Hondo's Bar

New X-Men

The NZA

Yet another fine book i missed out on for the first few story arcs, which Bacchus assures me is a good thing 'cause long as theyre not expensive, i can read em in a row...he might be onto somethin.

Anyway, smaller team of Beast (who's mutated, ya gotta see it), Cyclops, Jean Gray/Phoenix, White Queen (from Hellfire Club & Generation X), lead by Proffessor X once again and of course featuin m'boy.  

So far, a new villian has been introduced who's fucked the team up almost as bad as the old "Age of Apocalypse" did, its a new form of evolution itself, really interestin shit.  Id love to say more but hate to spoil it.

Needless to say, the shit keeps hittin the fan in this one, and the book's finally doin things no writer before had the balls to pull off.  Only a year or so into it, Morrisson plans on telling "The greatest Magneto story" later this year, and considerin the previous stories on that character, its big shoes to fill.

This is one of the few i find myself checkin Marvel.com to see when the next issue's out....i cant say enough good things bout it, just that after a few issues into it, one gets the feel this is how the book shouldve been the last few years it sucked ass.  

On a side note, tho formerly perhaps the greatest X-Men/Wolverine writer, Chris Cleremont, way past his prime, now handles his own series called X-Treme X-Men, and the title tells it all.  Its pretty much where the rest of the characters you like (Gambit, etc) have been shuffled off to, tho he's managed to kill Colossus, Psyclocke, possibly more over there...dont know, i dont fuckin read it.  Sad to see such a great writer dukin it out with Stan Lee for "Least likely to put out somethin good these days".  Anyway, be sure not to mix up these two: stay far away from X-Treme.

Anyway, got the full run thus far on New X-Men, so those interested in readin it (that live nearby), lemme know.

X-Men%202001.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh, ya know i meant Beast, ya dirty whore!

Anyway, he looks like the Beast from "Beauty & The Beast" nowadays, fuckin funny shit. Team even pokes fun at his ass for it.  Seems he's devolving, first he's ape-like, now a feline...

Beast.jpg

Anyway, still your loss, KOS - at least pick up the trade if ya see it cheap.

There ya have it, folks.  Hopefully, there'yll be a forthcomin review from Yahven if he ever gets to read that series (he's currently catchin up on Azarello's Hellblazer stuff).

Like i said, X-Men hasnt been nearly this fun since Mark Waid started off "Age of Apocalypse" or the whole "Onslaught" thing. It seems each issue, a lil more shit hits the fan....since Origin finishes next month, this one's lookin to be the one i count the days until its out.  

Again, anyone round here wants to catch up on it, lemme know.

• 1 year later...

Okay, this thread may be old but I saw it and had to give my 2cents (the Euro variety...that is)...

I gave up X-books a fuck of a long time ago and I heard all sorts of good shit about "New X-Men", so I said feck it and got the first three trades the other day after getting the "Uncanny X-Men" Poptopia trade (which I really liked) and I have to say I wasn't very impressed with it. I never really did like all that space-Shi'ar shit so the "New X-Men" just bored the crap outta me. I like the way the school IS ACTUALLY A SCHOOL now but besides that...blagh. I'm pretty fuggin pissed I forked out 40 clams for the trades.

I'm sticking to Ultimates/U. Spiderman/Amazing SM and Alias from now on.

(Boy am I a Marvel whore)

A reply!

Thats a shame....no, the Shi'ar is shi't most times but the earlier Cassandra Nova arc "E is for extinction". Sorry to hear you didnt dig the trades you got tho, that sucks.

For what its worth, if you ever feel like givin X-Men a go again, im told Bendis (who you seem to be a fan of, off of Ultimate Spidey & Alias) takes the helm of Ultimate X-men soon, might be worth checkin out, even if online...you know Marvel.com keeps the ultimate books online for free, right? Last month's stuff, but its cool....

PS didnt keep up with Alias past the first issue...any good? Feel free to start a topic in this corner on it if ya like.

Yeah Alias goes from strength to strength. It's definitly a book you should consider picking up. Maybe I was a little too harsh on NXM. It does have it's moments though the Beast being gay thing (I have no idea where that came from) was a bit hmmmmm. The stories that weren't Shi'ar were good. The one with Wolvie and 'Angel' was pretty sweet.

I'll be looking out for the Bendis Uncanny. I really liked the 'Poptopia' trade (RECOMENDED!) as I said before and the team was more interesting than the one in New X-Men...(there's only so much Jean Grey one can take and the returning of the phoenix force...recycling old plots I see...) so Bendis better do me good.

Did you see the preview of Wolverine #1 by Greg Rucka and Darick Robertson? It was pretty good. I think the ol' canuckle head may be picked up once again.

wol_leap.gif

Boy is the nerd coming out tonight...

"Just because a guy reads comics doesn't mean he can't start some shit"

Hah. yay someome's talkin comics here again...

Yeah, Bendis is on Ultimate tho so look for it. Yeah, ive heard those 2 are gonna handle my boy...ok, i admittedly have the entire run of Wolverine, im a huge fan, but to be honest, outside of Origin last year...Wolverine's regular series fluctuates. Lately its been readable. It goes through spurts with really good artists and cool writers - Ellis did a good run, even Larsen's was cool i thought - to being shitty again, full of his typecasting or some guy's perception of wolvy as his respective action movie hero. I understand he's a commerical whore of a character but so much more's been done with him...

so yeah im hopeful for the new series; Im not convinced Robertson's ideal for the job after his brief work in Punisher, but he's not bad. I just havent seem him do the spreads & in depth shit he did for Transmet yet, you know? But then, i really didnt dig Frank Quitely's bare-chested old punk Wolverine either. Im not sayin it has to be Adam Kubert, i loved Lenil Francis Yu's work too, but man, i thought Quitely's sucked and im apparently the only guy that did.

Here's to hopin. So you really think Uncanny's an alright bet? Tell ya what, when im back on my feet ill give that trade a go, is that the one with the tabloid-like cover?

Yeah, Poptopia has the tabloid cover.

The preview of Wolvie #1 (WHY MUST THEY KEEP ON RELAUNCHING??) was in Wizaed last month and it was seriously good. After reading it I really want to pick up the second issue when it's released. I like Robertson's art. I thought his work in Fury was excellant (and will even admit to picking up a few of his New Warriors issues back in the day) and Rucka is..well Rucka. The issue was a bit of a departure from the regular wolvie stuph and was all the better for it.

And have no fear buddy, I'm not a fan of Mr. Quitely's work either. :D

Did you read any issues of The Ultimates? That's my #1 book at the moment. The first issue (with Cap in WW2) was amazing and it got better and better as it went on. Fyfe times better than your average banana.

Hah..yeah, I loved Fury, but Ennis did mcuh of it for me. Im taking to Robertson, mind you, but again i think in some of the climatic moments of Transmetropolitan he really shined, im waitin to see that again, you know?

The relaunches...you know how it is, keep startin over, hopin new people will read it even tho they wont...i sometimes wonder if new creative teams jump on and say "what the fuck is..no no, start over."

The Ultimates...i need to make thread here on that one if i havent, anyone i know readin comics - even those against the Ultimate line - is reading this book. I havent picked up the last month or so's issue, sadly, but as of the Hulk/Cap fight...damn. Its not easy, making me care about a Justice League type team, but Millar's doing it alright!

I know what youre sayin with issue # 1 tho...Hitch's art was incredible, Private Ryan-esque, made me wish he'd do an issue of War Story or somethin.

Goddammit, i need to go pick up my comics soon. ???

Seriously...the remaining Marvel titles have largely gotten a creative overhaul (Cable became Soldier X, X-Force is now X-Statix and readable; The Hulk isnt the mindless book it was for so long, etc) so personally if they ultimized everything - meaning top notch writers & artists on the other books that arent already getting that, and simply reset the continuity - i wouldnt be bothered at all. It doesnt change the stories i have in the old boxes when i feel like readin em, and it might even attract new readers.

Tho, like Warren Ellis, i dont think relaunches and commercial characters are gonna bring the old crowd back in. But in any event, i dont think itd be a bad thing either way. Hey if youve a chance, check out Come in Alone - the Ellis-inspired thread on revolutionizing the comics industry

Yeah, Joe Queseda really did great things with my favourite comics group. I read a couple of the Milligan/Allred X-Force books but I didn't for a while but I picked up the last two issues the other day and I wasn't as impressed as I was with the others. Ah well, ya can't win 'em all I 'spose. As for Soldier X and The Hulk...I havn't read 'em yet. Are they worth a shot?

Yeah...and no.

Soilder X started out pretty cool, like the writer watched too much CNN and wanted to make it political, so i enjoyed it, despite what wasnt exceptional art. Im dropping it soon if it doesnt pick up tho - its one of those ones where you can feel the plot could turn really cool but youre kind of just waiting on it through filler arcs.

The Hulk - I sadly havent read the big issue # 50 yet, but i read almost up to it...here's the thing: its no longer a dumb beat-em-up book. Oh, there's action, but...did you read any Ultimate Spider-Man? I thought one strength was how its writing was so strong, it had about 5 issues before an actual costume, fight etc and hardly anyone noticed, i call that good writing/characterization.

