Hondo's Bar

Rock Workshop 101 - The Guitar

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Junker...  let's start the whole lesson thing.

We should meet at a 1/2way point tho, since I'm working from 2:30-6:30 weekdays, its tough trying to get from your neighborhood to Kendal in any reasonable amount of time.  We should meet at Nicks or something, get those fingers calusing!

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Does anyone still care about this thread?

I guess I'll try and open it up again. This thread is for guitarist, complete beginners, experts, whatever. You can ask quiestions, post tabs, let us know how you're doing, give out some pointers, whatever. Everybody remotely interested in this stringed thingamajic is welcome.

As for me, I've been teachin myself for a year now I think. I'm finally playing a few barre chords clearly, I'm confortable with most normal open position chord changes, I've got decent coordination and speed. Anyways, I feel like I kinda almost know how to play this thing now. Right about now I'm trying out songs from Ozma and Third eye blind. Both bands have great melodies that are easy as pie to play. I guess if I could reccommend any of these songs to play it'd be "How's it gonna be?" by third eye blind to get those fancy barre chords down and Domino effect and the tetris theme "Koireskewhatever" by ozma for fun picking stuff. Oh, and a cool one for simple chord changes is "Time of your life" by green day.

Anyways, I just thought I'd open this topic up again, if anybody plays or wants to start playin, it'd be cool to hear from ya.

Wow, this place looks great, props to IC.

I'm still learning my guitar, although since my electric guitar tuner now seems to be working I've favouring practicing distortion over acoustic. Nirvana sounds cool on it, as does some Green Day, Hole and Foos. Great fun since TMTYL showed me that if you put the sound booster button on on the amp and turn the volume down a bit you get a cheap man's distortion. Pedals are for wusses.

On the acoustic I would definitely recommend Eels stuff from Daisies of the Galaxy. Good Riddance is a cool choice. Some White Stripes sounds wicked also. You can go fror the thrash-strum of Hotel Yorba, to the finger-picking beauty of We're Gonna Be Friends. Next Year by Foos is my current playing song of choice at the mo.

Quick Tab: Theme from Halloween

e (1st string) 7 0 0 7 0 0 7 0 0 8 ....and repeat....

Enjoy :D

I've been fiddling on the bass for a while now. I can play the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army's bass line perfectly, and I've got the bass line to Green Day's Longview pretty close. Mostly though, I'm writting my own bass lines, cause for me, that's more funny. I oughta record them sometime.

I'm a bass man at heart. I lucked out and was given a '62 Fender Jazz offa my uncle (he had played in punk bands when he was younger) when I was 11. I still can't play it for shit and have smashed the neck off it (it was done before by my uncle - it seems to be what happens when gigs go wrong - suffice to say it's fixed up) and although it doesn't have the original neck everything else is all original, and it's in pretty fucking good condition as well. I was offered a lotta cash for it a few years ago and although it woulda been nice to spend a few months in Drunksville, I'd never sell her.

I only really picked up the guitar big time when I was around fifteen, and even with seven years behind me I've gotten no better than when I started...don't really need to though when alls ya wanna play is Ramone's-style 2 minute 3 chord tunes. :D So I bought me an SG, thinking that I was all Angus Young. I really wanna get me a Moserite though...

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Cymbal symbols

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have, like so many of you, been browsing through eBay in the hopes of a bargain. Not too much luck until I came across something advertised as a 16" Paiste for a pretty low price. Assuming it's decent, no doubt the price will skyrocket, but that's not why I'm here. There are no markings on this cymbal, and the one possible distinguishing feature is this:

cymbalsymbol6sb.jpg

Now, as I being silly, or does a Turkish crescent seem out of place on a Swiss cymbal? I don't think it's a Paiste. The question then becomes "What is it then?"

cymbalbig4cz.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone want to correct me, and tell me it is in fact a Paiste?

:blink:

Edited by MusicManiac

• 3 months later...

Now i know why its called the "F" chord (or f7)

EVERYTIME I TRY TO PLAY IT I JUST WANT TO SCREAM F#@&!!!!!!!!!!

any sugestions on how to hold down 6 strings with 4 fingers?

greatly appreciated

electric or acoustic? (just wondering what ya playing)

balance the fret board on the ball of your palm and get more reach with ya fingers...

Edited by MusicManiac

Now i know why its called the "F" chord (or f7)

EVERYTIME I TRY TO PLAY IT I JUST WANT TO SCREAM F#@&!!!!!!!!!!

any sugestions on how to hold down 6 strings with 4 fingers?

greatly appreciated

electric or acoustic? (just wondering what ya playing)

balance the fret board on the ball of your palm and get more reach with ya fingers...

Edited by MusicManiac