Hondo's Bar

Building Your Own Arcade

Lycaon

see, ive seen similar projects (though not for sale) and id have to read through to really know (didnt see any pics) but i always figure these things are too complicated for my ass. besides, there's games that beg for this - like, emulating MAME or something, but i cant see playing an RPG in an arcade stand, as much as i loved them growing up.

joysticks > control pads, tho.

• 12 years later...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Right now there are five different cabinets which have original artwork replicated on them:

#1 - Asteroids, Tempest, Major Havoc and Lunar Lander
#2 - Street Fighter 2 Cheampion Edition, Super Street Fighter 2, and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
#3 - Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust and Defender
#4 - Centipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles, and Millipede
#5 - Final Fight, Ghosts 'n Goblins, 1944, and Strider

Other games are currently in the process of trying to be licensed. Their FAQ mentions Mortal Kombat, TMNT and The Simpsons as possible licenses they might go after.

There is some assembly required since these come packed flat. Here's a video showing how to assemble it

:

$400, sold at  Wal-Mart, Gamestop, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, FYE, Hammacher Schlemmer, and SCHEELS with preorders currently up at Gamestop.

looking forward to reviews!

So I know this is for legit making anyway, but say you've got enough room for 10 Arcade games.  Doesn't matter what size they are, just any ten you choose, what are they gonna be?

Rampage

Gauntlet Legends

House of the Dead

Area 51

Star Wars Trilogy

Soul Calibur

Narc

Spider-Man: The Videogame

Time Crisis

My final pick is a game I cannot for the life of me name: it was a Metal Slug-ish type game where you played as either a man or woman, I seem to recall they were both decked out in red shoulder pads.  Each of the levels was element themed (wind, water, fire) and the characters attacked with a sort of elongated punch attack.  The man's was a big boxing glove and the woman's was like a metal fist on a chain, the enemies as near as I recall were these identical soldiers with their helmets pulled down over their eyes so you could only see their faces from the nose down.  I sucked at it but I dumped more quarters than I care to remember into it.

• Really Like 1

those are good...here goes 

Mrs pac-man 

alien vs predator 

street fighter 2, prolly turbo or super 

OutRun 

shinobi

strider 

punisher

crazy taxi 

gauntlet legends or smash tv 

can i pick one of those multis with beer tapper, qbert, frogger etc 

Oooh good idea. Might be worth it's own thread.

Rampage

Primal Rage

Ms. Pac Man

The Simpsons

Bust a Move

Raiden(?) I honestly cant remember if thats an arcade game.... Its one of those topdown bullet hell games with pickups if not that one.

Mortal Kombat

Time Crisis

House of the Dead

Area 51

Tried not to look at Baytor's, but he had some damn good picks.

What a fun idea.

1. Windjammers

2. Arabian Magic(think middle eastern Golden Axe)

3. any of the Raidens

4. Soul Calibur

5. TMNT arcade 

6. Mortal Kombat 3(if there's an arcade version of Ultimate, and I wanna say there is, that one)

7. Donkey Kong

8. Rampage

9. X-men Arcade

10. NBA JAAAAAAAAM

My list is comprised solely of games that can be operated in a generic cab, if I had limitless resources and an unchecked obsession with recovering my childhood I'd have Outrun in the proper case, Time Crisis 2 and Daytona. Oh and you're goddamned right House of the Dead. 

Now I'm thinking more outside the box to stuff like Cruisin' USA and Cruisin' World, that motorcycle racer game, the arcade version of Moonwalker.  This is far harder than I thought it would be when I came up with the idea.  I'm surprised no-one else listed Star Wars Trilogy, that machine is expensive as shit but goddamn it's a lot of fun. 

I'm also proud of all of you for not cheating and saying NEO-GEO.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Haha 1