Hondo's Bar

Gandhi

B00003CXA4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

tell me that's not some amazing DVD packaging

Finally got around to seeing this, and this was one of the most moving peices ive seen in a long time. I was convinced Kingsley was Indian, for one. For another, even though the intro to this hefty, 3 1/2+ hour flick tells the enidng (as does history), you actually put it to the back of your mind, and really dont want to see it go.

Great performances by Martin Sheen and a number of indian actors/actresses i dont know, but a damn fine movie over all. I dont buy/keep many DVD's, but i look forward to keepin this one alongside Braveheart, Malcolm X & Micheal Collins one day. Gonna send it to miss Heartlessbitch soon, but if you havent caught it & are into epic historical dramas like I am, make this your next movie.

Amazon's better at this than i am:

Sir Richard Attenborough's 1982 multiple-Oscar winner (including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor for Ben Kingsley) is an engrossing, reverential look at the life of Mohandas K. Gandhi, who introduced the doctrine of nonviolent resistance to the colonized people of India and who ultimately gained the nation its independence. Kingsley is magnificent as Gandhi as he changes over the course of the three-hour film from an insignificant lawyer to an international leader and symbol. Strong on history (the historic division between India and Pakistan, still a huge problem today, can be seen in its formative stages here) as well as character and ideas, this is a fine film.

Theyre right; its the amazing (and believable, even in the movie's allotted time) transition of the main character that reminded me of Malcolm X. It made me want to study the creation/division between India and Pakistan more. For those interested in the man's message, Gandhi's grandson runs a site/cause for nonviolence right here (2T, i learned about it from the forward to Marvel's 411, ironically...)

Yeah, I bought it a few years ago while in Italy. I'd nothing to do other than drink grappa and hit on girls (neither of which were going too well - grappa + tryna be smooth = no no) so I picked up a few DVDs and I decided to try it out and man was I blown away. I didn't really know too much...well anything really, about the feller and I was well impressed. The time flew by as well (I loved the intermission - if that's not a smoke break I don't know what is :D ).

The extras were pretty cool too, although maybe a bit too short (the Gandhi vids/audio clips). This is definitly a flick that everyone should check out. If you don't trust me (and sometimes I don't trust me, I mean one of the gems of my DVD collection is "Castle Freak") take it from IC - go go go go go rent/buy/steal this flick!

oh yeah 411 remember that!

• 8 months later...

I finally saw ther 1980 movie Ghandi, staring Ben Kingsley, Candice Bergan, John Guilgood, Martin Sheen, etc. AMAZING! BREATHTAKING! I think this should be required viewing for every person on the planet! Gives a good intro to the philosophoes and life of one of the greatest men to walk the Earth. I think it balanced the human cost and frailty of this system of non-violence, but underscored it's absolute neccesity. I wept more than once at the tradgedy and beauty of this film. It shook me to the core.

I dunno I always pegged Bloodrayne as the cinematic performance of Kingsly's life. I mean it's hard to get better than that. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Seriously though I have alwyas meant to see this one. I'll track it down.

Though I am scared for Kingsly now, as the last great actor to get a job in a bad videogame movie died shortly thereafter, Raul Julia you will be missed.

Archived