Hondo's Bar

Classic war films

The NZA

Like many, i think Saving Private Ryan was the last good war film in a while. I dindt get to finish Enemy at the Gates, sadly, and that's a shame, cause i really got into this genre with :pig: and he showed me how rare it is to see battles, espeically WWII, from any non-american perespective. But there's been a slew of mediocre to bad war films in recnet years - Pearl Harbor, When We Were Soldiers, Windtalkers, The Thin Red Line, etc - and not enough Black Hawk Downs. Though I havnet caught Jarhead or Band of Brothers yet, im hopeful, but i wanted to highlight some of the classics that need to get their due with the younger crowd.

Ill prolly be discussing a fwe greats at some point in the John Wayne thread, such as The Longest Day, Sands of Iwo Jima, Horse Soldiers, etc.

Id love to see good reviews of A Bridge too Far, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Great Escape, Patton, Das Boot, Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Heroes, etc. Ill start with an unkown that's a personal favorite.

1572521775.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I learned about this one from Preacher. I'm a fan of the quiet stories from lesser-known wars, and not many know about the Boer War. 3 Australian lieutenants, serving the british, route a Dutch militia and, follwing orders, promptly execute them. When word of such actions gets out, the brits are again given a black eye, and search for a scapegoat, by court martialling (sp?) said 3. Edward Woodward plays the lead to a tee, the oldest of them, defending their honor (and very lives) in a military court from their commanding officer who is willing to sacrifice the trio to distance himself from the scandal. It's got one of the most poignant lines ive heard in film, and an ending that's more touching than much of what ive seen since. If you can find this one on rental or otherwise, i recommend it.

Don, Ash - props to both of you, havent seen either one but theyre going on my list.

MM - a classic, no doubt, but you gotta sell it to the hondonians that aint seen it....at least a few lines on George C Scott's performance. Still never saw "The Last Days of Patton" speical i left with :ohface: but i figure Dr. Strangelove (also a good entry for this thread) about covers it.

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,000 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

I badly want to see both Breaker Morant and Kelly's Heroes. Thanks for the reminder.

In the meantime, some personal favorites:

iwojima.jpg

Classic John Wayne, good script, campy war film.

glory.gif

One of the most moving films I've ever seen. Based on the true story of a Union officer during the American Civil War who led a battalion of black soldiers against the Confederacy. Deals with prejudice from the enemy's side as well as among the battalion's own ranks.

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,000 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Archived