Hondo's Bar

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Newtype

MofHS_03.jpg

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya follows the high school life of Haruhi Suzumiya, a young and very active high school girl, and those who are caught up in her antics. While Haruhi is the central character to the plot, the story is told from the point of view of Kyon, one of Haruhi's classmates.

Kyon is an ordinary freshman high school student who has recently given up his fantasies of espers, time travelers, and aliens as he left middle school. When he chooses to speak to Haruhi, he unwittingly sets off a chain of events which drag him into surreal situations; he is drawn further into a world eerily like the fantasies he had just managed to outgrow, with Haruhi at its center.

I really can't go into to much details without giving plot or all the crazy stuff that goes on in this show. At first I had no idea what to make of this show because of the first ep but then I found out that the first 11 eps were shown not broadcast in chronological order. So once I got pass the first ep it was an awesome show.

To give you an idea how big this is:

The series has been met with a great deal of popularity and a dedicated fanbase and has become a cult television series. As of December 2006, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the most popular anime in Japan according to Newtype magazine.[21] Fans of the series call themselves "Haruhiists" (in the same manner that Star Trek fans are Trekkies), and the collective fandom is known as Haruhiism.

On May 30, 2007 the SOS Brigade Invasion Tour was announced for Anime Expo 2007 on June 30. Aya Hirano, Yuko Goto, and Minori Chihara will be attending this event, "being flown in directly from Japan." Anime Expo attendees will able to participate in the ASOS Dance Contest held on Friday and the winner will have the chance to dance on stage with the guests of honor. Ever since the event was announced, advance ticket sales for pre-registered attendees have caused AX officials to cut down on the amount of tickets sold due to the overwhelming amount of advanced tickets sold (despite the event being free of charge to attend).

Preview

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You people are missing out on a great show.

The official Japanese website for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya television anime series has announced further details about the franchise's next anime project. In the spirit of the first anime series and the Haruhi Suzumiya science fiction comedy light novels that spawned the franchise, the announcement was made in a roundabout, cryptic manner.

On Tuesday, the site "disappeared" and began displaying a false error message that read, "The page cannot be found." A second message then appears over the first message; it states that a computer program is starting up and prompts the user for a password. If the user enters "K," "N," "S," "A," and "K" (the initials of the family names of the members of SOS brigade, the main characters in the series) into the password fields and selects the radio button to the right, a fake xterm terminal session opens. A series of messages from "YUKI.N" confirms that the key to the "emergency escape program" has been found and asks for a final confirmation before starting the program. If the user hits the enter key, a new page opens that shows the character Yuki and lists the production credits of the new series.

The page reveals that the previously announced second anime season of Haruhi Suzumiya has been "cancelled" and replaced with a new animation project. Yasuhiro Takemoto (Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Lucky Star) will direct the new project, and Kyoto Animation will still be animating as it did for the first anime project. As in the previous anime project, the fictional "leader" of the new anime project is the character Haruhi Suzumiya herself. The "disappearance" of the website on December 18 at 4:00 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) is a reference to the pivotal date in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, the fourth volume in the light novel series and an apparent indication of which novel plot the new anime project will adapt.

I want to see this one, but for some reason I can't. And that reason is: I found a web from were to download it, right? Well, It's in Mp4 format and I dont know why, my motherfucking Quicktime refuses to let me see it. I can hear the sound, but no image.

Suggestions? Anyone?

I saw all 14 episodes between last night and this morning. I was a bit confused myself because of the order in which I saw them... however, wehn I looked at Wiki for the episode order according to the DVD, the anime made more sense.

I think it was a sweet story... but it left me with more questions than not. I did have fun with the whole idea that Haruhi was this

god like creature who could apparently alternate reality by her moods of boredom

. I think my favorite antic of hers is obviously the violation of poor timid Mikuru. Especially that part when she tries to get a computer for the SOS Brigade and she literarly black mails the Computer Society Club... hysterical!

Also, I think that Ryo needed to chill out more. He was way to blah! At certain points I'm like come on man! Just go with the flow and stop critizing! I guess his whole thing is that he gave up on believing in espers, magic, and aliens when he grew up.

The shows concept is really interesting because it made me think if I could

change reality to make life a bit less boring

, what exactly would happen... You know?

All in all it's a good show. I liked it. I think I'll watch the second season. Whens' that coming out?

Reason for edit: Added a spoiler tag.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Season 1 was great

Season 2 started fine

It started going downhill after episode 2 when episode 3-4-5 are the same as 2.

Everybody is stuck in a time loop that keep repeating over and over and over and the next episode is the SAME DAMN THING.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived