Hondo's Bar

Square returns to Nintendo!

The NZA

Taken from The GIA special report

Square returns to Nintendo systems

[03.08.02] » 'bout damn time.

Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun revealed in their Saturday morning edition that Square has finally reached a deal to return to Nintendo's systems after a five-year absence. The joint development project will be headed up by Square's Akitoshio Kawazu, who created the Romancing SaGa series and is part of the Final Fantasy development team. Funding will come from NCL's Fund Q, which Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi started to help advance GameCube development. Kawazu will start a new development team to develop games exclusively for the Nintendo systems. The new team, which will be called Game Designers Studio, should be in place by the end of the month.

No specific titles were mentioned in the report, although it was mentioned that Square is already working on GameCube and GameBoy Advance titles. Square's statement that Final Fantasy XI will be released for multiple systems makes it a prime candidate for release on the GameCube, though it remains a PlayStation 2 and PC exclusive for now. Square has also previously stated a desire to release Final Fantasy V and VI on the Game Boy Advance, making these likely projects.

The first GameCube and the GameBoy Advance titles from the agreement are scheduled for a 2002 release. These will be the first titles Square has released for a Nintendo system since they cut ties with the company in 1996.

Sony was not available for comment.

Basically, this means Nintendo finally finished ranglin up all the big companies.  The X-box, havin blown their damn near exclusive deal with Square, are now very far behind, and the competition with PS2 is about to get really fuckin lively - with Nintendo already havin had Konami, Capcom, Namco, etc (all the other big boys) under their belt, this was the last piece o' the puzzle for em, and now its finally done.  Thank god - for one, this means when FF XI goes online here in the states, there'll be just that many more folks to go huntin with.

'Tis a great day for nintendo, the cube finally got squared.

fuck you nintendo fuck you youu where shit for a whole system (n64) and now you think you can just walce on back and buy out everyone fuck you i hate you i hate you but why did you have to get alot of the really cool games and character  :dissappointed:

Yeah Nintendo fucked up a wee bit with the cartridge system, i admit, but N64 was still fun for a handfull of games - 007, Super Mario 64, Zelda 64 (1&2), Mario Party, etc.

As for cube, i said it was gonna be good, more folks shoulda listened...

oh, KOS - dont worry, Square isnt Nintendo-exclusive, meanin PS2 will still get Square games as well. It just means theyre back with Nintendo, which hasnt happend in about 7 years or so....good ol' Sqaure  :D

Visa.jpg

• 10 years later...

he was ironic before irony tho

weird that i didn't post the PA strip with this. also looking back, 3rd party support didn't really pan out the way i'd hoped...past capcom, PS2 ate everyone's lunch (and they got most of the capcom 5 too). i wonder if this next gen for nintendo plays the same way.

wait, trying to remember now:

Killer 7

RE4

RE0

PN03

Viewtiful Joe? i dont remember

*edit wait wiki says it was supposed to be Dead Phoenix which never came out, guess you're right! weird, don't remember hearing much about that one. anyway GC kept the definitive versions of those games, id say, but only PN stayed exclusive.