Hondo's Bar

American Comics Looking Like Jp Comics

Recently I went to comic store and looked on the shelf suprised to find american artist drawing like JP artist...

I thought that was kinda strange I even got one not to long a go...Its called dead@17 but still I wanted to know othere opinons on the influence of JP art on US art...

Besides you guys read more american stuff than I do so it make sense to ask the almighty comic kings of hondos :D

Things like do you like? or not? How you feel about it? I'm like WTF...but thats just me :D

I'm guessing by "JP" you mean Japan and not...I dunno...Jurassic Park or something, right?

Hey they must be doing something right over there. Did you know that almost 50% of everything printed in Japan is manga? Not 50% of books, or 50% of entertainment - 50% of everything printed is a comic.

But as for the style coming over here...I dunno. I'm not a big fan of the style itself. It's very very difficult to do well and very very easy to do badly. That's why I think about 95% of it is done badly. But a good segment of the American audience seems to flock to it whether it's good or bad just because it's - wee! - from Japan. I think it's a trend. Someday soon the saturation of the market will pass and there will be another style the public clamors for.

Eh...it started with Joe Mauderaria (Battle Chasers), he did X-Men in manga style and folks went nuts; i thought Wolvy looked like a badass ninja.

But SB's right, people went nuts, and now, many artists make a distcintion between the varied art styles of japanese manga, and what's bein called amerimanga, the american artists' renditions, which has effectively grown into its own form, seen in the mainstream in Marvel's mangaverse stuff. I'm not a huge fan, but i dont crap all over it like some critics might.

SB's right too that its a trend, but there's some things that've been lifted that im greatful for. Scott Mcloud (Understanding Comics) points out that we always used motion lines to display action in comics, whereas even older manga used a blurring effect, the latter of which is much more effective, i think, and is used in almost all books these days (just saw some great examples by Hitch in Ultimates). So, its not all bad, but as long as artists still bring more to the table than what they liked about, say, Blade of the Immortal, i'm happy, personally.

you'd be surprised how many local artists took to the style, tho... :D

I dunno, man, Bagley still uses motion lines to fine effect in Ultimate Spidey. I think both methods work, just depends on what you're going for. The Ultimates is very realistically and cinematically rendered so I can see how a motion line would seem out of place there. But yes, it's a good point, there are many elements from manga that are fantastic and could be employed more often in American comics. I just think it the future it will be done without directly copying the whole of Japanese style. Like, just looking down on my desk I see the first trade of The Walking Dead. I can see a lot of Japanese influence in the expressions, the poses, the layouts of Tony Moore's work in this book, but he's made it his own. I like to think that's the sort of thing it's evolving to.

Archived