Hondo's Bar

Le Tigre

MetalHeart

LE TIGRE

Originally conceived as the live backing band for her Julie Ruin solo project, Bikini Kill founder and quintessential riot grrrl Kathleen Hanna formed Le Tigre, another bold, feminist-oriented trio, with filmmaker Sadie Benning and zine creator Johanna Fateman in 1998. Borrowing a page from Hanna's Julie Ruin output, Le Tigre mixed punk's directness and politics with playful samples, eclectic pop, and lo-fi electronics. The group also added multimedia and performance art elements to their live shows, which often featured support from like-minded acts such as the Need. Le Tigre arrived in late 1999 on Mr. Lady, followed by the From the Desk of Mr. Lady EP in 2001. Benning left the group to pursue her filmmaking career before the recording of Le Tigre's second album, Feminist Sweepstakes, and was replaced by J.D. Samson. Feminist Sweepstakes, which featured a more sophisticated sound and more overtly political lyrics, arrived later in 2001. Remixes followed in summer 2002. ~ Heather Phares & MacKenzie Wilson, All Music Guide

WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU PLAY?

When pulled over by the Texas highway patrol searched, and questioned individually, each member of Le Tigre answered this question (without prior knowledge of the other responses or hesitation) "we play feminist punk electronic music." Apparently the questioning officer was satisfied with this description as we were calmly instructed to throw the remains of the joint we were carrying by the side of the road, obey the speed limit in Texas and,in the future, keep all prescription drugs in the original bottle with the pharmacist's label! We have yet to see our albums appropriately filed in the FEMINIST PUNK ELECTRONIC section that is so popular at most record stores, but we can dream can't we?

Le Tigre is very very nice.

Le_Tigre.jpg

• 3 years later...

ive heard of them for a while now - its funny, some books i like, like Scud the Disposable Assassin, theyve done the whole "soundtrack for pages 1-3 by..." thing, which i dig, and le tigre got named a lot, enough to warrant checking out (god knows i dont know half of what theyd cite anyway).

links, or you know what? is any in your playlist in the other thread?

Le Tigre Kicks ass! I saw them perform in front of the Washington Monument at a protest; it was one of the best shows I've ever been too. Kathleen Hanna is one of the most attractive women on the planet.

Here's a video of them performing their super mega hit "Deceptacon." You've probably heard this song before. If you haven't, you haven't been around enough hipsters!

I like Bikini Kill a lot too. They're absolutely worth checking out.

Le Tigre Kicks ass! I saw them perform in front of the Washington Monument at a protest; it was one of the best shows I've ever been too. Kathleen Hanna is one of the most attractive women on the planet.

Here's a video of them performing their super mega hit "Deceptacon." You've probably heard this song before. If you haven't, you haven't been around enough hipsters!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I like Bikini Kill a lot too. They're absolutely worth checking out.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hell yeah!!! My name is RayRay and I approve this post!

Archived