Hondo's Bar

The Manchurian Candidate

The NZA

movies_manchurian.gif

Ok, since the review of this one didnt survive the purge...

Well, Chiefy put me onto "Man on Fire", and then this one, so im gonna listen to him from now on with Denzel movies.

This movie was really great, on a number of levels - acting (even outside of Denzel's) was strong, for the most part, and the plot was very interesting.

The gist of it inovlves the Gulf War, and an incident that propelled one Lt to a Kerry-like position, glorifying a handful of events to portary him as a hero. The question lies in the fact that some of the soldiers dont remember the incident happening the way its being told, and begin questioning whether it happened at all.

Half the fun, for me, came from the clever writing; in the background, thre's a lot of parallels of our current administration...the writers obviously had some fun with it. But like "Consipracy Theory", to some extent, this movie had much to do, at parts, with paranoia - keeping you guessing if there really is some big plot behind Denzel's fuzzy war memories.

It's clever, without being pretentious, i felt, and given the subject material, its fairly straightforward & approachable, i felt...if youre up for a good political thriller, or simply another great Denzel movie, dont pass this one up, seriously. I saw it the same day as "The Villiage" with miss Heartlessbitch, and tho both were good movies, this was the most intresting one id seen in a while.

Interestinlgy, im told it comes from an older Rat Pack movie - id be interestd to see how faithful the theme of this one stuck with that.

yeah, i really liked this movie too. it was very smart and had great acting. i can't believe you've never heard of the original. then again, i still haven't seen it. i've heard it's more of a reimagining of the original than a remake (whatever that means...guess i'll have to see the original to find out).

Meh, I hate when the old one is referred to as a "Brat Pack movie". Yes, it had Frank Sinatra in it (in one of his best roles ever) but it was no Ocean's 11. It also starred Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury and Janet Leigh, was directed by the great John Frankenheimer and is considered one of the greatest political thrillers ever made (though, no doubt, it would seem slow by today's standards).

Archived