Hulk is along them lines..itll be just Banner for a stretch and itll be cool. Theyve made it somethin of a fudgitive book: government & co-op agencies are hunting Banner to use him as a weapon or simply get his DNA, but he must alude them, and not lose his cool - even in hostage situations & the like. Its a lot more clever i think; can get fuckin confusing outta nowhere but you can tell the writer (Bruce Jones) wants it to feel more cinematic. There's angst galore now that Banner's wife is dead, but its surpirsingly good - i think its at Marvel.com as well, you should check out the link i have pinned up in this forum.

Didnt dig X-Statix eh? Shame, it has its ups & downs but it really feels Vertigo-esque at times...this team's willing to kill off its members for PR, not the kinda shit you read much in Marvel ya know? But then i might just be a fan of their mascot, Doop.

Glad to hear Alias holds water, i feel bad for not readin more Daredevil after the 25 cent issue was kinda fun...i dropped that book after Kevin Smith left, and it seems Bendis has done some interestin shit with it..ah well. What else do you read on a regular basis? Ill try to :D out shit i think youd dig based on em.

Ahhh Doop...he sure is good...probably the best thing about X-Statix (besides Allred's pimping art). What else am I reading...currently not much. Just Alias, Amazing Spiderman, Ultimate Spiderman, The Ultimates, The Punisher (which has really started to slump, Garth Ennis or no Garth Ennis) and the new MK Captain America has been on my list for the last few months. In the last while though I havn't really been experiemnting with any new books (except in trades). I liked Zero Girl, but that's just 'cause I have a chubby for Sam Keith. His covers on Marvel Comics Presents (another anthology title that bit the dust...though I 'spose it was getting pretty shitty towards the end of the run) as well as the interior stories he did were amazing, as was some of the Maxx. This still is my favorite cover after all those years...

51598259310.117.GIF

Hah..nice cover!

I was happy to see a recent "Marvel Comics Presents Wolverine" Keith trade lately...you know :D on this board's a huge fan of his work too, i should make a tribute thread.

Im still trying to complete my Maxx run, hard to find these days for soem reason, and seemingly no trades.. ???

Havnet caught it in a bit, sorry to hear Punisher's slumping, but admittedly i recall slow issues...i was loving the new Captain America but didnt like where it was going last i read it, ill keep at it tho.

If you dig Amazing Spider-Man, you might like Strazynski's (sp) other book, Rising Stars, very Watchmen-like at times...you seen any of it?

I havn't read Rising Stars. Is it in trades? I might pick it up if it is.

I managed to get a hold of all the maxx issues (inc. the Friends of, Darker Image, Maxx 1/2, The Gay Comics with Sara, The Gen13 c/o and the Savage Dragon ish w/Maxx in it). I heard that Wildstorm were gonna reprint the whole series a while back but I'm not too sure when it's gonna happen.

Its a few issues shy of finishing, shows up sporadically but i think it ends this year...first few acrs are in trade. Like Watchmen, i think the pace/idea of the book shifts pretty heavily once you get into it, so id recommend givin the first trade a go if ya like, but the series has become somethin else, im really fond of it anyway - superheroes in real society, how would they act, how much good could they really accomplish?

Congrats on the Maxx books...i think i have a thead on that, i should bring it back...

just read back over the last three issues of PUNISHER (the "Brotherhood" arc) and I gots to say I was a bit harsh in my origianl judgement. It actually is a pretty damn good story. Garth has once more created a character (Pearse) who although is a horrible bastard you have sympathy for him. I'd recomend picking these issues up. I had a lapse in my Ennis-faith but it's been restored. Hopefully the next arc'll be just as good.

Now I gotta read over those New X-Men trades but I don't recon they'll impress me the second time over...stupid shi'ar bollocks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey ive been makin threads here right & left, was just addressing new stuff...but no, not much love for comics round here, its mainly you, me and Bob, with the occasional MLB, artistic etc.

And yeah, got a chance to read it tonite, was damn cool. Im curious where Morrisson sees the Phoenix thing going; he and Millar both swear they have the best stories in mind with that element. Last page was indeed a shocker...funny, i was starting to take to Quitely's art finally and now he's gone. Well, here's to the return of Marc Silvestri; i think he takes over this summer or so.

PS 2T - seriously, if you can pick up the first New X-Men arc, "E is for Extinction", i think youd dig it a lot more than the Shi'ar stuff.

Me, im just hyped that Koike (Lone Wolf & Cub) is doin the art for a Wolverine in Japan story next X-Men Unlimited... :mmm:

I can't believe that they offed Emma (no point for putting a "spoiler" here as no ones gonna fuckng read this). She's one of my favorites. She was great in New X-Men. Her students are pretty quality as well. As for E for Extinction, I got that and the other 2 TPBs the other week. It was alright...

I also got the last 2 issues of X-teme X-men today. I'd never tried it and since I grew up with Clairemount I wanted to know what his stuff was like now. I liked it.