Hondo's Bar

LO-FI MAGAZINE

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold...

http://www.lofimagazine.com

LO-FI bridges the gap between indie and mainstream culture, and focuses mainly on independent  comic book culture along with music/ movies/ fashion and everything else that appeals to fans of pop culture.

"...you seem to have a grasp on reaching the longed-for demographic that doesn't historically read comics, but is primed to get into the fold (through cool magazine just like yours)."- Brett Warnock, Top Shelf Comics

Quick LO-FI update:

-The LO-FI crew will be appearing on the cover of the Miami Herald's Tropical Life section... we think it's gonna be on Sunday (8/15), though we don't know for sure. Last Wednesday, a Herald reporter interviewed LO-FI about the magazine and the group of friends that run it. Her editor liked the story so much that it was expanded, complete with industry quotes by the likes of Dark Horse Comics. What was originally a small article for Neighbors became a full-fledged cover story. Awesome.

-Carlos, Manny, and I will be heading to the Windy City on Thursday morning, just in time to promote and sell LO-FI #2 at Wizard World Chicago. Bags are being packed, and Unisom will be taken-- how the fuck else will I sleep?

Got in from the Windy City a few hours ago.

Made some cash, got lots of free comics/CDs/DVDs/toys to review, and made TONS of connections (Bendis, Millar, Johns, Vaughn, Mahfood, etc.).

Noice complaints were filed against us at the hotel and some cops almost arrested us at the Chicago Hyatt's bar.

Ain't no party like a LO-FI party, 'cuz a LO-FI party don't stop...

...So when you a young WLN in a metro bus, then you gotta give WLN his props...

You crazy kids...met some big namers there, good work man! Did Bendis really go crazy against DC? That musta been cool shit right there, fanboys frothing at the mouth and all...

Glad you guys got back in safe; on an unrleated note, pickin up my copy of Samurai Executioner over at Anime hurricane, i got Lo Fi #2 to read on the plane to San Fran tomorrow, cant wait to finally check it out! Ill post bout it when i get back in.

Congrats again on the Chi-town con tho, that's nothin but good for # 3.

Nick, thanks for picking up the issue and supporting LO-FI!

I hope you dig it and that you have a safe trip to and from San Fran.

We met some real cool people at WWC. Jim Mahfood and Dave Crossland sat right behind us and were super-nice, Crossland especially. Jim's a little shy and quiet. Probably the most down creator we met was Egg Embry, who wrote a story for Dead@17: Rough Cut. We hung out and talked with Egg for close to an hour, cracking jokes about Sci-Fi Channel original movies and talkin' comics.

I also finally got a chance to meet Jesse from the Subcultures toy art show-- he was awesome, and we had quite a conversation about living in Miami and the "scene." He also gave me a bunch of free toys, which was amazing and completely unexpected.

At this point, we're not worried about getting content for the magazine-- we're focusing on getting advertising revenue. We had some leads at WWC, and hopefully those'll come through. Printing is an expensive proposition.

Tight. Not familiar with Jesse, what's he do? Is he one of the guys that does figures/statues work for hire or wha?

Couple quick Lo-fi questions:

1) Does it help you guys more if i subscribe, or pick it up from Anime Hurricane?

2) How much is advertising, anyway? Mebbe we could buy up a small spot for Hondo's or somethin, that'd be cool.

3) Was gonna offer, if you needed a larger forum, we could host a Lo Fi forum or somethin...i mean, you seem like youve got big plans, so if not, at the very least, if you guys ever pick up a non-yahoo one, i could show you how to work with this Invision board we use; weve gone through Yahoo, UBB, Ikonboard & few others, i honeslty think this ones the most efficent & customizable.

Anyway, just puttin it out there, son!

Tight.  Not familiar with Jesse, what's he do? Is he one of the guys that does figures/statues work for hire or wha?

Couple quick Lo-fi questions:

1) Does it help you guys more if i subscribe, or pick it up from Anime Hurricane?

2) How much is advertising, anyway?  Mebbe we could buy up a small spot for Hondo's or somethin, that'd be cool.

3) Was gonna offer, if you needed a larger forum, we could host a Lo Fi forum or somethin...

Jesse is the curator of Subcultures, which is an exhibition of toys as art. He works for Art Asylum (I think-- he was in the booth all weekend) and created the character Rex Gannon, who'll have a comic put out through Top Shelf. Rex was produced as a limited-edition action figure by Plan B Toys, too.

1. If you buy direct from us, the money goes directly to LO-FI. Retailers like Anime Hurricane purchase an alotment for a certain percentage of cover price (sometimes 50%), so LO-FI makes less money that way. The catch is that you may wait a bit longer for your copy, since we're still working out the distribution of subscriptions. Just ask Dyana. We're busting ass to become more efficient, though, so keep the faith.

