Hondo's Bar

Bite Club

Da Cap'n

Ok, so now that I OFFICIALLY work at Anime Hurricane (local anime/comic store for those that are not from Miami) I have been exposed to some new stuff! Not that I don't like veriety, I just never had the money to deviate from my norms!! Now I have the opportunity to try some stuff that I normally wouldn't and it comes in the form of this (semi) new Vertigo title entitled Bite Club!!

It's basically about a Vampire Mafia Family that gets thier "Don" killed and now have to figure out who did it (I say Warewolf... J/K)! Oh and it happens to take place in MIAMI!! Ok, so it doesn't sound to promising so far, but I read the first issue and was quite impressed (having the setting in Miami didn't hurt either)! It's got a weird idea, but I think so far it's got potential! I wanna read issue 2 and see where it goes!

It also has a KILLER cover of one of the main Vampire chicks drawn by Frank Quitely (of New X-Men fame) lookin' all sexy and shit! I say give it a "stab"... (tough crowd), but just don't get your hopes WAY up!

BITE_CLUB.jpg

..you know, at first, i did too; there was this greasy wolverine he did for a wizard cover...eh.

But his art grew on me; KOS, you get to read "Sandman: Endless Nights"? His Destiny story was beautfiul.

Handnt really followed this one (its a mini, right?), but i think its in a series of em...there was a few before about vamp chicks in hollywood, as i recall.

Its a shame that Anime doesnt carry the trades, but Panch, if youve a chance, look at their back issues of both 100 Bullets and Y The Last Man (fuck, both threads are gone! :D ), some amazing shit vertigo's got goin right now, and i really think youd enjoy the later one at least.

Good review tho man, keep em comin!

Woah, I didn't catch that Quietly comment by KoS! Yeah, I'm with Nick... I didn't like it at first either, but after a while you realize that he really is awesome!! I love his shit now!! He didn't do the inner-art, just the cover (I love that cover, by-the-way), but the dude that does the art isn't that bad either (kinda like Allred style except not as cartoony)!!

I just finished this series and I was really happy with it!! It got pretty crazy towards the last issues and had a nice twist at the end (can it actually be a twist if thats what I thought was gonna happen anyways)!! I highly recommend it!!

• 1 year later...

BiteClubVCUCv1.jpg

Bite Club: Vampire Crime Unit came out last week and since I liked the original series so much, I checked this one out!

Good stuff!

It really doesn't make much change from the original (which is good)! Quietly is back on the covers and as you can see there just ass bad ass! Coward Fakin, I mean, Howard Chakin is back on the writing duties! Check this one out and if you didn't read the first, check that one too!

Archived