Hondo's Bar

Oscar winners

Oscars just all got given out, I didn't catch the ceremony, so I can't say if it was any good, but I'll post the winners and see what you all think.

Best Pic - Beautiful Mind - You wont see me complaining here, it wasn't my fav of the year, but it was certainly deserving.

Best director - Ron howard: beautiful mind - Eh, they damned near always give it to the best pic, I swear, iif Lynch won it I would have danced naked in the streets....

Best Actor - Denzel Washington: trainging day - damn, now I really want to see this movie, I'm a little glad crowe didnt get it just because the gladiator one was BS.  I dont doubt that washington's performance was that good.

Best Actress - Hally Berry: Monster's Ball - Very happy to see this, it was hands down the best performance this year, glad she won it

Best foreign language film - No Man's Land - This was the dark horse behind amelie... haven't seen it because this godforsaken city wouldn't fookin show it, supposed to be great tho

Best screenplay - Gosford park - They had to throw this one a bone... I said I thought the screenplay wasnt much special before, but it does juggle like a dozen characters without being confusing, so I'd say it was deserving.

Best adapted screenplay - Beautiful mind - damn, thought this was a great to throw in the bedroom or LotR a  bone here, they really liked ABM....

Conelly won supporting actress, the only true no brainer of the year, LotR got best cinematography, effects, makeup, Mckellan didnt get best supporting actor.  Robert Redford and sydney poitier got honorary award, cant complain about that.  ABM won more than I thought it would.  Feel free to post your praise, flames, or your  "I havent seen 90% of these movies so I can't comment" comments.  All in all I think it wasn't too unpredictable, but certainly shows that the oscars haven't gone the way of the grammy in just sucking complete ass, having an oscar still means something.

Uh....lotta movies to see when Netflix gets em.  

Washington's a great actor, but im surprised bout "Training Day"...guess ill see it before i comment, tho. I know Spiffy liked it.

Are those lifetime achievement awards the academy's way of sayin "sorry we overlooked you a lot"? Im wonderin if De Niro ever got an Oscar (damn well better have), casue if not, theyve prolly got one of these for him just waitin in a storage unit somewhere.

Nah, Sydney Poitier is well know for being the first black person to win an oscar.  He only won one though, so he certainly deserves another.  I know redford won an oscar for Ordinary People, but that was for directing, and that is probably his only one too.  I checked up on deniro thinking it'd be funny if he didnt have any but he has one for raging bull and one for godfather 2.  Scorsese's looking to get an honorary one though, unless the next couple he has coming up beat everything else.

Sydney got it for Lillies of the Field about a construction worker, I've seen it but forgot most about it, it came before guess who's coming to dinner.  And while scorsese has gotten nominations, he hasn't won any oscars.  This year he has "Dino" and "Gangs of New York" coming out so he has a shot of winning one soon... if the two dont cancel each other out.

Done...Actually watched the entire ceremony and finished my quantum hw at the same time.  Whoopi Goldberg kind of laid it heavy with the black jokes.  And I think it was the year of affirmative action or something.  Halle Berry winning for best actress.  Now there was the shockest person there.  She burst into tears and gives the longest speech ever.  She actually thanked her lawyers for god's sake.  Haven't seen Monster's Ball, but the clips the were showing were really cool.  Question,  was she the first black woman to win a best actress oscar like sydney Poiter?  Cause she also thanked almost every black actor/actress out there too.  Wow...I was crying for her after the first 4 minutes...but well we've got to move on.  

I absolutely loved A Beautiful Mind and thought it was 10 times better than LOTR.  And it deserved every award it got.  Don't know if Washington really deserved that oscar being I haven't seen Training Day.  Loved Crowe seriously made me believe he was a true nutso.  Connely just stole the screen.  

I think the segments on Potier and Redford were really moving.  Their mini dedication clips were awesome.  Didn't know Redford was the one who came up with the Sundance festival...and now I think oh....duh...Lots of great western clips through out the evening.  Especially Maginificant Seven.  And the Circus du Oli people were really cool.  Plus the New Animated oscar (SHREK) segment was really cute with all of the animated characters in their seats.

Mosters Inc's won for best score.  And best of all that little animated movie before Monsters Inc won for best short animated series.  So :D what do you think of them apples?  

