Hondo's Bar

Is traditional animation dead?

Silent Bob

Is tradition 2D animation dead?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas will be the last hand-drawn full-length animated film ever produced by Dreamworks. The film reportedly cost $70 million to make and has only made $23.3 million so far, prompting Dreamworks' decision. Jeffrey Katzenberg, who once helmed Disney animation through some of its biggest hits before moving on to help found Dreamworks, has told the New York Times "I think the idea of a traditional story being told using traditional animation is a thing of the past." Personally, as a long-time animation fan, I find an attitude like that from someone like him to be saddening.

On that same note, IMDb recently posted a survey about this question, and an overwhelming 73% (or so) said that they would still go see a hand-drawn animated film if the story was a good one. But in Hollywood, it doesn't matter what people say, it matters what they pay for.

So what do you guys think?

Hmm...maybe with the Disney crowd & that kind of budget, yes. I think much of that budget goes to bad musicals & bad voice acting (just because you can act doesnt mean you can voice over worth a crap), but i could be wrong.

If anything, it stays alive via anime, as well as becoming a niche form. For instance, when you want to tell a different kind of tale, avant garde or what have you, you can cel shade it, or hand draw it, or a combination. I cant really see how an art medium "dies", just how it leaves the mainstream.

"People bitch about comic artists drawing on computers....nothing changes. I imagine painters went through the same thing a long time back when they first started using brushes instead of their fingers." - (paraphrased) Darick Roberston, artist of Wolverine

Actually computer work was integrated in with hand-drawn animation as far back as The Great Mouse Detective. And you're right, they can co-exist quite wonderfully. But do you think people are still going to go see hand-drawn films? Everyone says yes, but their ticket sales say no. Look at the failures of Sinbad, Treasure Planet, Spirit, Titan AE. Granted, those all (except for Sinbad, which I hear was good) aren't really great movies, but they fare a lot worse than cg movies that aren't great.

If nothing else, anime will keep it alive. Anime, as far as it's come, still hasn't broke into the 'mainstream' in America. And winning an oscar isn't mainstream. Let's see an anime movie be #1 at the box office, then I'd say anime is mainstream in America. And yes, Sinbad, Treasure Planet, Spirit, and Titan AE all did poorly, but Lilo & Stitch did well. Tradional animation just needs to find it's new niche.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived