Hondo's Bar

World Trade Center

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you seen the flick yet or is that just an attempt at ass-kissing Herr Arch and his Republican Reich? :2T:

Seriously though, a little bit of pot-prop woulda maybe made the flick a little better. This is the least Oliver Stone Oliver Stone picture.

Please watch the flick before you cast it another leftist propaganda piece.

Yeah, because historically 9/11 films have just cleaned up at the box office. Remember how big a hit Flight 93 was? WTC is third in the box office right now, getting pummeled by Talladega Nights and even by an awful flick like Step Up. While I can think of many possible reasons Oliver Stone would want to make this movie (penance for Alexander, for example) somehow I seriously doubt "cashing in" is one of them.

Yeah, actually 2T, it was a free screening for me, but in essence your right.

It was done poorly.

I mean, to take a drastic event like 911 and then turn it into a Hallmark Movie of the Week seemed to "fake" for me.

Again, Stone has no reason to make this film and make it now.

But he did.

I can honestly say I have enjoyed some of his films in the past (Platoon/NBK)... I just didn't dig this one at all.

I guess you could say it's misleading to show it so prominently, but it's not unfactual. McLoughlin, the officer Nic Cage plays, went because he had experience with the World Trade Center from working the 93 WTC bombings, so he remembered where everything the buildings needed in an emergency could be found (I don't remember exactly, you'd know better than me, Nick...whatever a high-rise might have to help against fires...he knew where to quickly find all that stuff). That's why they went there in the first place. As for actually going into the buildings, that was simply because they volunteered to help evacuate people. And of course no one's going to let them go into burning buildings without the proper equipment, hence the FDNY gear.

Now I haven't seen the movie, this is all just stuff I remember from reading about McLoughlin and his story, so if what happened in the film is completely different then yeah, I guess it's unfactual. Otherwise I hear it's supposed to be pretty damn close.

i wasnt aware of that, that's cool to know, at least. And yeah, only the stations in that area are usually familiar with everying from extinguishers and srpinkler heads to water mains and escape exits, so given the chaos that day (you had so many unaccounted for, cause guys on their off-duty shift were just grabbing their gear, banding up & getting on scene with no one to report to), it makes perfect sense that any other civil servants familiar with the layout wouldve jumped in as well, i just never thought of it.

I won't PAY to see it, since it siply glorifies what happened.

Do ANY of the profits go to the victims families?

See this a great point LD, GREAT POINT!

Fuck!

I agree with Lockdown.

This is what I'm talking about... every fucking dime...okay I'm egaggerating, but a hefty proceed of the profit on this film can be deferred to the WTC charities etc etc.

I'm sure this won't happen, since Ollie needs that new heated pool expanded to include a swim up bar.

:blink:

I'm not quite sure what the problem is here.

The movie, factually, was accurate (according two the two P.A. Officer's who's perspective was used to film the movie).

Nick: as to why Port Authority: WTC is under Port Authority jurisdiction, interesting enough. Apparantly it has to do with the fact that it's the first stop in from Jersey.

Now, I saw the movie...and I have to say that I had no problem with it.

As for Charity: Stone said he's going to give 10% of all ticket sales in every theatre in the United States for the first five days of the movie's release. (not enough in my oppinion, but it's something I guess).

The Charities recieving the money will be:

The World Trade Center Memorial Foundation (50 %)

Tuesday's Children (16.66%)

The Tribute WTC Visitor Center (16.66%)

The New York Police and Fire Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund (16.66%)

Stone didn't want a politicized movie. He wanted to show courage and honor two heroes of that day, and I think the movie did them justice. I don't understand what's the problem here.

Archived