Enya and Sting sang their prespective scores.  Best make up and set design I think went to Moulan Rouge...that musical still gives me the willies.  But a lot of people seemed to like it.  Oh and woody allen also very freaky.  Didn't know that William Hanna died this year along with Jack Lemmon.  

and the finale...who can resists talking about 9/11?  Whoopi waving goodbye (back turned to the audience) NYPD FDNY K-9...  Long show...went 45 minutes over.  But glad to watch in general.  Bring on the mudsligging! :p

Wish I woulda seen the ceremony now, hell, if anything for whatever it was that woody allen did, I'm a huge fan.  Watching the after shows now so I'm checking out a bit of what I've missed.  Sure, this year was a big "affimative action" one, but I'll say one thing for sure, Berry didn't win that because she was black, that waseasily the best performance, and yeah, she's the first black woman to win an oscar... I don't remember if any others that got nominated deserved it, but she's the first, and she whooped the hell out of everyone else, only sissy spacek came close for me, but I dont think even she beat berry's job.  Dont know about training day, I know a bunch of people will say crowe didnt get it cause of the controversy, but if I were him I'd just scratch out "gladiator" from the other oscar and have "A beautiful mind" engraved into it.

Oh, the one thing that I just completely didn't like about the winners was that Amelie got shafted!  I'm not even talking about No Man's Land winning best foreign pic, I'm dying to see that and it could be better, but amelie was nominated for 5 and didnt get anything!  Dammit, loved that one and they wouldn't even part with the cinematography one or something... Wish there was a "Goddammit, this movie deserves and Oscar" award.

I thought the oscars were really disappointing this year. 'Beautiful Mind' was not a great film. Want to see a "hard being a genius film", rent Pi.

The only award I was glad about was Denzel Washington's award for Training Day. That is one ass-kicking movie. Junkerseed, IC, see that movie, much better than all the trailers, etc suggest. Not a big Denzel fan myself but decided to sit through that movie and felt all the better for it.

As for David Lynch, I woulda been out that door butt-naked before you Junkerseed. Mulholland Drive, how fucking great was that movie?

Overall I thought all the nominations were flat this year, only movie that sparked my interest that had a chance of winning was 'In the Bedroom', but no, Hollywood does love their Australian actor. What a sham!

I think ABM was just fine, I've said a bunch of times before that I don't think it's the best of the year, but I don't really expect them to give it to the best of the year anymore.  The best ones this year for me were Amelie, Royal Tenenbaums, Monster's Ball, In The Bedroom, Mulhulland drive, and Memento,... and uh, we saw the insane amount of oscars all of those got... hell, only one of those got an oscar at all.  Not gonna complain about ABM tho because I thought it was a really good movie and I think Crowe did a damn fine job.  I think they should have laid off on giving it damn near everything it was nominated for.  They could have shown appreciation for the other movies that came out this year...  And god forbid they give Lynch an Oscar.  Anything that's kind of risky or different doesn't have much of a chance.  The way it works is that movies that everyone can agree on are usually chosen...  And the movies everyone can agree on usually aren't the BEST... just very good.  I mean, if they picked Moulin Rouge I know lots of you people would be pissed as hell, but a bunch of other people thought it was the best one this year.  (I'll give it a chance and check it out at some point, when I'm very bored)  I guess if something like Mulholland drive won we'd be happy as hell but a bunch of other perfectly intelligent people probably hated it.  They just pick the safe one and everyone is content knowing that at least a bad movie didn't win.

Far too much politics in award ceremonies these days. Personally ABM made me want to spew but I can also see why people liked it, and why people liked Titanic, and why people liked Pearl Harbour and all those other great (shit!) movies.  :angry:

I hate this whole thing of Oscar Season too. The only films that seem to get nominated are recent films, what about great film made less recently, Ghost World, Battle Royal, those don't get a look in, because,

a) They weren't popular enough

b) They were released at the wrong time of the year

You may say that, because they weren't popular enough then they shouldn't win an oscar but it is Hollywood that often dictates what becomes popular by saying what will and will not be released in big cinemas. Prime example is Warner Village who only showed 'Crouching Tiger...' when it was nominated for loads of oscars and is not even showing 'The Royal Tenebaums' despite its cast.

The movie industry is bullshit, I hate it, I hate it.

Sorry, bit early and I need coffee.

Bah, yer an idealist.  You expect way too much from an orginization that big, well established, and mainstream.  I'm happy with the oscars because they havent gone the way of the grammy in just giving the worst of the worst garbage an award.  I still say if you go out and rent something because it won best pic, you're going to get a pretty good movie.  Might not be the best movie of the year, but you compare that to the shit that the grammys pull and you gain a little respect for the oscars.  And yeah, the stuff about movies being released at a certain time of year is completely true, and I hate it because then like 800 good movies come out in one month, and I wouldnt mind if this godforsaken city would put on more than one independant/foreign flick at a time.  I miss half of these because they all come out during oscar season.

Just remembered MLB, finally got Battle Royale in England last weekend, Ireland had sold out! Haven't got to watch much of it but I've a week off now and loadsa shit to catch up on.

The only dissapointment is it didn't have a Beat Takeshi exercise video! Oh well, I'll just have to loop that scene! :D