Hondo's Bar

Paul Oakenfold: Greatest Hits & Remixes

51E9sYN1gjL._SS400_.jpg

Track Listing

Disc: 1

1. Skunk Anansie - Brazen (Weep) (Perfecto Remix)

2. The Cure - Close To Me (Closer Mix)

3. Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground (Perfecto Remix)

4. Oakenfold - Starry Eyed Surprise

5. Happy Mondays - Step On (Twisting My Melon Mix)

6. Justin Timberlake - Rock Your Body (Oakenfold Remix)

7. The Stone Roses - Waterfall (12" Remix)

8. Bad Apples - Get It On (Club Mix) *

9. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (Perfecto Remix)

10. Mark Ronson - Stop Me (Exclusive New Oakenfold 2008 Remix) *

11. Oakenfold ft. Pharrell Williams - Sex N' Money

12. Arrested Development - Mr. Wendal (Perfecto Mix)

13. Mansun - Wide Open Space (Perfecto Remix)

14. Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives (Perfecto Remix)

15. Robert Owens - I'll Be Your Friend (Perfecto Re-edits)

16. Shamen - Progen (I.R.P. In The Land Of Oz)

17. U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)

Disc 2

1. Olive - You're Not Alone (Oakenfold & Osborne Remix)

2. Oakenfold ft. Brittany Murphy - Faster Kill Pussycat

3. Radiohead - Everything In It's Right Place (Exclusive New Oakenfold 2008 Remix) *

4. Groove Zone - Eisbar (Exclusive New Oakenfold 2008 Remix) *

5. Dirty Vegas - Days Go By (Paul Oakenfold Vocal Remix)

6. Smashing Pumpkins - Perfect (Perfecto Remix)

7. Joyriders - Big Brother (Oakenfold Mix) *

8. Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go

9. Paul Oakenfold - Switch On

10. Everything But The Girl - Missing (Exclusive New Oakenfold 2008 Remix) *

11. PPK - ResuRection (Perfecto Re-edits)

12. Planet Perfecto - Bullet In A Gun)

13. Madonna - Sorry (Paul Oakenfold Remix)

14. U2 - Beautiful Day (The Perfecto Mix)

15. Grace - Not Over Yet (Perfecto Mix)

16. Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Exclusive New Oakenfold 2008 Remix) *

17. Oakenfold - Not Over (Robert Vadney Club Edit) *

18. Underworld - Born Slippy Nuxx (Paul Oakenfold Remix)* Exlcusive Track

Some Review from Amazon

Love him or loathe him, Oakenfold has had an indelible influence on UK dance music, particularly by taking it to a wider audience. This mix compilation brings together, for the first time, productions from every stage of his career, from early balearic remixes of The Cure and the Happy Mondays to trancey Cream Anthems and some of the rock-influenced dance sounds he plays today. There are even a few previously unreleased mixes of club classics like EBTG's "Missing".

It may not as cutting edge as James Holden or as subtle as Lee Burridge (both of whom I highly recommend to those with more underground tastes!) but it is a lot more listenable and accessible than the vast majority of dance compilations (and it's likely to stay in your collection for a lot longer). Is it pushing back boundaries and redefining genres? Nope. Will it rock a lot of student house parties, and give a lot of thirty-something retired ravers an enjoyable trip down memory lane? Definitely.

There's some significance in the inclusion of U2 twice on this compilation: arguably the pinnacle of Oakenfold's career was in supporting the Dublin band on world tour in the early 90s, and like Bono's band in the rock world, Oakenfold has a stadium-filling universality which seems to transcend the music. There are those who play faster, harder, or with more intensity and originality; but there's something suitably epic in scale about their music which connects with a wider audience and can fill the enormous venues where they play.

If you're a purist techno fan, this CD is not for you, but if you're a casual listener looking for an introduction to dance music, a souvenir of your mis-spent youth, or something to listen to on a long drive/at a party/while going for a run, this compilation is worth checking out as it's likely to be infinitely more enduring than those billions of soundalike Clubland or Hed Kandi compilations.

There is no doubting this man's influence and production skills, and as a DJ he is superb, infinitely better than Tiesto and these new pretenders. I've seen him live quite a few times, and he's blown me away.

Was shopping one of the days and saw this on the shelf,and decided to pick it up.

Listened to it in the car on the way back, and Nanno commented how easy listening the 1st disc was. I have to say i agree. Its the more laid back, less dancy disc for sure, but there are some great tracks spread over the two.

My personal faves would be The Cure, Sneaker Pimps, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, the remix of Massive Attacks Unfinished Symphony is superb, Mansun, the two U2 mixes, but over all this is a great easy listening dance compilation, which spans numerous genre's.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, and as my mates in England often accuse me of, i love Oakenfold, in true man love fashion!!! :ghost:

I give this 4/5

• 2 weeks later...

I musta missed this one, somehow...ive been an oakenfold fan since either global underground 2 or 3, i forget which, it was one of them that introduced me to him & sasha/digweed. torrent link? ill definitely try this one out, a few of those tracks ive not heard yet & want to.

I still get "ascension" in my head sometimes.

• 6 months later...
is this thread a joke or is that what you guys listen to in the way of electronica?

aw, if youre shitting on oaky, i gotta hear what you listen to, man. i havent followed the UK scene on this end since an exchange roomate i had years back with awesome taste.

• 2 weeks later...
aw, if youre shitting on oaky, i gotta hear what you listen to, man. i havent followed the UK scene on this end since an exchange roomate i had years back with awesome taste.

electronica can be emotional, provoking, challenging, aggressive, soothing... you get the idea. this cheesey clichéd rubbish has none of the aforementioned effect. to name drop some electronica: squarepusher (jazz influenced like hell), autechre, venetian snares, flashbulb, loads of trip-hop, loads of ambient drone shit, grime, decent techno (aphex shit, ken ishii), old stuff like eno, fripp, and krautrock, breakcore shit, chiptune shit like dj scotch egg (makes tunes using his gameboy lol)

vsnares tune:

since you've mentioned the UK, i'll give you a little insight into one of the most growing underground sub-genres around in london, which has yet to hit the US, and probably never will... here's dubstep:

burial tune:

triphop, Portishead tune (surely you know these guys, just released a new album that was dope):

90% of techno is shit, and trance is just a watered down boring version to bore (aka "trance") people and create the clichés that have electronica in general mimicked. electronic music allows us to do what we physically couldn't do with our hands on instruments (listen to a vsnares tune, the time signatures are fucking crazy) - it's a shame the most 'prominent' and popular artists like tiesto are the equivalent to the 14 year old green day lover thinking he's a punk rocker

Its more my pimping of an album by a great "producer" more than anything rather than a reflection on my electronica tastes!

ah, no hard feelings. i just come across a lot of people who think they're electronic experts when all they listen to is oakenfield, tiesto, and peers. i'm saying it's such a wide genre, and alongside classical, jazz, rock, blues, and world music, electronica is one of the biggest genres. many people overlook the genre because they think it's just dance music... on that note, the sub-genre "IDM" makes me laugh: "intelligent dance music"

Archived