Hondo's Bar

Favorite directors

I still think M Night is a great director. But he's a pretty clear cut case of somebody who needs to stop writing. For the love of god if he just stopped writing his own movies he might come out with something more interesting than the Village and less self indulgent that Lady in the water, both extremely well directed movies that have nothign else going for them.

Also since I started this thread Alex Proyas went batshit insane and made I Robot. He also made a smaller Aussie film called Garage days which was a pretty interesting hyper stylized film about a rock band trying to make it. It was interesting because the stuff that shouldn't have worked (long goofy CGI sequences and bizarre hallucinations) did work, and it was the simpler scenes that I though fell kind of flat. It was nice to see him do that, and then he made I Robot. That had a few cool action sequences but it was exactly what you'd expect it to be; a lame will smith movie.

Arronofsky made the fountain which I still haven't seen yet. Unfortunately it was over budget and he didn't really get to make what he wanted to, but I'm still interested in seeing it.

I think Alfonso Cuaron is climbing up there as far as young directors go. One thing I really like about him is that he is very outspoken about why he makes films the way he makes them. He'll actually talk about why he doesn't like closeups and such. So it's just nice to know that someone out there is giving some thought about why they're doing what they're doing.

• 3 months later...

The fountain wasn't bad. The stuff that took place in the future was kind of laughable but the present was good and the past weas fucking great.

Lumet just kind of shoves the camera in people's faces. He's not really a bad director (although about 25 of his movies would have you think otehrwise) because he's always very faithfull to the script, but all of his great films are the product of someone else's talent shining through. Forget about the wiz, that's a random freak failure. Try watching Daniel, Murder on the Orient express, Long day's journey into night, or prince of the city. I dare you to stay awake during that shit.

I do really like Milos Forman, Man on the Moon is excellent too. Can't wait for Goya's Ghosts to come out.

I guess the good outweighs the bad in that he has like 5 classic movies, and noone's forcing you to watch his like 4 other movies; but if you seriously sit down and try to watch his catalog, even just his important films that were hits in the day, you might kill yourself.

And goya's ghosts is Milos Forman's next movie, about the painter. It's finished already, I'm not sure when it's comign out, prolly waiting for oscar season. Also, I think natalie portman is for real nekkid in this one. Unlesss she chickens out again.

• 5 years later...