2. I don't know the advertising rates, though I think Greg was kicking around the idea of having inexpensive ads towards the back of the magazine for the indie companies that might not be able to drop a grand for full-page ads. If you'd like, I can find out and private message you.

3. Thanks for the offer, dude. We just made the switch to Herorealm.com, who had e-mailed us out of the blue and offered their services and webspace free of charge. At this moment, we're happy with that, but should that change, you'll be the first guy we'll contact.

IC, thanks for the compliment!

We knock ourselves out trying to produce the best magazine we can. We've gotten a lot of compliments from the biggest names in the industry, but there's always room for improvement, and I know we can do better.

Our store has single issues and subscriptions available for cheaper than newsstand:

http://lofimagazine.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...PageID=LzXeIU25

Also, I dropped you a message about advertising, and remember that all prices are negotiable.

Man, I sound like a machine-- I've been e-mailing potential advertisers all day. Ugh.

Cool...if i have any ideas for improvement, ill pass em along fo sho.

Off to your subscription page, see if i can manage - might havta wait till next payday! But thanks for gettin back to me on the ads, i really appreciate that. Hopefully, we'll pull it off down the road.

Ok, so, lookin at it again (that Gameboy NES style with the "Ah, shit son!" Mario was classic, oughta be an avatar)...the thick, glossy paper is badass. Wish i could say i read more of the comics mentioned in there, only a handful im lookin at, but thats cool - means there's a buncha shit to look into.

I liked the Templesmith comic, the dead grrls one wasnt my thing, but its cool to see more sampling like that, you know? That's the best ad to get people into books, i think.

One thing that does throw me off a bit, tho, is the backgrond coloring with the font, sometimes. Check page 44 of issue 2 - that pink is hard on the eyes with the text, especially at the bottom, you know? Same with the green on the next page - mebbe its an indy mag thing to use colors like that, and it does look sharp on some other pages, but on some of em, it really overshadowed the actually text, for me. I might be bein picky, but i can manage the tiny ass text in Lone Wolf & Cub, so its hard to say.

Content-wise...its amazing how much stuff you guys cover in so little room, honestly. Some of its cool, someitmes i almost wish there was more room for certain shit, but youre only like 2 issues in so far, so its cool. Ill say this tho: ive got the standard cover for # 2, and its really workin for you guys...readin it around the hospital like this, ive had numerous people (including doctors) see the image & big ass logo and ask what it was all about, which is nothing but good.

Ive gotta go back and read a lot more of the articles themselves, as i only went through the handful i was lookin for (like that hieroglypics one - hot shit!), but i liked what i saw. Anyway, you guys know a lot more bout what you want outta the mag then i do, just thought you might dig some feedback, lemme know what ya think.

D-

Please drop me an e-mail with your addy... we sent all subscriptions out a few weeks back, and I thought your magazine was included.

I looked through pending shipments in the office and didn't see your name, so I don't know what's up.

Nick-

Again, thanks for all the kind words.

We're still getting the coloring thing together. Some copies printed with darker/more intense color than others, so maybe you ended up with one of those issues. The copy I flipped through at the office looked okay. The DaybyDay interview (the green page) was done by a different designer, and I agree that it's hard to read... you live and learn, right?

*In more LO-FI-related news, the Miami Herald interview with us should be coming out within the next two weeks.

We're also in talks with Doc Reno from BIG106 to do an interview. He called the office Monday afternoon and wants to do something after Labor Day. Cool.

No problem, lemme know bout your ah shit Mario, he's avatar worthy, i tell you.

Make sure to link us to the online Herald article when it goes out, and if Doc Reno comes through, let us know when! Mebbe we can stream/capture the interview to mp3, that'd be cool shit.

I guess "borrow" some icons and stuff from the LO-FI site for the Bendis thing.

Totally feel free to pimp us out-- we'd appreciate the hell out of it, and it would be awesome to have a fan and not a staff member get the word out... sure, you're a little biased, but a lot less biased than us fuckers. :D

Bendis actually got a copy of LO-FI at Wizard World Chicago, but I don't know if he's read it just yet. Manny slipped his card in the copy, and he's hoping Bendis'll drop him an e-mail and tell him what he thought. Don't think he has yet, since Manny would've told me, since we're best pals and fellow Bendis fans.

Lemme run the avatar thing past Greg, though I doubt he'd care. It's not like Mario belongs to LO-FI.

And D, I got your addy. If I have to send the magazine myself, you'll get it. It really bugs me that you're still waiting. What the F?

Archived