. You really get to feel what Jeese feels and see where she's coming from in a very short amount of time. That scene tears me up inside everytime and effects me on an emotional level the way only a few movies can every time I watch it (William Wallace screaming 'Freedom!' while being tortured in Braveheart is another). Pretty impressive for animation (and animation of non-human characters).

Creatively, Pixar doesn't need Disney anymore. But financially, they're good to have. Pixar can make great movies, but it doesn't have the merchandise manufacturing plants Disney does. It doesn't have its own stores to sell merchandise in. It doesn't own two movie studios and about 6 tv channels to advertise with. It doesn't have a theme park that has rides based on their movies. Disney has the ability to make Pixar's movies even more far-reaching and immortal than a movie alone could. Does Pixar need it? No, but it's sure nice to have.

• 2 weeks later...

a bir late into the conversation I guess, but I finally got to see finding nemo. Easily the best thign I've seen this summer. Sure I enjoyed matrix, X2, and hulk, but I was absolutely engrossed by every second of this movie and was genuinely emotionally affected and connected to these characters, which is more than I can say for anything else that's come out this summer. Pixar makes it look easy to put out the most creative, funny, and heartwarming movies on earth. This one's a classic at least on par with their best, and based on the trailer for the incredibles, it doesn't look like they're stopping. As far as disney goes, Pixar don't need em, but it is indeed nice to have a limitless budget, and disney had better not be dumb enough to let the only people producing classics for them get away.