Hondo's Bar

Best Spielburg Film

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Obviously I had to left out some gems like Hook and AI, but if you like either of those better than all those listed above then I don't think you have the brain capacity to process the motor skills to operate a computer keyboard or mouse, so I think we're ok. I think I got all the best ones up there. I was basically picking between the two most obvious choices (these are all really good movies, so I guess there's not really obvious choices): ET and Schindler's List. Guess I went with ET because it alot harder to make a 'kiddie' or 'family' film so damn good. History dramas are a bit easier to make into 'good' movies. Was a tough choice though.

I went with Schindler's list, but it was sort of a hard choice.  The guy's a fucking brilliant director that takes too much flak because people actually go see his movies.  AI was an understandable flop, and I think he did fine considering the challenge it must have been adapting a movie made by a director that was his complete opposite...  I seriously think that the last half hour was like... never intended to be in the movie... like, it was supposed to be deleted scenes on the DVD but they accidentally shipped that reel of film to theaters....  Eh, yeah, but ET is a close one, as is Indiana Jones and Jurrassic park, um, the first one.  Saving private ryan's up there too.  Can't wait for minority report.

Obviously I had to left out some gems like Hook and AI, but if you like either of those better than all those listed above then I don't think you have the brain capacity to process the motor skills to operate a computer keyboard or mouse, so I think we're ok.

You can be a condescending fuck at times JMT, everyone's opinion is their own, there's at least a dozen threads by now that you've made similar comments. By all means share your opinions but don't force em down others' throats!

"No contest"? Well, good thing I decided to include it in the list! Question. Have you SEEN any of the other movies on this list? I mean, I have no doubt you legitimately love the movie, but "no contest"? I think when ET and Schindler's List are in the running, it's always a contest.

heheheh, that's exactly what I was thinking.  

"Damn JMT, just because people's opinions are different, doesnt mean they're just wrong."  

:: a few minutes pass::

"No contest!  I love Empire of the Sun, it is a fine peice of cinematic work, I enjoy it much more than the others on this list, and therefore my vote shall reflect this opinion that I hold."

:: a few more minutes pass::

"NO CONTEST?!?!?!? YOU FOOL!!!  HOW DARE YOU TAINT MY POLL WITH YOUR INSOLENCE!!?!?  YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY AN IGNORANT PEON WHO REQUIRES SOMEONE WISE IN THE WAYS OF FILM TO VOTE FOR HIM!!!"

Haha, I see JMT is getting uppity again. If only there was a tantrum emoticon.

As for 'Empire of the Sun', I've already suprised IC with that as being my fave Spielburg film a while ago in another topic. Its the one of his that always gets overlooked by critics who seem to dismiss it as one of his mediocre works. It actually completely restored my faith in the man when I saw it. Plus its got one of my fave songs ever to be used in a film in it, 'Suo Gan', which I found out later is actually a Xmas song.

And yes I have seen E.T. and Schindlers List, both good movies in my opinion. The "no contest" comment mainly referred to the fact that I've thought about it before this topic started.

It just seems that "no contest" is what you say when you talk about Dexy's Midnight Riders' best song. Come On Eileen, no contest. When you say 'no contest', to me it means everything else is shit and there's no need to even consider it. And as far as the Hook and AI comment, if anyone wanted to vote for either of those you have my fullest apologies that you wanted to vote for them.

When you say 'no contest', to me it means everything else is shit and there's no need to even consider it.

So if someone asked me my fave type of sandwich and I jumped in with "PB & J no contest", you would think I hated everything else from 'cheese and pickle' to 'chinese-style chicken'? ???

Yes, exactly. That would mean that no other sandwich even came close. It would mean PB & J was the only team in the major leagues of sandwiches and all other sandwiches were in the little leagues (hope baseball analogies don't confuse any brits out there).

Example: Who would win? The Brazilian National Soccer team or my High School Soccer team? No contest, Brazil.

the reason you say no contest is because there's no need to have them play against each other is because Brazil is so much better there's no need to see them play to know who would win.